Brady Campaign Sues To Overturn Park Rule

This is a discussion on Brady Campaign Sues To Overturn Park Rule within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, we knew this was coming. All they need is one liberal Federal judge to issue a TRO. Group sues to halt new gun rule ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brady Campaign Sues To Overturn Park Rule

1943 - 2009

Brady Campaign Sues To Overturn Park Rule

Well, we knew this was coming. All they need is one liberal Federal judge to issue a TRO.

Group sues to halt new gun rule in parks
    By MICHAEL JAMISON of the Missoulian

KALISPELL - A new and controversial rule allowing loaded guns in national parks has come under increasing fire, with critics filing suit on Tuesday to stop the measure.

Currently, guns are allowed in parks only if unloaded and properly stowed. In early December, however, the U.S. Department of the Interior announced it would allow loaded, concealed weapons in parks, so long as the carrier was permitted to do so in that state.

The change was to take effect Jan. 9, 2009, but on Tuesday the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence sued Interior, saying the measure violates several federal rules.

“It's clear that the Bush administration rushed this through as a last-minute gift to the gun lobby,” said Daniel Vice, senior attorney at the Brady Campaign.

Current park gun rules date back to 1960, and were most recently updated in the early 1980s by the Reagan administration. At that time, Interior conducted an analysis of the rules, concluding that prohibiting loaded weapons was necessary “to ensure public safety and provide maximum protection of natural resources.”

The Reagan analysis determined that excluding loaded guns “will help the National Park Service provide improved visitor safety and resource protection,” and that such rules were a “basic mechanism” for park protection.

Gun rights groups, however, have long chafed under the traditional rules, which they see as an assault on their Second Amendment rights. In 2007, they pushed Congress for action, resulting in a letter from 47 senators - including Montana's delegation - asking Interior to review the old rules.

“The NRA initiated this letter,” the group told its members, “and worked closely with (Idaho) Sen. (Mike) Crapo to gather signatures from his colleagues. ... We have been working on your behalf for nearly five years to facilitate this policy change, and are committed to ensuring that it finally happens this year.”

But in the suit filed Tuesday, Vice wonders what has changed since the environmental assessment conducted in 1983. That analysis found the loaded gun restrictions “necessary,” and no subsequent analysis has been conducted to show that conditions have changed.

In fact, Interior authorized the rule change without conducting any formal environmental analysis - a central complaint in the Brady Campaign suit.

The complaint alleges Interior violated the establishing acts of both the National Park Service and the National Wildlife Refuge system, by authorizing a rule change that is inconsistent with the purposes of parks and refuges. It also charges Interior erred in not conducting an environmental analysis, which plaintiffs say was required by federal law.

The rule change, plaintiffs said, came “in response to considerable political pressure and in the absence of any substantive findings whatsoever that the (existing) regulations are no longer necessary.”

The fact that no formal analysis was conducted points to a “haste to finalize these regulations in the waning days of President George W. Bush's administration,” the suit contends.

In addition, the suit claims the new gun rule will diminish visitor enjoyment of parks, and points to school excursions to the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia and the Capitol Mall in Washington, D.C., that have been canceled or curtailed in the wake of the rule change.

Tina Kreisher, spokeswoman at Interior, declined to address the lawsuit's particulars, saying “we cannot comment on pending litigation.”

Gary Marbut of the Montana Shooting Sports Association said his group would be keeping an eye on the court battle, adding that “I think the change made by the Department of Interior is a very good fit for Montana. We certainly oppose what the gun-control crowd is trying to accomplish.”

Marbut said he'll write to the state Attorney General's Office, asking it to intervene in the suit to protect Montana gun owners' interests.

Andrew Arulanandam, at NRA, said he had not yet reviewed the specifics of the complaint, but stressed that “we believe that the actions by the Department of Interior are sound, and we believe that we will prevail, or should I say, the Department of Interior will prevail.”

Proponents of the change have argued loaded guns should be allowed in parks in order that visitors might protect themselves. Critics have said the change is unnecessary, pointing to the relatively low crime rates in national parks.

Opponents also worry loaded guns will result in more violence between visitors, and increased threats to park wildlife and resources.

Among those speaking against the rule change were all living former Park Service directors, an association of retired NPS employees, park ranger groups and park law enforcement groups.

Vice said those critics had not yet signed on to Tuesday's lawsuit, but that many had been discussing litigation of their own to challenge the gun rule change.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    As expected...but the Brady Bunch offered really nothing to support their agrument except some old news which has already been vetted.

Rick

Senior Moderator
    I don't think the BradyBunch will win in the courts.

I do think that the next administration will overturn this ruling.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I don't think the BradyBunch will win in the courts.

The first part maybe not. The second party might be wishful thinking.

The enemy won't quit, all the more reason to stay in the fight and continue to support the cause.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDun View Post
    The first part maybe not. The second party might be wishful thinking.
    I hate to speak for pgrass101, but I'd like to think that nobody on this board would call this:
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101
    wishful thinking. Perhaps you inadvertently inserted a "not" when you read this?

Unfortunately, I think pgrass is right. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all it would take is an EO, since Interior is an Executive Branch function, no?
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Senior Moderator
    That's right the BO administration can just rescind this order or issue a new one to replace it.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    I really don't hate many people, but The Brady Bunch are an exception.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

That's right the BO administration can just rescind this order or issue a new one to replace it.
    If that were true it wouldn't make sense for the Brady Bunch to sue would it.

Could it be that there is some merit to their case, and such changes are not to be made purely by directive? Is there supposed to be a determination process as they allege?
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Moderator
    ThisNation.com--What is an Executive Order?

Good website explaining E.O.'s

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    If that were true it wouldn't make sense for the Brady Bunch to sue would it.
    Very good point. It would not make sense. My understanding is that if the new provision becomes effective, the Obama administration would have to start a whole new rulemaking proposal to reverse it. Would take a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Could it be that there is some merit to their case... ?
    No. The Brady Campaign has a weak case. It's taking a flyer. It will lose.

ThisNation.com--What is an Executive Order?

Good website explaining E.O.'s
    I'm not saying I'm right, but I didn't find anything on your website that showed me I was wrong.

National Park Service is under the Department of the Interior, which is part of the Executive Branch. The President is the head of the Executive Branch. What am I missing?
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

So if loaded guns in national parks can cause an environmental problem why does it not cause the same problem elsewhere in our society. What environmental problem are they talking about. Florida was supposed to become the wild wild west when our gun laws changed but so far it has not. These idiots know that law breakers will break the law regardless so I don't get their argument.
    NRA Member

In early December, however, the U.S. Department of the Interior announced it would allow loaded, concealed weapons in parks, so long as the carrier was permitted to do so in that state.
    In addition, the suit claims the new gun rule will diminish visitor enjoyment of parks, and points to school excursions to the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia and the Capitol Mall in Washington, D.C., that have been canceled or curtailed in the wake of the rule change.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but since there's no concealed carry allowed in DC, the rule change makes *no difference* there. Which means that the trip changes had nothing to do with the rule change. Which makes me wonder whether the Philly trip changes are just the same.

Which reinforces my belief that the Brady Bunch is a deceptive, dishonest, and generally all around distasteful group.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    I'm not saying I'm right, but I didn't find anything on your website that showed me I was wrong.

National Park Service is under the Department of the Interior, which is part of the Executive Branch. The President is the head of the Executive Branch. What am I missing?
    You are right I just posted so everyone can see that the can be overturned by congress or a new excutive order. Both of which may take a long time. This is why the bradyBunch is sueing

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links