National Recipocity Bill Introduced

This is a discussion on National Recipocity Bill Introduced within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just read on the NRA page that Representatives Stearns R-Fl and Rick Boucher D-VA have introduced HR 197 "National Rite to Carry Act of 2009." ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: National Recipocity Bill Introduced

National Recipocity Bill Introduced

Just read on the NRA page that Representatives Stearns R-Fl and Rick Boucher D-VA have introduced HR 197 "National Rite to Carry Act of 2009." If a state has CC one would have to abide by their rules. If a state does not, federal regulations would apply. Of course certain criteria would have to be met in addition to a state issued permit to attain the Federal CC permit.

Senator John Thune R-SD is going to introduce a companion bill in the Senate. Apperantly he has done this since 1995.

Fire up the emails to your Rrepresentatives, Obama and his crew will fight it but the battle is worth it.
    I'm clinging to my guns and religion.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    still not sure how I feel about this and lean toward it being a states rights issue. We wouldn't want the Fed to inact a law banning CC nationwide so why should we support them being able to tell the states they have to allow something? Even if I would rather it was easier, I don't know if I agree with the Fed forcing these issues on states.

Further, since each state has different minimum requirements for license and renewals, it would appear that the Fed would likely have to set their own minimum standard. You can bet that standard would then be in line with the most difficult state to obtain a CCW like NY or California (or maybe IL and WI)
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    still not sure how I feel about this and lean toward it being a states rights issue. We wouldn't want the Fed to inact a law banning CC nationwide so why should we support them being able to tell the states they have to allow something? Even if I would rather it was easier, I don't know if I agree with the Fed forcing these issues on states.
    I agree with the states right argument, but the feds would be telling the states they have to comply with the U.S. Constitution. I can somewhat agree with both sides.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I started this thread because I too am torn between the two and was interested in my brethrens opinions. I do not think either bills stand a snowballs chance, but it is interesting.

I still feel that it is the states rights, but it also puts some pressure on the more opressive states.
    I'm clinging to my guns and religion.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    This is an easy issue if we go back to the Constitution.

Article IV Section 2:

The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states.

This means that if a citizen complies with another state's requirements then they cannot be prohibited from the same privileges of the citizens of that state.

That is, no state can prohibit acquiring a concealed carry permit simply because you live in a different state. Or prohibiting an out of state resident from collecting clams.

You know those crazy gun control bills that get introduced every single year and never get out of committee? This is the same thing in reverse. Note that Blue pointed out that the guy has introduced this bill every year since 1995. If it got nowhere during eight years under a Republican president and a more favorable Congress, take a guess where it's going now. I'm not saying you shouldn't write your congressman and such, just understand that you'll sooner see Bin Laden elected mayor of New York City than this bill seeing the light of day.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    This is something that should be left at the state level. The Federal level of government has it's hands in enough already, and they don't need to dabble in this anymore than they already have.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.

Further, since each state has different minimum requirements for license and renewals, it would appear that the Fed would likely have to set their own minimum standard. You can bet that standard would then be in line with the most difficult state to obtain a CCW like NY or California (or maybe IL and WI)
    Unfortunately, I have to agree. I hate to have to box up my guns before the brief trip through Maryland on my way from Virginia to West Virginia, and I wish there were a way around it. But I see this issue as exactly the same as the one in HR 45: Since the Constitution reserves the police power and governance of health, education, safety and welfare to the states, the U.S. has no authority to regulate ownership, possession or use of firearms - only transactions that affect interstate commerce. I suppose one might argue that individuals traveling from one state to another, as well as through intervening states constitutes "interstate commerce" and therefore subject to federal regulation.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Hummm...does it come with a CC badge :)))

Really...sounds good and will be interesting to see who votes for and against...or better stated, pro and anti...politics of the times to ferret out the enemies.

Rick

VIP Member
    I'd just as soon the Fed's keep out of it. Of course, even if it made it through congress I doubt it would be signed into law.

.......that the Fed would likely have to set their own minimum standard. You can bet that standard would then be in line with the most difficult state to obtain a CCW like NY or California (or maybe IL and WI)
    This is a good point, once the feds have it, forget easy. They would never give control back to the states. Aside from the de-facto registration, MI's carry laws are quite agreeable. I would hate to have to conform to a stricter standard, or not qualify all of a sudden.

All we need is an interstate national CCW compact.
    The exact same thing as how motor vehicle operators licenses work, which is not Federalized either.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

No Way on National Carry - States Rights Issue

No Way on National Carry - States Rights Issue

No Way do we want to involve the fed's in the carry issue be it conceal or open or both. fed's screw up everything the fed's touch.

Each state decide their on own rules prefer IAW with Second Amendment.

Do not like your state rules then you and yours change your state rules and leave the rest of us out of your problems, we will do the same.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    This is an easy issue if we go back to the Constitution.

Article IV Section 2:

The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states.

This means that if a citizen complies with another state's requirements then they cannot be prohibited from the same privileges of the citizens of that state.

That is, no state can prohibit acquiring a concealed carry permit simply because you live in a different state. Or prohibiting an out of state resident from collecting clams.
    Almost posted exactly this. Well said, SD.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Attempted several times in the past, it has always failed. Personally, I'm for the bill. It's not the feds taking over CCW, it's forcing states to accept them the same way as a drivers license or marriage license. For those who think it should be a states issue consider this. Most other states decide not to recognize your drivers license, if you want to drive there you must obtain one of theirs. By the way, if you are not a resident you can't get a license. Just an example, but plausible under the states issue argument.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links