Gun control bill filed in house - 01/06/09

This is a discussion on Gun control bill filed in house - 01/06/09 within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wrote all my congress critters this morining. Hopefully the bill is dead before it even gets to a vote....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gun control bill filed in house - 01/06/09

I wrote all my congress critters this morining. Hopefully the bill is dead before it even gets to a vote.
    Obama used "hope" and "change" to win the presidency.... Benjamin Franklin wrote in Poor Richard's Almanac, "He that lives upon Hope will die fasting." On change, John Adams wrote, "A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."

2. Remove Ads

FOID expiration

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Every 5 years...
    The new ones expire after 10 yrs.

First ltr back from Senator

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Using the email account from a hunting and fishing magazine I work for, I contacted both State of Florida Senators. Ones Republican the other Democrat, but in the past they have both responded that they are pro 2 A.

Iíll update you when I get a response this time.
    First ltr back from one of Florida's Senators

Dear Mr. TNS:

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun violence. I appreciate hearing from you and would like to respond to your concerns.

Gun violence is an unfortunate criminal activity that continues to exist in our society. It is important that we remain vigilant in our coordinated efforts with federal, state, and local officials to curb the incidences of these crimes in our communities. I recognize that America, however, is deeply divided over how to best accomplish this goal.

When our Founding Fathers drafted the Constitution, they included the Second Amendment to guarantee law-abiding citizens the right to keep and bear arms. This freedom is a fundamental part of our American identity.

There are a number of procedures and regulations in place to restrict those who would potentially abuse this right from purchasing or owning a gun. However, because criminals obtain guns outside of these procedures and regulations, placing further restrictions on law-abiding gun owners is unlikely to be effective. Please rest assured I will work with my Senate colleagues to provide law enforcement officials with the tools they need to prevent these tragic acts of violence and to ensure that effective punishments are in place to deter future criminals.

As the Senate considers gun rights issues in the 110th Congress, please know I will keep your thoughtful comments in mind. Again, thank you for sharing your views with me.
    Sincerely,

Mel Martinez
    United States Senator

I too have contacted the Senators of Florida asking for support. Since I live in Virginia, not sure I will get a resonse though.

Called both of my Senators and the Congressman from my district. Didn't get to talk to them, but left messages and was assured that they would be passed on.

I dont pretend to understand the ins and outs of American firearms laws but I see alot of people bleeting how they oppose this bill and very few posts about what exactly is wrong with it.

If the FBI stats are true adn that 80-90% of firearms used in crime were purchased by someone legal and supplied to someone who intends to commit a crime then having a history \ registry of ownership is actually a good thing.

We have a similar system here in New Zealand

1) You get your licence (rifle $100 for 10 years or Pistol $200 for 10 years)
    2) All firearms purchased are recorded with your licence number and s# of weapon
    3) After that your only obligation is to advise of change of ownership or change of address

The only wildcard is when your guns are stolen, and you would have to question why someone had their pistols stolen 2, 3 or 4 times every year.

These rules are in place and they do stem the flow of weapons to criminals without encroaching on our rights. I can have pretty much any handgun I want within a week, any rifle or shotgun today, upto 12 of each.

I can go hunting, shooting at the range, what rights are being encroached ?

As for the safety aspect imagine what driving on your roads would be like if the 2A said anyone can drive a car without sitting a safety test, sure its your right to drive, but you have to be safe in doing so (hence a car licence) which last time I checked has been a right of passage for many a young american driver.

Rights to self defence you say, I can sort of see where youre coming from, just because someone cant pass a safety test doesnt mean they shouldnt be allowed to own a firearm for self defence

In the same token safety is such a simple thing do you really want people with no clue using and operating firearms in your community ?

Mabey when the fathers of the nation came up with 2A it was OK, but times change and as society becomes more modern and complex, perhaps its time to relook at some of the basic rules.

Provided they

a) not confiscate your guns or limit the amount you can own
    b) make the licence procedure cheap and easy (but safe)
    c) allow for CCW endorsement on licence

Whats the problem ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing

Quote Originally Posted by heylin View Post
    As for the safety aspect imagine what driving on your roads would be like if the 2A said anyone can drive a car without sitting a safety test, sure its your right to drive, but you have to be safe in doing so (hence a car licence) which last time I checked has been a right of passage for many a young american driver.
    By the same token, some of those people who did pass the test have no business driving. The test only shows some degree of test taking ability or competence, but it does not guarantee that the car will be operated safely. Can you say DUI?

By the same token, some of those people who did pass the test have no business driving. The test only shows some degree of test taking ability or competence, but it does not guarantee that the car will be operated safely. Can you say DUI?
    True, cars might not have been the best example, also driving a car is a bit more complex than basic firearm safety.

7 rules compared to like 100 when driving a car.

