More on the Closing of the Reynolds Game Farm

This is a discussion on More on the Closing of the Reynolds Game Farm within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Please Stand-Up and Voice Your Opposition to the Closing! As we have reported, Governor David Paterson (D) and New York State Department of Environmental Conservation ...

Thread: More on the Closing of the Reynolds Game Farm

Please Stand-Up and Voice Your Opposition to the Closing!

As we have reported, Governor David Paterson (D) and New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Chairman Pete Grannis bamboozle sportsmen and taxpayers: Claiming across-the-board spending cuts, the DEC has decided to shutdown the Reynolds Game Farm, a last-of-its-kind preserve in New York where pheasants have been bred and released for hunting since 1927.

Governor Paterson took the dishonesty up a notch yesterday when his office put out a press release claiming to have done something heroic, as the remaining pheasants from the shuttered preserve were donated to feed the poor. The fact is, most hunters do so to feed themselves or they donate the birds to ongoing programs, like "Hunters for the Hungry." Stealing from the poor to feed the poor. Should we call him Governor Robin Hood? We think not.

It has a price tag of $750,000-per-year and is entirely funded by Pittman-Robertson monies (millions of dollars in excise taxes collected on all firearm and ammunition purchases), not money from the General Fund.

Hunters will continue to pay the excise taxes when they purchase firearms and/or ammunition, but unless they are willing to fund a private preserve, hunters will now be unable to hunt close to home.

What a slap in the face!

As if thatís not enough, Governor Paterson has ordered the facility to be shut down by the end of the year, even though the money to operate the facility was already budgeted for 2009. While we understand many programs are being cut in this difficult economy, this program should not be one of them.

Not only will this closure sharply affect pheasant hunting in New York by driving pheasant hunters to other states in order to participate in this popular, time-honored type of bird hunting, it raises serious questions about where the Pittman-Robertson monies are being spent.

Please contact Governor Paterson at (518) 474-8390 and DEC Chairman Grannis at (518) 402-8540 and respectfully ask them what they plan to do with the money, if not spend it on operating this farm.

LINK

I'm not familiar with this situation...for us folks here in the South, is there a hidden agenda on the Gov's plate?
    Anti gun/hunting? (With the NRA's involvement...I am assuming something along this line?)
    Land deal for highway?
    If there truly is no budget savings, what is his goal?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

So where is all that money paid by sportsman going now, and how soon will the developers have access to the lands?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I know I'm taking an unpopular stance here but I have never been in favor of "canned" hunts. Whether it be releasing pen raised game birds, importing big game animals with a guide pointing at the animal you're to shoot, or releasing a caged animal for a hunt I believe it is wrong. I don't call this hunting.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    ďAmerica will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.Ē Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Why should tax money be paying for a nice place to hunt? If people want this let them do it privately.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    I know I'm taking an unpopular stance here but I have never been in favor of "canned" hunts. Whether it be releasing pen raised game birds, importing big game animals with a guide pointing at the animal you're to shoot, or releasing a caged animal for a hunt I believe it is wrong. I don't call this hunting.
    I agree that it's not "real Hunting", but it has it's place, becuase not everyone has equal access to private ground and good places to hunt. If people don't have a place to go, hunting will become a thing of the past and gun ownership may soon follow and those lovely bird dogs that have been bred for hundreds of years to hunt will be stick chasing tennis balls around, like most labs and golden retrievers are doing now.

I hunt birds in large part becuase I love the dog work. I'd rather hunt wild birds, but will shoot pen-raised birds when I can't find wild birds or to extend the season. My dogs have never noticed the difference between wild birds or pen raised. I have seen bad years, sometimes a few in a row, where there were so few wild birds that shooting them would have been a tragedy. The choice is either pen raised birds, or feed a kennel full of dogs and pay vet bills all year for nothing. When it comes to that, I'll take the pen raised birds over sitting on the couch anyday. The dogs like hunting them both equally, and the pen raised birds are usually better to eat.

Also, shooting pen raised birds relieves a lot of pressure from the wild populations, which aids in conservation. Where pen raised birds are released and escape they provide an easy winter food source for predators, which also relieves pressure on wild bird populations and other prey animals. We must remember that in nature, nothing goes to waste. Everything gets eaten by something.

To me there is one big difference between "canned hunting" and grocery stores. In canned hunting there is some chance that the animals will get away, those grocery store birds don't get the chance to escape.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrreynolds View Post
    It has a price tag of $750,000-per-year and is entirely funded by Pittman-Robertson monies (millions of dollars in excise taxes collected on all firearm and ammunition purchases), not money from the General Fund.
    Just another example of a special interest group wanting their hands on tax money.

But this one's different. It's our group.

Aren't funds from the Pittman-Robertson Act taxes that are placed only on sporting goods? By law they can only be used for supporting hunting and fishing? I believe this was the way it was set up.
    Its a true users fee type tax.

This is something the anti's have been trying for years to shut down.
    If they can stop this they can kill the argument that sportsmen support wildlife.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Aren't funds from the Pittman-Robertson Act taxes that are placed only on sporting goods? By law they can only be used for supporting hunting and fishing? I believe this was the way it was set up.
    Its a true users fee type tax.
    A user's fee would be to make people buy a specific license to hunt at this place. From what you are saying it sounds like the purpose of the tax is simply to make guns more expensive to discourage ownership. I'm sure in NY there are plenty of people like me who own guns but have never hunted.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    The tax isn't going away... what does the state plan on spending that $750k/year on? Anti-gun propaganda?

Pittman-Robertson funds are paid for by an excise tax on shooting, hunting and fishing supplies and the funds must be used to fund those activites and nothing else.

It pays for Hunter's-Ed, public shooting ranges and lots of other good stuff.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Sponsored Links