No new full-auto or burst-fire firearms on civilian market since 1984?

This is a discussion on No new full-auto or burst-fire firearms on civilian market since 1984? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just to clarify something simple I must not have undestood. Is the following statement correct concerning the US market: There have been no new (legally ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No new full-auto or burst-fire firearms on civilian market since 1984?

Just to clarify something simple I must not have undestood. Is the following statement correct concerning the US market:

There have been no new (legally make or converted) full-auto or burst-fire firearms on the US civilian market since 1984.

Then, if damaged, can these firearms be legally repaired?

Senior Moderator
    Yep
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

you are correct
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Can the firearms be legally repaired?

Say something major happens, can the legality be transfered to other parts if the critical parts are damaged?

So to purchase a $10,000 to 20,000 firearm puts you in the odd spot of purchasing a firearm that might drop to $3,000 or less if laws were changed?

By damaged, do you mean an already legal full-auto machine gun, for which you have a permit or a semi-auto which, by nature of the damage, turns full-auto?

If it's the latter, you have got big trouble (if you don't have a permit) since you now own/possess a fully auto gun.

That actually happened to a Wisconsin Natl. Guardsman when his personal AR-15 broke and went into some kind of burst mode. I think he went to jail for it.

DoubleTapper: A drill instructor in the National Guard convicted in a Wisconsin federal court of illegally transferring a "machine gun"
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    By damaged, do you mean an already legal full-auto machine gun, for which you have a permit or a semi-auto which, by nature of the damage, turns full-auto?...
    Yes,

Assume you have all the permits and legally own a full-auto or burst-fire firarm. If the components that make it a FA or BF firearm break, can you legally replace / repair those parts?

PS - Thxs for the link. Messed up and interesting link.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Yes,

Assume you have all the permits and legally own a full-auto or burst-fire firarm. If the components that make it a FA or BF firearm break, can you legally replace / repair those parts?

I know little of full-auto (NFA?) laws but you might want to join the HKPRO (Heckler & Koch) forum. They have a section on NFA talk. The guys there would probably be able to answer your question.

HK NFA TALK - HKPRO Forums
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Yes,

I have wondered about this too. In the limited research I did, I found that there appear to be 2 distinct methods of obtaining a legal fully automatic weapon. One is to buy the complete fully automatic gun (after getting all the necessary permits and registrations etc etc). The other is to buy the part to convert a semi-auto gun to full auto. I read about the second option being done with AR-15s. After all the registrations and etc. you buy a link (a small piece of metal) that converts the AR-15 from semi-auto to full auto. This link has to have been produced before the machine gun ban and has to be registered. From what I read, the link is essentially the registered machine gun.

I too am curious as to what happens if it is the link that breaks and needs to be repaired/replaced. Does this need to be replaced with a registered pre-ban part or can it be repaired/replaced with any part since you already have an identical pre-ban part which is registered and you paid $3000+ for.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Just to clarify something simple I must not have undestood. Is the following statement correct concerning the US market:

There have been no new (legally make or converted) full-auto or burst-fire firearms on the US civilian market since 1984.

Then, if damaged, can these firearms be legally repaired?
    Ummmmmmmm yeah sort of kind of No......

I believe it was 1986 not 1984.

IIRC Vector bought up a lot of UZI recievers and technically the guns where made before the ban and registered; however, vector releases so many a year. Basically there brand new assembled the manufacture date is still before 1986 but technically there new. But basically its not the gun that is so valuable, its the registered serial number thats really worth the big bucks!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Senior Moderator
    Yes you can legally buy the parts. to fix an existing gun,Some manufacturers will not sell them to you unless you have the proper paperwork.

I read about the second option being done with AR-15s. After all the registrations and etc. you buy a link (a small piece of metal) that converts the AR-15 from semi-auto to full auto. This link has to have been produced before the machine gun ban and has to be registered. From what I read, the link is essentially the registered machine gun.
    Sure, you can pay several grand for an auto sear if it is serialized and has the proper paperwork with it. You still have to apply for the stamp. You still have to have the correct parts.

If that part breaks, then you will have to buy a new one,if you can find it. You will have to go through the same process all over again because it will have a different serial number.

It may be 86' instead of 84. It was sometime around then.

You're on the internet, look it up.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Thanis,

I seriously have a question for you, and I don't want this to turn into the "cough cough" other thread that was locked. But why are you so interested in full auto stuff?

Heres mine by the way, I just like posting the picture....hehehehehehehe

“Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Senior Moderator
    Nice...what year is that?

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Nice...what year is that?
    It was one of the Vector/Group industries UZI's Guns that they bought up I think the actual assemble date for the gun was 2002, but the receiver was made pre 86 obviously. All I care about is that my CLEO and NFA sent me a stamp for my expensive stamp collection for it. Whats really funny about the VECTOR guns is that the model Number of the gun. Is the bill number that was passed banning them.

Just like a compact Glock 9mm model number is Glock 19. The model number of the Vector is HR 488?. I forgot the last number. Tomorrow when I'm going to shoot it I'll get the model number off it and post it. But on my paper work under the section of MODEL it has the bill number. IIRC it was VECTOR's way of giving BATF the FINGER.

Yes,

To answer your question it depends. What type of full auto gun you have. IF you have a register sear then I don't think so. However, if you have a registered receiver gun well then metal workers can perform miracles.

Alot of the MP-5's that people "SAY they have" are really HK-94's converted with something like a Fleming sear and re-stamped MP-5. So in actuality their really not an MP-5. Therefore the thing that is actually considered a machine gun is the little piece of metal called the sear. Sears can wear out and once its done I think your SOL. Last time I checked HK Sears are up to about 12,000 Dollars, the HK 94 if you can even find one are up to 4000 PLUS and then you purchase something like the trigger pack, and then you have somebody do the conversation, all in all an HK-94 that smells and runs like an MP-5 is in the upwards of 17,000 to $20,000.

My UZI is a registered receiver therefore the receiver is the machine gun and not the little sear. I'm pretty sure I can burn out sears, etc..... However, if my receiver some how gets damaged, well let me say this if that happens my next thread under the OFF TOPIC section will be "I need to find a REALLY GOOD WELDER" PLEASE HELP!!!!ASAP

I think there is also something called a Registered Bolt gun. I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Thanis, I seriously have a question for you, and I don't want this to turn into the "cough cough" other thread that was locked. But why are you so interested in full auto stuff?...
    Maybe a little interest, but the cost is really prohibitive. But mostly, just want to learn. Could join another forum, but I don't own the firearm, so would be a bit of an outsider, lookie-lou. So honestly, just trying to increase the knowledge base.

It does sound like the legal stuff has a lot of hoops, and creates a lot of risk (if parts break) for those who have the conversion type of firearms. Have to hand it to you die-hard hobbyists concerning these weapons. Takes a serious financial commitment.

I had though there was a way to legaly purchase a FA or BF firearm, but it took a lot of paperwork. Has anyone ever hear of an exception being made (allowing ownership) of higher ranking retired military?

Thanks to everyone for the the info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links