Gun control bill filed in house - 01/06/09 - Page 4

Gun control bill filed in house - 01/06/09

This is a discussion on Gun control bill filed in house - 01/06/09 within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; link me to some good wiki articles. Im keen to know....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    link me to some good wiki articles. Im keen to know.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing

Quote Originally Posted by heylin View Post
    If the FBI stats are true adn that 80-90% of firearms used in crime were purchased by someone legal and supplied to someone who intends to commit a crime then having a history \ registry of ownership is actually a good thing.
    Whats the problem ?
    So the problem is the stats are not reliable. Everyone on both sides have been manipulating the facts so bad that who knows what the truth is or what the stats really say.

According to an article in the Richmond Times Dispatch -
    "... According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics report, “Firearm Use by Offenders,” only about 1 percent of guns used in crimes come from gun shows. In fact, most crime guns — 57 percent — come from just 1 percent of licensed dealers. Federal and state law-enforcement agencies should come down on those renegade dealers like a ton of bricks.

Another study, by the FBI concerning attacks on law-enforcement officials, found that 97 percent of the offenders had procured their weapons through illegal means."

So if the latter stat is correct, building and funding an infrastructure to register guns would not stop 97% of the attacks on law enforcement. And a simplier solution might be to identify and stop the 1% of the licensed dealers that supply 57% of the illegal guns.

And I always question the real motive. Drunk driving has some research and stats that are pretty well accepted yet I don't see half as much effort on laws or law enforcement trying to stem that problem that clearly has affected more lives than gun violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that very few people are even caring about what's going on now?
    ... which is why garbage like this could slip through unnoticed, so very easily.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by heylin View Post
    Confiscation = breach of 2A rights therefore it would never happen or be allowed. If your government really wanted your guns they could breach the 2A rights now and just send national gaurd, police or troops round house by house and take them.
    It would sure make their job of confiscation easier if they had every firearm registered. Keep in mind that the intent of these laws is to discourage people from owning firearms. The purpose of the 2nd amendment is to restrain the government through ensuring an armed populace. Any law that discourages firearm ownership is an infringement on our right as citizens to be free from a tyrannical government.

It would sure make their job of confiscation easier if they had every firearm registered. Keep in mind that the intent of these laws is to discourage people from owning firearms. The purpose of the 2nd amendment is to restrain the government through ensuring an armed populace. Any law that discourages firearm ownership is an infringement on our right as citizens to be free from a tyrannical government.
    Now that you put it that way it makes sense. Although many people are happy to jump through hoops (like me) some people just want the background check and to be able to purchase a gun ASAP.

If the government can convelute the process enough then people might be discouraged and then its a 2A breach.

Interesting to know the real stats as well. Perhaps the stiffer regulations need to be put on the dealers.

Mabey microdotting firearms at the factory and then recording which dealer purchased the firearm. If being sold to criminals then once those guns are used and recovered then FBI could build up a picture on which dealer has a disproportionate amount of marks against their name.

This is already done by way of serial number. When I had a FFL, the government contacted me a few times about where such and such weapon went. I had to keep exact records of each transaction in a bound book so that I could identify the buyer.

By the by, if I had to pay 200 for every firearm I owned, I would be bankrupt!

By the by, if I had to pay 200 for every firearm I owned, I would be bankrupt!
    no no you got me wrong.

$200 for pistol licence (renewable every 10 years)

no costs here in NZ to purchase, the police and dealer handle all the paperwork free of charge + paperwork is only for Pistol purchases, rifles and shotguns you just show your licence to the store owner and take your gun straight home with you.

Always got me thinking that one

High powered .308 Rifle with scope, suppressor, bi pod. Show your licence no questions asked.

.22 Target pistol = paperwork and hoops to jump through (even though you have had multiple checks and hoops to get your pistol licence).

I know with pistols its all about concealability but the fact anyone here whos paid $100 done a safety test within 4 weeks can go buy a sniper rifle is scary.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links