Jacksonville FL: We are #1 !!!

This is a discussion on Jacksonville FL: We are #1 !!! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Duval County likely No. 1 in murders again | Jacksonville.com Rutherford said the department is also involved in a federal study to trace the sources ...

Thread: Jacksonville FL: We are #1 !!!

Jacksonville FL: We are #1 !!!

Duval County likely No. 1 in murders again | Jacksonville.com

Rutherford said the department is also involved in a federal study to trace the sources of stolen guns and will promote an awareness campaign to diminish the potential for guns to be stolen. Gun owners will be urged not to leave weapons in cars or in other places where they can be easily stolen, he said.
    I am actually in favor in finding out how criminals get to guns. Having some hard numbers would maybe lead to more sensible controls. The above quote appears to assume that careless legal gun owners are a big source. I have seen other studies (I think ATF) that conclude it is either straw purchases or thefts from gun stores with thefts from private persons in a far third of fourth spot.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

2. Remove Ads

Boy, I thought Detroit would always keep that title. Guess everyone is moving down south
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    Boy, I thought Detroit would always keep that title. Guess everyone is moving down south
    Jacksonville's rate is the highest in Florida.

It's still nowhere near Detroit's, or DC's.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Moderator
    Congrats! Hmmm, wait, that's not good!

You know it's funny, one step they said, "...Gun owners will be urged not to leave weapons in cars or in other places where they can be easily stolen, he said..." yet laws require that in many places.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    You know it's funny, one step they said, "...Gun owners will be urged not to leave weapons in cars or in other places where they can be easily stolen, he said..." yet laws require that in many places.
    No, they don't. You could always leave your gun at home, or better yet, destroy it and never buy another one again. That would definitely make the world a safer place.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

To put it in perspective to other cities:
    United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    (the numbers are for 2007, not 2008). According to this list, Jacksonville is #11 in the country. Jacksonville is a bit different in that it includes a lot of rural areas (it is area wise one of the largest cities in the country). Within Florida, it is typically compared to other counties, not other cities. I couldn't find a murder rate for the actual "city".

Regarding the gun thefts from private citizens: I once heard a cop say how they observe that cars in front of post offices are frequently targeted because people leave purses and such behind as they enter the post office. It would be nice to be able to show that it is safer to take a handgun along then leave it in the car. (as Tangle eludes to). GWRedDragon: Yes... there will always be a counter argument :-). But not having the numbers will not matter to those people either.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

jfl
    For several years, among the locals CCW, there is a "joke" about Jax.
    "Jacksonville is the extra magazine place".
    It seems the military installation attracts bad people and it is very close to the Georgia border. I cannot figure any other reason so far.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Detroit hasn't been the murder capital since the mid 80's that's when the crypts or bloods (I forget) tried to take over the Detroit drug trade and the Detroit "young boyz incorporated" sent them home in body bags, YBI was literally kids many under 12 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    It seems the military installation attracts bad people and it is very close to the Georgia border. I cannot figure any other reason so far.
    Downtown Jacksonville has long been the "dumping ground" for a lot of the undesirables of society. A few large homeless shelters and the jail are literally within a block of some new and expensive condominium projects. The city administration is more concerned about encouraging sprawl and due to its size, the city has a habit of just abandoning older neighborhoods and building new "rings" around the city. The focus is more on running a "cheap" city then a functional one (I think tax rates are the second lowest in Florida).

What you safe in taxes, you end up spending in CC gear :-)

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    No, they don't. You could always leave your gun at home, or better yet, destroy it and never buy another one again. That would definitely make the world a safer place.
    You are kidding, right???

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    +1

When I visit family there, I leave the little Kel-Tek 380 at home and pocket carry the G26. And I also agree with you regarding having an extra magazine in the car.

While Jacksonville, is the largest metropolitan city in the country, (size, not population) most of the crime, happens in the inner city,and most are drug related.

What I hate about it is, all the off Broadway shows, theater, and football games are all downtown, and while Orlando is closer for us, their crime rate is just as bad.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by landelmer View Post
    You are kidding, right???
    What do you think?

"Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Links