Whats 1st on Obama's list?

This is a discussion on Whats 1st on Obama's list? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Scott There are certainly things that the President can do, such as appointing Eric Holder as the AG. In my opinion that ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whats 1st on Obama's list?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    There are certainly things that the President can do, such as appointing Eric Holder as the AG. In my opinion that is one of the scarier things he has done thus far.

Newsmax.com - Holder's Record Alarms Gun Owners

"The nomination of Eric Holder for the post of attorney general of the United States sends an alarming signal to gun owners about how the Barack Obama administration will view individual gun rights, the Second Amendment Foundation warned in a news release.

“Eric Holder signed an amicus brief in the Heller case that supported the District of Columbia’s handgun ban, and also argued that the Second Amendment does not protect an individual right,” argued SAF founder Alan Gottlieb. “He has supported national handgun licensing and mandatory trigger locks. As deputy attorney general under Janet Reno, he lobbied Congress to pass legislation that would have curtailed legitimate gun shows.

“This is not the record of a man who will come to office as the nation’s top law enforcement officer with the rights and concerns of gun owners in mind,”

2. Remove Ads

My prediction is that Obama will work as hard getting a new AWB into place as Bush did in getting rid of it.

Basically it will be of little or no concern to him.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    If Congress passes one, he will sign it. Given the architect of the last one is the VP, I see another AWB without a sunset clause as very likely.
    He doesn't have the votes. Going straight party line, he's one vote short of killing a filibuster. And it won't go straight party line as there is a significant number of pro-gun Democrats (we picked up another one yesterday). He won't even consider it until after the 2010 election, and then only if he picks up a bunch of Senate seats.

The anti-rights crowd in Congress is the real and more immediate problem. They now have a rubber stamp in the White House, so they will be like kids in a candy store. The pro-rights people need to be looking to the mid-term elections to win some seats, or it will be a long road.
    Current projections (and obviously this far out they are not worth a lot) have the Democrats picking up several seats. With the number of Blue Dogs there still might not be enough to get any major GC laws passed. Interestingly, the same projections show that 2012 will be a big year for the Republicans. If that's true, for the next six years the period of 2011 to 2012 will be the scariest.

Regulatory actions are the real potential boogeymen. We know about Holder's proclivities. There is one thing different from the 90s, and that's the level of organization of the pro 2nd people. If any regulations go through, the reaction will not be a few angry letters to the editor, it will be a firestorm that the president will have to respond to. And it will cost him significant political capital to keep them in place. Given that gun control was for all practical purposes a non-issue during the campaign, I'm not hugely worried about the next two years. Think of the list of issues that he explicitly and frequently campaigned on: the economy, energy policy, infrastructure, Iraq/Abu-Ghraib/Guantanamo, etc. Hell, he talked more about a national championship for college football than he did guns.

I'm in with the people who think that Congress is where the trouble will come from. The majority leaders know he will sign whatever they get to him. We just have to make sure that nothing gets to him.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Distinguished Member
    If you don't think it is on the agenda, then read this:

Pro-gun US Senate pick makes some NY pols unhappy - MSNBC Wire Services- msnbc.com

And this:

Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

They are slobbering at the mouth to get started.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    In two years...Congress will face another election. I'm more inline with Sixto and Scott.

Public opinion is that assualt type weapons (not very clearly defined in the public's eyes...and on purpose) needs to be banned. Many large LEO organizations say the same. What that ban will look like is TBD. Regardless...very little fallout to the election process if banning AW.

However...going after handguns...totally another story and the political machinery knows it.

Rick

Maybe I am at fault for inserting logic in this debate, but I still have no clue how they (you know who) think baning guns will lower crime. ESPECIALLY the man from Chicago!

There have been many, many examples of crime rising when honest citizens are disarmed.

If I am at fault for using reason and logic, please forgive me.

I just see it this way, if my house is on fire and I have a sink full of dirty dishes I'm gonna concentrate on the fire first.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Moderator
    Maybe I am at fault for inserting logic in this debate, but I still have no clue how they (you know who) think baning guns will lower crime.
    Its not about lowering crime or being safe nor has it ever been. It's about control.

