Defensive Carry banner

A letter I am posting on all "Pro gun law" and "Pro ban" blogs and websites. (Merged)

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  chuck2780 
#1 ·
A letter I am posting on all "Pro gun law" and "Pro ban" blogs and websites. (Merged)

I am a 28 year old man who is neither pro gun, nor pro gun control. I consider myself to be a pretty level headed and peaceful kind of person who votes and makes decisions using a basic common sense, right or wrong approach. I live in Washington State, I have a family, a wife and a daughter. We own a mobile repair business going to many private and many backwoods and secluded places on a daily basis with our business. Area's notoriously known for meth cook labs and users, many times miles away from any authorities or help. I am a concealed handgun permit holder and carry a loaded .45 auto pistol every day. I talk to my daughter and wife about the safety of guns and gun handling. It is important to become educated and to teach our youth about gun safety and the importance of our second amendment rights. Unlike the very few ignorant gun owners out there who have kids and don't lock up or store their guns out of reach and leave their weapons in plain site for the kids to get a hold of and accidentally shoot themselves or a friend. Becoming a statistic and only giving the Pro Banners ammunition against our rights. Like most responsible adults I keep my weapons locked in bolted down key pad safes for my child's safety, theft prevention and for my easy quick access incase I ever need to protect myself in my own home. With all of the negatives we hear in the media and in our daily lives, and the politics surrounding guns, know one seems to stop and put themselves in the situations or really think about how they really feel regarding how this subject really affects them. People shoot guns, guns don't shoot people. There has to be a person behind the trigger. When we hear of gun violence in America, people forget that criminals who get their guns "illegally" and commit crimes with those guns are just that, "Criminals". Somehow part of the general public and gun ban supporters view these crimes with guns as a gun issue or that guns are bad and a dangerous threat to their safety. When in reality its the criminal doing the crime, not the gun. Its the criminals who these pro ban supporters should fear. And its our right to protect ourselves and our lives from these criminals. I carry a handgun not to commit crimes or to scare anyone or to feel tough or reckless, but to protect my life and my family from ruthless, random criminal behavior. If I ever become a target, then I will be prepared to defend my life and not
become a statistic and victim of crime. Its my life or theirs, and I choose mine and my family's. You have to understand that if you support votes and gun laws to take away gun rights of the American people, you will be doing just that, taking away access to a means of legal personal protection. If you implement gun laws and gun bans, the only group or demographic that will be affected is every day law abiding citizens of this country that believes in the second amendment and our "right" to bear arms and protect ourselves from heartless criminals that feed off of us, trustworthy, hard working, and honest society of Americans. Proposed gun laws and future feared bans or attempts to take away our rights will "never" affect criminals like burglars, car jackers, armed robberies, or murderers. These laws and bans will only affect law abiding citizens and once or if these laws are ever passed or implemented, all of those criminals will have free reign to do as they please because they will know that our
rights have been heavily restricted or worse, taken away. They will no longer fear breaking in to our homes, pillaging thru our property and murdering our helpless "gun free" families. It only takes common sense to realize how fast the crime rate will skyrocket when law abiding citizens can no longer legally protect themselves and their precious families. For the very few non existent criminals that try to buy guns at legit gun shops, the five day waiting period and background check works great, kudos to the Brady bill :confused: But as for the rest of the 99.9% of convicted criminals out there among us who know better and get there guns through black markets, these laws and bans don't do squat against these unregistered, untraceable offenders. These laws and feared bans only affect "our" safety. After reading this, think about the affects of saying you hate guns and how you support gun laws and bans. Think of how peaceful this world "won't" be when criminals have no fear of committing crimes against you and your families. I urge all "pro gun law" and "pro gun ban" citizens to really read and take this post to your heart. Talk to your friends and families about
this and really think about what your supporting and how these so called public protection, peace and love inspired laws may affect you and yours someday. :twak:

See less See more
#2 ·
This is a pretty decent letter, but what are you hoping to accomplish by posting this? I'm pretty sure that "anti" forums and their visitors are set in their ways, and that most forums probably aren't interested in hearing perspectives from the opposing side.

#7 ·
I agree; Please keep us posted regarding your responses.

I work part-time for two hunting and fishing magazines, and they tell me that most people will not read more than 500 words in a column unless they are VERY interested in it.

As an editor I’ll tell you that your letter/column, has some excellent ideas, and all you need to do is work on the readability issue, and shorten it to no more than 500 words.

Again, please keep us updated with your responses’.

Thanks

#9 ·
Letters, such as this, are likely to more effective if published in local newspapers under "letters to the editor," and if sent to every person in Congress.

People who fequent anti-gun and gun control sites and blogs are more likely to be ideologically committed to their position, and usually not interested in listening to or reading arguments that contradict their position.