Could also apply to firearms though, someone might pass the test but still be useless at safety when they get their gun home. So perhaps a safety test is OTT.

Than again if someone proves to be negligent they can have their guns and licence taken away (thats what happens here).

Distinguished Member
    I dont pretend to understand the ins and outs of American firearms laws but I see alot of people bleeting how they oppose this bill and very few posts about what exactly is wrong with it.

If the FBI stats are true adn that 80-90% of firearms used in crime were purchased by someone legal and supplied to someone who intends to commit a crime then having a history \ registry of ownership is actually a good thing.

We have a similar system here in New Zealand

1) You get your licence (rifle $100 for 10 years or Pistol $200 for 10 years)
    2) All firearms purchased are recorded with your licence number and s# of weapon
    3) After that your only obligation is to advise of change of ownership or change of address

The only wildcard is when your guns are stolen, and you would have to question why someone had their pistols stolen 2, 3 or 4 times every year.

These rules are in place and they do stem the flow of weapons to criminals without encroaching on our rights. I can have pretty much any handgun I want within a week, any rifle or shotgun today, upto 12 of each.

I can go hunting, shooting at the range, what rights are being encroached ?

Rights to self defence you say, I can sort of see where youre coming from, just because someone cant pass a safety test doesnt mean they shouldnt be allowed to own a firearm for self defence

In the same token safety is such a simple thing do you really want people with no clue using and operating firearms in your community ?

Mabey when the fathers of the nation came up with 2A it was OK, but times change and as society becomes more modern and complex, perhaps its time to relook at some of the basic rules.

Provided they

a) not confiscate your guns or limit the amount you can own
    b) make the licence procedure cheap and easy (but safe)
    c) allow for CCW endorsement on licence

Whats the problem ?
    Seems pretty easy for you, a New Zealander, to give up my Constitutional Right, it seems.

The problem is I don't live under your nanny state system, and don't want it here.

And it is just that simple.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Seems pretty easy for you, a New Zealander, to give up my Constitutional Right, it seems.

The problem is I don't live under your nanny state system, and don't want it here.

And it is just that simple.
    I agree we do live in a nanny state, and could point out alot of legislation that doesnt make sense in NZ.

But I dont see how this bill makes the US a nanny state all of a sudden.

It still lets you own and use firearms, you can still conceal carry. HOW does it force you to "give up your Constitutional Right" ??????

Im not asking people to give up their rights, im just looking for point of view other than "Its my Constitutional Right".

you know some facts or logic behind it.

Because bill of rights

We are not NZ but America. This is NOT the UN government. The USA has a Constitution written by the Founders and includes the 2nd Amendment. The NZ citizens do not have the same rights as written in thier constitution!!
    Last edited by tabsr; January 27th, 2009 at 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

Not to mention that nearly every other country that has enacted gun registration laws have led to confiscation (see UK, Canada and Australia).

While NZ may not be there yet, I wouldn't bet against it happening.

We are not NZ. The USA has a Constitiution and 2nd Amendment. The NZ does not have the same rights in thier law!!
    Jesus.... where in my comments did I say US was NZ, or I was asking people to give up their 2A rights.

I was just saying we have a similar system in place here as the bill being suggested.

Has anyone got any constructive pros \ cons of such a bill other than "its breaching my 2A rights"

Sure the safety test might be, but what about the rest of it "licences, tracking of weapons etc". It doesnt stop you from owning them, nor hinder you getting them, therefore in my interpretation of the 2A its not encroaching on your rights to bear arms.

Not to mention that nearly every other country that has enacted gun registration laws have led to confiscation (see UK, Canada and Australia).

While NZ may not be there yet, I wouldn't bet against it happening.
    Confiscation = breach of 2A rights therefore it would never happen or be allowed. If your government really wanted your guns they could breach the 2A rights now and just send national gaurd, police or troops round house by house and take them.

Sure our government may decide to take away our arms one day. 2A or not if they want them bad enough they will get them.

Alot of people forget that 2A is just some words written on paper, your government on the other hand is a living breathing entity with control of the largest military \ police force in the world.

If they want your guns they will get them, mabey with a fight, but they will get them or kill you in the process.

Confiscation = breach of 2A rights therefore it would never happen or be allowed. If your government really wanted your guns they could breach the 2A rights now and just send national gaurd, police or troops round house by house and take them.

Sure our government may decide to take away our arms one day. 2A or not if they want them bad enough they will get them.

Alot of people forget that 2A is just some words written on paper, your government on the other hand is a living breathing entity with control of the largest military \ police force in the world.

If they want your guns they will get them, mabey with a fight, but they will get them or kill you in the process.
    Do you know how this country was started? Do you know what the last straw was???

Read about it.

If you don't know history you're bound to repeat it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links