If I am at fault for using reason and logic, please forgive me.
    When you understand that its not about logic or reasoning, then you will begin to see what gun control is all about.

Obama's goal is to bring the United States into line with the ideals of the United Nations. So far, the U.S. has for the most part been somewhat resistant to many of its ideas, such as a World Court,control of the oceans,mandated standards to reduce "global warming", one existing military(its own) or elimination of private ownership of firearms worldwide.

How he intends to do that is a matter of speculation. He is already well on his way as he has the backing to do this. He has Biden,Clinton,Holder, Pelosi and a host of others that think like he does.

The reason that most gun owners with a clue see these people as the enemies of gun owners is because they ARE. They are hostile to the ideals of this country and gunners are one of the few obstacles standing in their way.

That is why they see us with such contempt. It's not about guns at all, it never has been and it never will be. Its about total control of the masses. Until we gun owners start seeing it as such, they will win the battle.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    When you understand that its not about logic or reasoning, then you will begin to see what gun control is all about.
    Understood and agree. So maybe my problem is why others don't see it for what it is and either refuse to see this, they have access to the same statistics we do which refute the "reasons" given for gun control laws. Or maybe we are becoming a nation of people who want to be taken care of by Uncle, I am not and am making sure my kids aren't either, but other than the small percentage of us, maybe we are heading that way?

All aspects of their reasons and the fact that people just go along with it just baffles me.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    The majority of people are sheep and need to be told what's good or bad for them. They can't think...A few that have been able to BS themselves into office, CAN think and they know how easily people can be manipulated, especially when people WANT to believe the BS. Obama is well spoken, but a lot of his words, at least to me, seem empty.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

I read that he could force the ammo company's to engrave matching serial numbers on the casings and on the bullets per box, and when you buy ammo that serial number will be registered to who ever buys it.
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

Senior Moderator
    but other than the small percentage of us, maybe we are heading that way?
    It would appear so. As evidenced by many of the posts on this forum, especially with the younger crowd, it would appear that lots of folks, even some of the hard core second amendment types that swear"they'll take my gun from my cold dead hands" aren't looking at the big picture and seeing what has happened on the world scene. Its no accident that few countries left in this world actually allow private owership of weapons. Those that do have so many restrictions and registration requirements or they have made the process so exepensive that the threat of an armed rebellion is pretty much non existant.

We are pretty much the only ones left that have basically an unhindered relationship with firearms. We can own them, shoot them, make them, and carry them...for the most part. Even here we have some states that will not allow their citizens to carry, Illinois and Wisconsin. Illinois registers the firearms and the people that use them. They require a firearms owners I.D. just to buy ammo. Other states restrict the ownership of firearms or make it very difficult just to purchase one.

We see posts here on that, how so and so spent the better part of a year getting "approved" to buy a handgun and getting the proper permits so that he can take it home.

And that amazes me. I can drive to any gun store,buy a gun and walk out in about 5 minutes. Yet, in another state a person might have to have permission from a police chieft, apply to a judge, get a signed statement saying that he can own a gun so that he can buy it,then register it and then he is allowed to take it home. And yet this person thinks that it is "normal" to do all of this.

All aspects of their reasons and the fact that people just go along with it just baffles me.
    It should. They go along with it because they dont know any different.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Senior Moderator
    I read that he could force the ammo company's to engrave matching serial numbers on the casings and on the bullets per box, and when you buy ammo that serial number will be registered to who ever buys it.
    I dont beleive that the President could "force" a private company to do anything. Congress makes the law that would require a company to comply, the President does nothing but sign the law into effect.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I dont beleive that the President could "force" a private company to do anything. Congress makes the law that would require a company to comply, the President does nothing but sign the law into effect.
    I know how it works, I just didn't want to go into that much detail about the process. But technically by him signing the law into effect he is forcing them comply.
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    What concerns me is lack of access to the President our side has to debate our position with the President and to educate him on
    the real meaning of what the antis want to do and how it will affect the shooting sports and hunters.I think the President will pass some legislation but
    initially he will do it by executive order and that bothers me because there's no debate!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links