#13 ·
I have decided to wait to post this letter until you guys are done replying. I want to properly represent our rights and this forum, and I really appreciate all of your suggestions and ideas. So please pick it apart, if you have any re-wordings or phrases that you think should be added or taken away, please feel free to comment. I will take the comments and re-edit the letter to make it a smoother and a more finished cut. I will also let you all know when and where I start posting the letter. Thanks again for the ideas and advice.

#15 ·
You should dig up some statistics also. They always add credibility to what you are saying.

For instance, there was a study done a couple years ago that said 97% of all gun crimes were done with illegal weapons. So to flip that over, only 3% of gun crimes were done with legally purchased guns, by the legally purchasing individual.

The only people gun laws affect are law abiding citizens. Criminals are not inconvenienced by laws, since by nature criminals break laws. So obviously it means nothing to them to break laws, so they can break laws!

As far as the "more guns is not safer" argument that the antis are always tossing around, the facts are that is simply not bearing out in statistics. There are not more gun deaths in states that allow CCW licenses.

It was just like when people fought the ruling that killed the 55mph law on US highways. People were certain that 65mph was going to lead to an increase in deaths but it did not.

#17 ·
Another thing, just my opinion - while I can "hear" your passion (and you most definately are) it almost comes across slightly angry. Most certainly, if you want any possible sympathy from the anti's you need to remove the anger. Otherwise you might be labled something like a "bitter person clinging to your guns and religion".

#18 ·
A more edited and shortened draft of my original post. Tell me what you think.

I am a 28 year old man who is neither pro gun, nor pro gun control. I consider myself to be a pretty level headed and peaceful person who votes and makes decisions using a basic common sense, right or wrong approach. I live in Washington State with my wife and daughter. We own a mobile repair business going to many private, backwoods and secluded places on a daily basis as well as many urban and downtown locations. We travel to many area's known for meth labs and meth users. Many times we are miles away from any authorities or help. I am a concealed handgun permit holder and carry a loaded .45 caliber pistol every day for personal protection. I talk to my daughter and wife about the safety of guns, gun handling and the importance of concealed carrying. Citizens need to become educated, teaching themselves and our youth about gun safety and our second amendment rights.

Like most responsible adults, I keep my weapons locked inside bolted down key pad safes for my child's safety, theft prevention and for quick access in case I ever need to protect myself in my home from a violent criminal. With all of the negative stigma and fear surrounding guns in the media, politics, and in our daily lives, no one seems to stop and think of the big picture. People shoot guns, guns don't shoot people. There has to be a person behind the trigger. When we hear of gun violence in America, people seem to forget that criminals commit these crimes of violence. Somehow part of the general public and gun ban supporters view these crimes with guns as a “gun issue” or that guns are bad or a dangerous threat to their safety. When in reality its the criminal doing the crime, and breaking the law, not the gun.

I carry a handgun not to commit crimes or to feel tough or reckless, but to protect my life and my family from ruthless, cold blooded criminal behavior. If I ever become a target, then I will be prepared to defend my life and not become a statistic or victim of crime. Its my life or theirs, and I choose mine and my family's everyday. You have to understand that if you support votes to take away gun rights of the American people, you will be doing just that, taking away access to a means of legal personal protection.

Proposed gun laws and future feared bans will "never" affect criminals like home invaders, car jackers, armed robbers, or murderers. They make their living breaking laws. This will only affect law abiding citizens. Once, or if these laws are ever passed, criminals will have free reign to do as they please knowing that our gun rights have been heavily restricted or worse, taken away. They will no longer fear breaking in to our homes, pillaging thru our property or murdering our helpless "gun free" families. It only takes common sense to realize how fast the crime rate will skyrocket when U.S. Citizens can no longer legally protect themselves. For the very few non existent criminals that try to buy guns at legit gun shops, the five day waiting period and background check works great. Kudos to the Brady bill! But as for the rest of the 99.9% of convicted criminals among us who know better and get their guns through black markets, these laws and bans don't do squat against these unregistered, untraceable offenders. Gun laws and feared gun bans only affect "our" safety as a people.

After reading this, think about the affects of supporting gun laws and bans. Think of how peaceful this world "won't" be when criminals have no fear of committing crimes against you and your families. I urge all gun law/gun ban supporters to really read and take this letter to heart. Talk to your friends and families about this and really think about what your supporting and how these so called public protection, peace and love inspired gun laws may affect you and yours someday.

Best of luck.

Below are some great video links that will help you to visualize what this letter is all about.

YouTube - Gun Control Activist Yard Sign - Attention Criminals

YouTube - Criminals For Gun Control Part 1 - Home Invasion

YouTube - Criminals For Gun Control Part 2 - Carjacking

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.