New York: Taking aim at Gillibrand

New York: Taking aim at Gillibrand

This is a discussion on New York: Taking aim at Gillibrand within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Daily News' Ken Lovett reports: With just days to go before Gov. Paterson selects his choice for U.S. Senate, a gun control group is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New York: Taking aim at Gillibrand

Lightbulb New York: Taking aim at Gillibrand

The Daily News' Ken Lovett reports:

With just days to go before Gov. Paterson selects his choice for U.S. Senate, a gun control group is making a last minute pitch to torpedo one of the candidates-Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand.

New Yorkers Against Gun Violence is urging supporters to contact Paterson to "tell him you don't want the NRA to take New York's Senate seat and that Kirsten Gillibrand does not represent the views of most New Yorkers!"

The email notes "it would be a mockery of what has been accomplished over the last decade making our streets safer to allow the NRA to dictate federal gun policy."

The message notes Gillibrand, a Democrat who has twice won in a heavily Republican upstate district, received an "A" rating from the NRA. The group cites her webside claiming she "will be an advocate for gun owners in Washington."

The group claims Gillibrand's views on gun ownership are "well outside the mainstream" of New Yorkers.

Though Caroline Kennedy is still considered the front-runner for the position by many, Paterson over the past two weeks has twice talked up Gillibrand to the Daily News.

The first time, he mentioned her name unsolicited when told he had been asking around about four other candidates. "I ask about her a lot," he said of Gillibrand, in adding her name to the list.

A week later, while not confirming he has met with her to discuss the seat, he added that the now second-term congresswoman was someone he was obviously considering.

Gillibrand spokeswoman Rachel McEneny could not be reached immediately for comment.

Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand Protecting 2nd Amendment Rights- Promoting Hunting and Fishing

ARTICLE

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    "you don't want the NRA to take New York's Senate seat" Like that could ever happen!

I don't get why Caroline Kennedy, who seems to have zero experience in any elected public office, should suddenly be the best choice for Senator.

She's a Kennedy, her name alone makes her right for the job

Gillibrand suppoted a very pro 2A bill and is a major improvement over Clinton. Here's info from ontheissues.com:

Gillibrand co-sponsored banning gun registration & trigger lock law in Washington DC

Nothing in any provision of law shall authorize the Mayor, or any governmental authority of the District of Columbia, to prohibit possessing firearms by a person who is allowed to possess firearms under federal law.
    Denies the District any authority to enact laws or regulations that discourage or eliminate the private ownership or use of firearms.
    Repeals the ban on semiautomatic weapons.
    Repeals the District's registration requirement for possession of firearms.
    Repeals the trigger lock law.
    Maintains the current ban on the possession and control of a sawed-off shotgun, machine gun, or short-barreled rifle.
    Eliminates criminal penalties for possessing an unregistered firearm.
    Specifies exceptions to the prohibition against carrying concealed weapons in the District.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    New Yorkers Against Gun Violence is urging supporters to contact Paterson to "tell him you don't want the NRA to take New York's Senate seat and that Kirsten Gillibrand does not represent the views of most New Yorkers!"
    Well I guess their plan didn't work, she was the governors appointee to fill Hillery's seat.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!! According to the latest news releases Gillibrand has been appointed to fill Hillary's seat. Carolyn McCarthy is having a hissy fit, having not even been considered by the governor. Now that's change I can believe in.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

You mean there is hope for New Yorkers?

jfl
    One more vote for us in the US Senate ???? Good
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by jbone View Post
    You mean there is hope for New Yorkers?
    No, this doesn't help New York any. She is going to be a US Senator from New York. She won't have any say as far as New York laws go.

This is a plus for national gun issues though. Ok, admitt it, it's time for some folks to fess up that they didn't see this one coming.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

O Kay farronwolf Didn't see it coming... I knew she was a consideration and had Kennedy not bowed out I don't think she had a chance. She and Patterson had better be ready for the fallout from the anti's as they are already spewing their venom over this one. And I hope they all choke on it.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    I heard her speech today, and it kind of bothered me that she mentioned the need to have strong legislation to keep guns out of the hands of criminals (uh, yeah, a group known for strict voluntary compliance with the law), but at the same time, protect the legitimate interests of hunters.

What about the legitimate interests of ordinary folks who want to be able to protect themselves and their families?
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Apparently she has an "A" rating from the NRA, for what that is worth.

I listened to McCarthy on Hardball this evening, and she did sound like she had drank a glass of soured milk.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

The milk was fresh when they gave it to her! It soured natually. Could be her bitter pill she takes. I feel for her loosing a spouse violently, but it was a person, a criminal, that shot him and others. Had there been other people around her husband that carried concelaed, the story might have had a different ending. Drunk driving kills and ruins families every day. I am not against automobiles, and I am not against alcohol (I'm a winemaker) I was hit by a drunk driver and nearly killed along with my 2year old son some years ago. I hold no ill toward people that want to drink.. nor do I hold ill against those that drive cars. I hold ill the person that was so drunk they slammed into the back of our Honda Civic and drove us into oncoming traffic.
    The gun never killed her husband, a person did. A car never ran into our car, a driver did. There are even some instances of people using their vehicles to maim and kill, yet we don't get all up in arms about taking cars off the streets.
    Vern
    http://Taurus45ACP.com
    My wesbsite with many pro-gun links.
    Carry Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45 ACP

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    I heard her speech today, and it kind of bothered me that she mentioned the need to have strong legislation to keep guns out of the hands of criminals (uh, yeah, a group known for strict voluntary compliance with the law)
    Why dont they understand this? It is probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

I think they fit Einsteins definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

And there weren't "strict" gun laws already in place in 1993 in Long Island? The denial disease of sheep never ceases to astound me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links