Incredible: Orlando Sentinel has pro 2A editorial

This is a discussion on Incredible: Orlando Sentinel has pro 2A editorial within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Orlando Sentinel is a very liberal rag to say the least ... Even though this editorial lacks a few things, I am amazed they ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incredible: Orlando Sentinel has pro 2A editorial

Incredible: Orlando Sentinel has pro 2A editorial

The Orlando Sentinel is a very liberal rag to say the least ...
    Even though this editorial lacks a few things, I am amazed they would publish this.

start quote
    EDITORIAL
    We think: It's risky, but citizens have right to fight back against criminals

January 13, 2009

With some criminals able to skate through the judicial system without major consequences, life on the streets is getting more and more dangerous.

For them.

Average Joes and Janes have served notice they don't intend to stand by and let crime spin out of control. In Central Florida, a series of recent incidents is proving that people are taking a proactive -- and perfectly legal -- approach to protecting themselves and others.

In Ocoee, a customer shot and killed a robber at a convenience store. The customer was leaving the store when he noticed someone suspicious. He went back inside when he heard a clerk screaming for help, and used a .40-caliber semiautomatic pistol to kill the thief.

At a car wash along Orange Blossom Trail last week, two men using a sawed-off shotgun in a robbery attempt were thwarted by the would-be victim, who used a handgun to shoot and kill one the suspects.

Last month, an elderly Orange County man whipped out a pistol and took a shot at a home invader who was holding a gun to his wife's head. He missed, but the criminal fled.

We are not advocating vigilante justice. There's plenty of that in the movies, from Clint Eastwood's iconic Dirty Harry role to Jodie Foster in the role of a woman pursuing thugs who assaulted her, killed her fianc� and stole her dog in the psychological-drama The Brave One. Leave that visceral action for the cinema. There's no place for that in civilized society.

But if bad people with bad intentions are caught in the act, then citizens may certainly respond with force. People shouldn't live in fear, but they've obviously taken notice of the escalating violence and felt compelled to act.

Can you blame them?

Police are confiscating almost 10 illegal guns a day in this community. Murders set a record in 2008. Violent crime among youths is escalating.

With law enforcement pushed to the brink, more and more people are embracing the constitutional right to bear arms.

But people who are pulling out their guns with the best of intentions aren't trained police officers. There can be lethal consequences to their actions -- and we're not talking about the bad guys. Good people may end up getting hurt.

The best way to fight crime is to leave it in the hands of trained professionals. It's critical that Orlando Police Chief Val Demings, and Jerry Demings, newly-elected sheriff in Orange County, continue to use every weapon in their arsenal -- including some new ones -- to combat crime.

That means flooding high-crime areas with police officers. Becoming more effective in pulling illegal guns off the streets. Putting a greater emphasis on proactive programs to help stop kids from becoming career criminals.

Mr. Demings, in particular, wants to get his new administration going on the recommendations of a panel of homeowners, business and religious leaders and community activists he appointed to his transition team. The panel, headed by former Orange County Chair Linda Chapin, is expected to release its report as early as today.

Regular people, however, are showing their impatience. They're starting to use whatever legal means necessary to take back our streets from criminals.

That may not bode well for the bad guys. But it doesn't get law enforcement off the hook, either.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I guess that's as pro 2A as you can get out of a far left liberal rag. Too bad that even though they admit the average Joe/Jane has the right to defend themselves against crime, they don't think you should.

I would hardly call that pro rkba. It would have been a good article if it had noted that even under the most ambitious staffing proposals, no police department is capable of defending all people at all times.

I am thankful that it differentiates between self-defense and vigilantism.

Ryan

That's quite a stretch for the Orlando Fish Wrap and Cage Liner. Not exactly raving pro self defense but in the past they have really vilified people "who took the law into their own hands" as they called legal self defense. Maybe a light is trying to go on somewhere on the editorial staff.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Assistant Administrator
    Better than some I suppose - at least it's published and broadly pro.

