A letter I am posting on all "Pro gun law" and "Pro ban" blogs and websites. (Merged)

A letter I am posting on all "Pro gun law" and "Pro ban" blogs and websites. (Merged)

This is a discussion on A letter I am posting on all "Pro gun law" and "Pro ban" blogs and websites. (Merged) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am a 28 year old man who is neither pro gun, nor pro gun control. I consider myself to be a pretty level headed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A letter I am posting on all "Pro gun law" and "Pro ban" blogs and websites. (Merged)

I am a 28 year old man who is neither pro gun, nor pro gun control. I consider myself to be a pretty level headed and peaceful kind of person who votes and makes decisions using a basic common sense, right or wrong approach. I live in Washington State, I have a family, a wife and a daughter. We own a mobile repair business going to many private and many backwoods and secluded places on a daily basis with our business. Area's notoriously known for meth cook labs and users, many times miles away from any authorities or help. I am a concealed handgun permit holder and carry a loaded .45 auto pistol every day. I talk to my daughter and wife about the safety of guns and gun handling. It is important to become educated and to teach our youth about gun safety and the importance of our second amendment rights. Unlike the very few ignorant gun owners out there who have kids and don't lock up or store their guns out of reach and leave their weapons in plain site for the kids to get a hold of and accidentally shoot themselves or a friend. Becoming a statistic and only giving the Pro Banners ammunition against our rights. Like most responsible adults I keep my weapons locked in bolted down key pad safes for my child's safety, theft prevention and for my easy quick access incase I ever need to protect myself in my own home. With all of the negatives we hear in the media and in our daily lives, and the politics surrounding guns, know one seems to stop and put themselves in the situations or really think about how they really feel regarding how this subject really affects them. People shoot guns, guns don't shoot people. There has to be a person behind the trigger. When we hear of gun violence in America, people forget that criminals who get their guns "illegally" and commit crimes with those guns are just that, "Criminals". Somehow part of the general public and gun ban supporters view these crimes with guns as a gun issue or that guns are bad and a dangerous threat to their safety. When in reality its the criminal doing the crime, not the gun. Its the criminals who these pro ban supporters should fear. And its our right to protect ourselves and our lives from these criminals. I carry a handgun not to commit crimes or to scare anyone or to feel tough or reckless, but to protect my life and my family from ruthless, random criminal behavior. If I ever become a target, then I will be prepared to defend my life and not
    become a statistic and victim of crime. Its my life or theirs, and I choose mine and my family's. You have to understand that if you support votes and gun laws to take away gun rights of the American people, you will be doing just that, taking away access to a means of legal personal protection. If you implement gun laws and gun bans, the only group or demographic that will be affected is every day law abiding citizens of this country that believes in the second amendment and our "right" to bear arms and protect ourselves from heartless criminals that feed off of us, trustworthy, hard working, and honest society of Americans. Proposed gun laws and future feared bans or attempts to take away our rights will "never" affect criminals like burglars, car jackers, armed robberies, or murderers. These laws and bans will only affect law abiding citizens and once or if these laws are ever passed or implemented, all of those criminals will have free reign to do as they please because they will know that our
    rights have been heavily restricted or worse, taken away. They will no longer fear breaking in to our homes, pillaging thru our property and murdering our helpless "gun free" families. It only takes common sense to realize how fast the crime rate will skyrocket when law abiding citizens can no longer legally protect themselves and their precious families. For the very few non existent criminals that try to buy guns at legit gun shops, the five day waiting period and background check works great, kudos to the Brady bill But as for the rest of the 99.9% of convicted criminals out there among us who know better and get there guns through black markets, these laws and bans don't do squat against these unregistered, untraceable offenders. These laws and feared bans only affect "our" safety. After reading this, think about the affects of saying you hate guns and how you support gun laws and bans. Think of how peaceful this world "won't" be when criminals have no fear of committing crimes against you and your families. I urge all "pro gun law" and "pro gun ban" citizens to really read and take this post to your heart. Talk to your friends and families about
    this and really think about what your supporting and how these so called public protection, peace and love inspired laws may affect you and yours someday.

sss
    This is a pretty decent letter, but what are you hoping to accomplish by posting this? I'm pretty sure that "anti" forums and their visitors are set in their ways, and that most forums probably aren't interested in hearing perspectives from the opposing side.

Quote Originally Posted by sss View Post
    This is a pretty decent letter, but what are you hoping to accomplish by posting this? I'm pretty sure that "anti" forums and their visitors are set in their ways, and that most forums probably aren't interested in hearing perspectives from the opposing side.
    Not sure what to expect from posting this. I'm sure many people have posted similar posts, I guess I'm hoping to open some pro ban minds or hopefully some intelligent debates.

May encourage debate, but I can bet the other side may not be as decent and level headed as you appear.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I would highly recommend some paragraph structure before posting this. While what you wrote was literate, without a lot of spelling and grammatical errors, it is very difficult to read as formatted.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

I am interested to know what kind of responses you get after posting. Please keep us updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleygirl View Post
    I am interested to know what kind of responses you get after posting. Please keep us updated.
    I agree; Please keep us posted regarding your responses.

I work part-time for two hunting and fishing magazines, and they tell me that most people will not read more than 500 words in a column unless they are VERY interested in it.

As an editor I’ll tell you that your letter/column, has some excellent ideas, and all you need to do is work on the readability issue, and shorten it to no more than 500 words.

Again, please keep us updated with your responses’.

Thanks

Personally, I would remove the term "Pro Banners" and replace it with "those who favor additional bans on weapons" or something similar. OMO.

Brian

Ron
    Letters, such as this, are likely to more effective if published in local newspapers under "letters to the editor," and if sent to every person in Congress.

People who fequent anti-gun and gun control sites and blogs are more likely to be ideologically committed to their position, and usually not interested in listening to or reading arguments that contradict their position.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    I would highly recommend some paragraph structure before posting this. While what you wrote was literate, without a lot of spelling and grammatical errors, it is very difficult to read as formatted.
    I know, I am the king of run on sentances and sloppy grammar. I will definantly make it more readable. Thanks for pointing that out.

VIP Member
    and carry a loaded .45 auto pistol every day
    You might also want to change that to read semi auto pistol. We here understand the difference but the anti's probably won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Benthic View Post
    Personally, I would remove the term "Pro Banners" and replace it with "those who favor additional bans on weapons" or something similar. OMO.

Brian
    Thanks for the tip, I will change it.

I have decided to wait to post this letter until you guys are done replying. I want to properly represent our rights and this forum, and I really appreciate all of your suggestions and ideas. So please pick it apart, if you have any re-wordings or phrases that you think should be added or taken away, please feel free to comment. I will take the comments and re-edit the letter to make it a smoother and a more finished cut. I will also let you all know when and where I start posting the letter. Thanks again for the ideas and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck2780 View Post
    guns, know one seems to stop
    No one, maybe?

You should dig up some statistics also. They always add credibility to what you are saying.

For instance, there was a study done a couple years ago that said 97% of all gun crimes were done with illegal weapons. So to flip that over, only 3% of gun crimes were done with legally purchased guns, by the legally purchasing individual.

The only people gun laws affect are law abiding citizens. Criminals are not inconvenienced by laws, since by nature criminals break laws. So obviously it means nothing to them to break laws, so they can break laws!

As far as the "more guns is not safer" argument that the antis are always tossing around, the facts are that is simply not bearing out in statistics. There are not more gun deaths in states that allow CCW licenses.

It was just like when people fought the ruling that killed the 55mph law on US highways. People were certain that 65mph was going to lead to an increase in deaths but it did not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links