A letter to my Representatives.

This is a discussion on A letter to my Representatives. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Im sending this letter to my state and federal reps. Interested in opinions and feedback. Dear Mr. I am writing you this letter in response ...

Thread: A letter to my Representatives.

Im sending this letter to my state and federal reps. Interested in opinions and feedback.

Dear Mr.
    I am writing you this letter in response to what I see as an ongoing attack on Americans Second Amendment rights. In the interest of full transparency let me first tell you a little about myself. I was born in Ohio in 1968 and have lived most of my life in Cleveland, Oh. I am an honorably discharged veteran. I consider myself an Independent, my motto is Country before party. I am a member of the NRA; I collect guns as well as carry a handgun daily (legally licensed to carry a firearm). I also vote.

It infuriates me that some elected officials want me to trust them with my vote but, they don’t trust me with my guns. Gun Control Legislature like the Brady Bill, Assault Weapon Ban and the most recent introduction of H.R45 by Representative Bobby Rush (D-IL) are all attacks on American Liberty. Make no mistake Americas first love is not Democracy, it is Liberty. To be disarmed by ones government is tantamount to being enslaved by it.

Proponents of gun control would argue that they are simply trying to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. This is not true, gun bans only affect the law abiding citizen. It is unjust for the law to deprive the innocent of their liberties because of the behavior of criminals. Assault Weapons are dangerous in the hands of criminals therefore, no one shall have them. Such laws tell the innocent and law abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on there own conduct, but on the conduct of the lawless, that the law will permit the innocent to have only such rights and liberties as criminals will allow.

Florida State Criminology professor Gary Kleck, based on his own 1993 random survey, concluded that guns are used in self defense up to 2.4 million times a year. Justice statistics indicate that people who defend themselves with firearms are less likely to suffer injury than those who don’t resist or resist with other means.
    Police have no legal duty to respond and prevent crime or protect the victim. The responsibility for the security of your family and love ones is you and only you. This is the essence of the U.S Supreme Court decision in the early 1980s when they ruled that the police do not have a duty to protect you as an individual, but to protect society as a whole. So I ask how am I to protect my family and love ones if the anti-gun crowd in Washington takes away my means to protect them with (Firearms).

My representative’s record on Second Amendment issues will be a determining factor in how I vote in upcoming elections. In closing I would like to leave you with two quotes. The first is Benjamin Franklin and the second is from a book by Jeff Snyder titled A Nation of Cowards.

“Those who give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

“If the Government has the power to define what your rights are, do you really have any rights?”

Sincerely,
    Nothing begins, and nothing ends, That is not paid with moan; For we are born in others pain And perish in our own.

Looks good!

On this sentence, "Such laws tell the innocent and law abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on there own conduct, but on the conduct of the lawless, that the law will permit the innocent to have only such rights and liberties as criminals will allow."

I would end the sentence at 'lawless', and in a second sentence, make a point that by definition, the lawless will not follow the laws that are enacted. Also, 'there' is spelled 'their' in that usage.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Nice letter. Grammer corrected - send it. Please do keep us posted if you get any response.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

After the corrections the letter will be sent out to all my reps, and ill keep you informed if I get any replies.

I'm catching a lot of hell about my letter from a guy over on GlockTalk here's the link to the thread check it out. A letter to my Representatives. - Glock Talk
    Nothing begins, and nothing ends, That is not paid with moan; For we are born in others pain And perish in our own.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Good letter. Just a note, they should be addressed as Dear Representative, or Senator, rather than Mr.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Good Letter! You've handled the situation on the GlockTalk posts like a gentleman. I think you can see that other folks have your back there. Hang in there.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

In the sentence that begins : "Assault Weapons are dangerous...", I might consider adding the words "So called" to the beginning of the sentenence so it reads: "So called 'assault weapons'...". Calling them assault weapons is admitting that that's what they are; they're not, they're actually semi-automatic arms, which bear a resemblance to a military arm.

If you decide not to change this sentence, do not capitalize the word 'weapons'.

Otherwise, good letter!
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

In the sentence that begins : "Assault Weapons are dangerous...", I might consider adding the words "So called" to the beginning of the sentenence so it reads: "So called 'assault weapons'...". Calling them assault weapons is admitting that that's what they are; they're not, they're actually semi-automatic arms, which bear a resemblance to a military arm.
    This seems to be the first thing everyone recommends that I change.
    I am going to use the word firearms in the place of assault weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by pierced456 View Post
    This seems to be the first thing everyone recommends that I change.
    I am going to use the word firearms in the place of assault weapons.
    Good idea. I never use the word 'weapon'; I use 'arm' or 'firearm'

Also, s/b addressed to:

Honorable Joe Blow
    United States House of Representatives
    Washington, DC

and

Greeting:

Dear Congressman Blow,

everybody on this board needs to write their representatives concerning several items that effects us. it is easy now with the net and the web sites that are setup.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Links