Congress' plan would let AG 'ban guns at will'

This is a discussion on Congress' plan would let AG 'ban guns at will' within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Congress' plan would let AG 'ban guns at will' Posted: January 06, 2009 10:05 pm Eastern By Bob Unruh A perfect storm is developing for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Congress' plan would let AG 'ban guns at will'

Posted: January 06, 2009
    10:05 pm Eastern

By Bob Unruh

A perfect storm is developing for Second Amendment opponents that could allow President-elect Barack Obama's choice for attorney general Eric Holder to "ban guns at will" despite the 2008 affirmation from the U.S. Supreme Court that U.S. citizens have a right to bear arms.

The situation was described with alarm by Alan Korwin, author of Gun Laws of America, in a recent commentary.

He cited Holder's known support for gun bans the former Clinton administration official endorsed the District of Columbia's complete ban on functional guns in residents' homes before it was overturned by the Supreme Court.

And Korwin pointed to overwhelming Democratic majorities in Congress as well as Obama's known support for gun restrictions and his presence in the Oval Office.
    Thirdly, Korwin, one of many Second Amendment advocates raising concerns, cited a proposal already submitted to Congress at a time when its backers could not reasonably expect it to succeed.

The submission is H.R. 1022 by New York Democrat Carolyn McCarthy and 67 co-sponsors. It was introduced in February 2007 and the next month referred to the House Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security, where it has stayed.

But that could change in the 111th Congress, sworn in today. And Korwin said the plan would allow the U.S. Attorney General possibly Holder to add to the list of guns banned to the public any "semiautomatic rifle or shotgun originally designed for military or law enforcement use, or a firearm based on the design of such a firearm, that is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, as determined by the Attorney General."

"Note that Holder wrote a brief in the (District of Columbia) Heller case supporting the position that you have no right to have a working firearm in your own home," Korwin said.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Great.
    Just great.
    Another certified idiot running the place.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I am definitely not thrilled about Eric Holder.

We need to keep close attention to what goes on in our Capital, as well as our individual state's.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    "that is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes"

I use my AR-15 for coyote hunting and target shooting. They are used all the time in 3 gun competitions, service rifle competitions, etc. Seems like a good sporting rifle to me.

"as determined by the Attorney General."

Screw facts, let's go off of someone's opinion?
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

VIP Member
    Carolyn McCarthy is really a one issue critter. Her husband was murdered by a lunatic and she has been on an anti-g rip ever since. From her limited viewpoint, guns were the culprit, and she is incapable of comprehending that the murder was accomplished by a human--an insane human.

I've no idea where her 67 co-sponsors are from, but I'll guess they are from NY, NJ, and a few other places which are out of step with the rest of the country on this issue.

Her proposals will go nowhere.

BAC
    HR1022 is dead. It was dead when it first came out, and now that the new congress is in it's officially not a problem anymore.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    HR1022 is dead. It was dead when it first came out, and now that the new congress is in it's officially not a problem anymore.

-B
    I hope you are correct. However, the article said:

The submission is H.R. 1022 by New York Democrat Carolyn McCarthy and 67 co-sponsors. It was introduced in February 2007 and the next month referred to the House Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security, where it has stayed.

But that could change in the 111th Congress, sworn in today. And Korwin said the plan would allow the U.S. Attorney General possibly Holder to add to the list of guns banned to the public any "semiautomatic rifle or shotgun originally designed for military or law enforcement use, or a firearm based on the design of such a firearm, that is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, as determined by the Attorney General."
    Will the new Congress try to resurrect HR 1022?

Sounds like it to me.

VIP Member
    She is like a broken record. She'll just keep going over the same tune without moving forward.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Patti View Post
    Will the new Congress try to resurrect HR 1022?

Sounds like it to me.
    It can't. When a new Congress comes in, they have to re-introduce any bill that died in committee (where HR1022 and nearly all other legislation introduced died), which means a new resolution number and another highly-probably death-by-committee.

-B

Holder has some other cow-pies on his face too - specifically as a proponent of the "Thompson Memo", the use of which resulted in the government's cases against numerous white collar criminals to be flushed away in court.

It can't. When a new Congress comes in, they have to re-introduce any bill that died in committee (where HR1022 and nearly all other legislation introduced died), which means a new resolution number and another highly-probably death-by-committee.

-B
    Don't worry McCarthy from NY will introduce it again.
    Last edited by HotGuns; January 9th, 2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: language workaround
    One more step and it's on!

BAC
    And again. And again. Until either she dies or leaves office. HR1022 was already superseded by a newer version, which was word for word identical to the '94 law (they figured 1022 was too tough, so they toned it back a few notches to what passed last time) and it died to. I expect the same this go around too. The climate is not right for a serious push to pass this and the folks in Congress know it. They might, might, have the numbers on their side (which I doubt, since many in Congress now are more supportive of firearms ownership than were in '94), but the overall national climate is not welcome to such legislative attempts. Political suicide.

-B

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I agree with BAC. I'm in the belief that they need to earn a lot more political capital before taking on a hot button issue like this.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

And again. And again. Until either she dies or leaves office. HR1022 was already superseded by a newer version, which was word for word identical to the '94 law (they figured 1022 was too tough, so they toned it back a few notches to what passed last time) and it died to. I expect the same this go around too. The climate is not right for a serious push to pass this and the folks in Congress know it. They might, might, have the numbers on their side (which I doubt, since many in Congress now are more supportive of firearms ownership than were in '94), but the overall national climate is not welcome to such legislative attempts. Political suicide.

-B
    But the local level Gov't like Mayors, AG's etc. are pushing for local gun control at unprecedented rates. This is where the snowball starts.
    One more step and it's on!

BAC
    Gun control at the state and local level is also failing at unprecedented rates, with only a couple states proven exceptions to the rule. If you measured gun control laws in a graph, you'd notice pretty plainly that since (roughly) the early 90s, the only real jump has been one federal-level law ('94 crime law) and a few states mimicking it. That's it. Consider concealed carry laws, castle doctrines, justifiable self-defense itself has been rewritten often in different states in recent years. You can squeeze the trigger all day, but if all you're hearing is click, I'd say something isn't working in your favor.

This is a valuable lesson, though, in why it's so important to stay on top of local legislation and make sure local politicians know they'll still be held accountable for poor choices they make.

-B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links