If only these writers and editors would see the wood for the trees, which the antis refuse to do. Guns are not the problem - criminals and gang culture are. Those people will always get and have a gun regardless of how tight gun laws or bans are made - when will they see that simple fact.

Then too -the response time factor. ... there is no way any LE agency can ever be on hand for the vital 60 seconds or less that is all needed for an attack and victim killing ..... and so the only sensible option is the ability to fight fire with fire.

I have said before and will continue saying it - any and all anti people should consider/imagine themselves in extremis and unarmed ... and whether any could truthfully say - ''yeah sure, I'd rather die than fight back''!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
    I would hardly call that pro rkba. It would have been a good article if it had noted that even under the most ambitious staffing proposals, no police department is capable of defending all people at all times.

I am thankful that it differentiates between self-defense and vigilantism.

Ryan
    Why did they even mention vigilantism? Does that come to the anti's minds every time they think about a law abiding citizen defending themselves? Well, I guess the Floridians should be thankful they got that much of an endorsement.

You got to realize how far-left liberal the Orlando area is; like the San Francisco of Florida.
    Walt Disney thumbed its nose at the ruling on parking lot possession.
    And nothing happened !!!
    In that context this article is highly pro-2A
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Be still my heart! I lived in O'town for many, many years and the best use I could find for that rag was to catch the spray from my Hoppe's #9-loaded brush when it cleared the muzzle. Perhaps with record-setting homicides now happening annually the Slantinel is beginning to see the light. That, or they're worried the new Sheriff will recall all of the elephant guns the previous Sheriff bought.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

The reason Walt Disney and Universal got away with continuing to forbid employees from carrying in their vehicles (out of sight) is because of a specific loophole in the carry-at-work law stating that any place where "fireworks or explosives" are kept are exempt from the rule.

And so, since these places keep some fireworks very far away from the actual parks (but still on property), they are technically legally able to say that. Ridiculous, if you ask me.

You should read the column by Mike Thomas on Sunday January 11 concerning the Ocoee Florida shooting This happened at the Kangaroo convenience store where a customer shot and killed one of three robbers. this was a good pro gun article. The rest of the stuff they print tends to be slanted.
    Last edited by Tom G; January 13th, 2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: add

Do you have a link for this?
    Last edited by Bprepared; January 13th, 2009 at 10:04 PM. Reason: formatting

Quote Originally Posted by Bprepared View Post
    Do you have a link for this?
    Crime-fighting's future merely a guy with a gun -- OrlandoSentinel.com

I think he overdoes the part with the "assault rifles" but overall I think his point reflects a realization of common sense. Hopefully more will realize this.

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    You got to realize how far-left liberal the Orlando area is; like the San Francisco of Florida.
    Walt Disney thumbed its nose at the ruling on parking lot possession.
    And nothing happened !!!
    In that context this article is highly pro-2A
    Orlando is really pretty polarized. There is a large population of "old school" conservatives here. Whats killing us is the entertainment industry and their support of the far left. Let's face it, they have the bulk of the money going into political coffers. Most people here consider themselves pretty conservative compared to SE Florida.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post

Then too -the response time factor. ... there is no way any LE agency can ever be on hand for the vital 60 seconds or less that is all needed for an attack and victim killing ..... and so the only sensible option is the ability to fight fire with fire.
    I work for the courts and know many LEO and respect the job they do. However, they all agree with P95Carry's statement and are pretty much pro CWL.

I also would like to add that I cringe everytime a reporter or LEO PR person says that we need to leave the job to the trained proffessionals. I cringe because there are many, many agencies that accept 1-5 rounds down range from an officer to qualify him for a year. If this is what they mean by trained professionals and we followed that mantra I think we would all be screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Crime-fighting's future merely a guy with a gun -- OrlandoSentinel.com

I think he overdoes the part with the "assault rifles" but overall I think his point reflects a realization of common sense. Hopefully more will realize this.
    Great article!

Common sense from a newspaper.
    Who'd a thunk it?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links