Colorado shoots down gun bill

This is a discussion on Colorado shoots down gun bill within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Colo. lawmakers shoot down gun bill - KDVR Colo. lawmakers shoot down gun bill By Associated Press Staff Writer 4:34 PM CST, January 26, 2009 ...

Thread: Colorado shoots down gun bill

Colo. lawmakers shoot down gun bill - KDVR
    Colo. lawmakers shoot down gun bill

By Associated Press Staff Writer

4:34 PM CST, January 26, 2009
    DENVER (AP) A bill that would have forced local communities to discontinue efforts to protect children from gun accidents got shot down during a hearing in a Senate committee today.

Senate Bill 74 would have prohibited safe-storage ordinances in Colorado and allowed the sale of guns and accessories manufactured in Colorado to be exempt from federal laws. It was killed by the Senate State, Veterans and Military Affairs Committee on a 3-2 vote.

Opponents said 19 states, including Montana and Kansas, have already passed child access prevention laws designed to protect children from firearms stored without safety devices.

Some opponents said the proposed law was unconstitutional because it would have pre-empted acts of Congress.
    Title reads like a win for us, but the article reads more like a win for the antis.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I wonder which part of the Bill was viewed negatively. Child safety is now a political buzz word. The second part, exempting firearms and accessories (that are legal in Colorado) from Federal law isn't a bad thing as it returns power to the State. I just got the sponsor's email last night and he said it would be a test case. I think the mistake was bungling the bill into two distinctly different parts.

His email stated, "...I’ve introduced a bill that will wipe out all the “safe storage” of firearms laws in Colorado. It recognizes the Heller decision of last summer and will keep citizens from having to waste their time and effort challenging onerous local laws by just wiping them out in one fell swoop. The bill also contains a much more aggressive section where I purposefully challenge the federal government’s authority over intrastate sales of firearms. I expect the lefties at the federal level to ban at least some types of guns, so this section says that a Colorado citizen can purchase a gun or accessory from a Colorado manufacturer no matter what the federal law says if that gun is legal in Colorado. If it passes, we’ll see if the federal courts will follow the pre-1935 rulings or stick with the later cases...."

A trial balloon and it didn't make it out of committee. Perhaps another day. This Senator is very pro-2A and has been instrumental in blocking some previous moronic legislative submissions. He is one of the very few at any level I trust.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Sponsored Links