Will our 2nd Amendment rights survive....

Will our 2nd Amendment rights survive....

This is a discussion on Will our 2nd Amendment rights survive.... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Will our 2nd Amendemnt rights survive this clock countdown? Countdown until Obama leaves office...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 78
  1. #1
    Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Texan in NWFlorida
    Posts
    1,588

    Cool Will our 2nd Amendment rights survive....

    Will our 2nd Amendemnt rights survive this clock countdown?

    Countdown until Obama leaves office



    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

    "Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

    GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself


  2. #2
    Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,681
    I say yes they will...

    Rick

  3. #3
    Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East Jahunga
    Posts
    1,424
    I was watching C-Span the other day and they were grilling the nomination for USAG Eric Holder by Senator Patrick Leahy (D) Vermont. Specifically, he was asked if he would seek to tamper with the private right of gun ownership and Holder is on the record as saying that he respects the findings of the SCOTUS and has no plans to bring change in that area. That said, The question was asked and answered rather quickly and his answer was vague in the sense that it did not speak to any particular types of firearms.

    While I dont think that the issue ranks high on the priority list of the incoming administration I do think that the AWB will be re-introduced at some time in the future.

  4. #4
    Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,831
    We have to be looking into the near future at the next Congressional elections and to the appointments of good Constitution defending judges in order to protect our rights.

    If the current members of Congress know their jobs are in jeopardy due to their stance on guns they will walk a tighter line. Not saying they wont mess with us a bit, but, I think by sending clear messages often we will better protect our 2a rights.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

  5. #5
    Senior Member Array Divebum47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    763
    I think they will. But it's going to take a lot of watching and activism. The primary reason we are in the fix we are in is not because of lousy politicians. It's because of an ignorant and apathetic electorate. (Notice I didn't use the term "voters"). The lousy politicians are a secondary cause.

    In my district in Ohio, I am very fortunate to have a pro A2 Representative. Matter of fact, both of his kids are in the 4-H program, and one of them will be joining me in some shooting sports instructor training in the Spring. But I still contact him and let him know my thoughts.

    It's really going to take a lot of surveillance on our collective parts, and for us not to sit back and let "someone" else do it. Someone else is gone.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

  6. #6
    VIP Member Array rottkeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    3,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    I was watching C-Span the other day and they were grilling the nomination for USAG Eric Holder by Senator Patrick Leahy (D) Vermont. Specifically, he was asked if he would seek to tamper with the private right of gun ownership and Holder is on the record as saying that he respects the findings of the SCOTUS and has no plans to bring change in that area. That said, The question was asked and answered rather quickly and his answer was vague in the sense that it did not speak to any particular types of firearms.

    While I dont think that the issue ranks high on the priority list of the incoming administration I do think that the AWB will be re-introduced at some time in the future.
    He may have been side stepping the issue of concealed carry and handguns in particular with that statement.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

    NRA Member

  7. #7
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,925
    He may have been side stepping the issue of concealed carry and handguns in particular with that statement.
    Of course he was. He's a politician...that's what they do,they sidestep and refuse to say "yes" or "no".
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.


    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

  8. #8
    VIP Member Array wmhawth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    4,438
    I believe our 2nd ammendment rights will survive the administration. I do think however that at some point in the future, hopefully after I'm dead and gone, a generation brainwashed from childhood on will willingly throw away those rights.

  9. #9
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,925
    I think its a bit early to tell if the Second Amendment will survive the new socialist administration. Only time will tell.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.


    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

  10. #10
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,665
    I think there will be no change from the present situation. AWB won't pass and most of the tough control issues really happen at the state level--think about CA, MD, IL, NY, WI. The problems in those states for CC have nothing whatsoever to do with the Federal government and everything to do with local and state politics. NYC has been doing its own anti-gun thing for decades, as one example.

    What utterly baffles me is the very limited effect of the recent SC ruling--- and I hope this comment doesn't bring about another round of discussion with SD and others about why? Point is, the damage gets done locally, not by Uncle. Yes, AWB was a Federal thing, but it was rolled back. Most of us must deal daily not with Federal gun issues (unless we are dealers), but with baffling and contradictory state or municipal laws.

  11. #11
    Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    2,736
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I think its a bit early to tell if the Second Amendment will survive the new socialist administration. Only time will tell.
    So, you think Obama and the Executive branch can repeal a Constitutional Amendment? Interesting. My reading of the Constitution is that the Executive branch has nothing to do with the Amendment process. It is Congress and the states.

    With our significant gains in gun rights, concealed carry laws and the 'Castle Doctrine', it is impossible to believe that 3/4 of the states will overturn their own laws. Ya think? Is that your argument?

  12. #12
    Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East Jahunga
    Posts
    1,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I think there will be no change from the present situation. AWB won't pass and most of the tough control issues really happen at the state level--think about CA, MD, IL, NY, WI. The problems in those states for CC have nothing whatsoever to do with the Federal government and everything to do with local and state politics. NYC has been doing its own anti-gun thing for decades, as one example.

    What utterly baffles me is the very limited effect of the recent SC ruling--- and I hope this comment doesn't bring about another round of discussion with SD and others about why? Point is, the damage gets done locally, not by Uncle. Yes, AWB was a Federal thing, but it was rolled back. Most of us must deal daily not with Federal gun issues (unless we are dealers), but with baffling and contradictory state or municipal laws.
    Well said.

  13. #13
    Member Array concealed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I think there will be no change from the present situation. AWB won't pass and most of the tough control issues really happen at the state level--think about CA, MD, IL, NY, WI. The problems in those states for CC have nothing whatsoever to do with the Federal government and everything to do with local and state politics. NYC has been doing its own anti-gun thing for decades, as one example.

    What utterly baffles me is the very limited effect of the recent SC ruling--- and I hope this comment doesn't bring about another round of discussion with SD and others about why? Point is, the damage gets done locally, not by Uncle. Yes, AWB was a Federal thing, but it was rolled back. Most of us must deal daily not with Federal gun issues (unless we are dealers), but with baffling and contradictory state or municipal laws.
    I agree with this atatement. However we must never look to the past to judge the future. Nothing prevents this liberal and socialist government elect to go where no one else has gone.

    Do I think our rights are in trouble? Probably not, but I will keep my eyes open and my letter writing going just the same.

  14. #14
    Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    2,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    What utterly baffles me is the very limited effect of the recent SC ruling--- and I hope this comment doesn't bring about another round of discussion with SD and others about why?
    Why is that your hope? We always have new readers who might not understand that the Second Amendment does not apply to the states.

  15. #15
    Member Array concealed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    We always have new readers who might not understand that the Second Amendment does not apply to the states.
    How is that?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. A Good Day for AZ and 2nd Amendment Rights
    By SpencerB in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 29th, 2010, 04:07 PM
  2. fired for practicing my second amendment rights
    By jack87 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 184
    Last Post: December 4th, 2009, 03:21 PM
  3. Vote for 2nd Amendment rights
    By advantage1one in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: July 23rd, 2009, 11:45 AM
  4. Waive your 2nd amendment rights
    By Logan5 in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: February 15th, 2009, 04:13 PM
  5. 2nd Amendment Rights Not for Individuals?!
    By DirtDawg in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: September 26th, 2007, 03:23 PM

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors