Records show McCarthy contributed to Gillibrand races

This is a discussion on Records show McCarthy contributed to Gillibrand races within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; McCarthy is lying. See McCarthy knocks Gillibrand as choice for Senate -- Newsday.com ... Sen. Charles Schumer, who like McCarthy is a strong proponent of ...

McCarthy is lying. See McCarthy knocks Gillibrand as choice for Senate -- Newsday.com

... Sen. Charles Schumer, who like McCarthy is a strong proponent of gun control, asked the Mineola Democrat to refrain from protesting Gillibrand's selection, McCarthy said. "He said, 'Why don't you give her a chance?'" McCarthy said. "I said, 'I've talked to her on the floor, I'm sorry, I can't.'" ...

Records show McCarthy contributed to Gillibrand races -- Newsday.com

Rep. Carolyn McCarthy may be threatening a primary challenge to newly named New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand over her pro-gun stand, but records show McCarthy donated $1,500 to Gillibrand's two successful races for an upstate House seat.

McCarthy's leadership PAC gave Gillibrand a $500 contribution for her first run for Congress in 2006, and doubled it to $1,000 for her re-election bid last June, according to federal campaign finance records.

McCarthy made the second donation June 5, months after Gillibrand had publicly signed on to a legal brief that drew attacks from McCarthy's friends among gun-control advocates because it urged the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn Washington, D.C.'s, gun ban.

"Yeah, I gave her money. I didn't know what her stance was," said McCarthy, a Democrat from Mineola who has made gun control her signature issue since she first ran for Congress in 1995 after a gunman shot and killed her husband on the Long Island Rail Road.

McCarthy said she was trying to help a Democrat win an uphill race in a conservative Republican district. She insisted she did not know about Gillibrand's strong pro-gun views.

But since learning of the top rating the National Rifle Association gave Gillibrand last fall, McCarthy has repeatedly blasted her appointment to fill Hillary Rodham Clinton's Senate seat by New York Gov. David A. Paterson on Friday.

And on the eve of Gillibrand's formal swearing-in today at 12:30 p.m. by Vice President Joe Biden on the Senate floor, McCarthy talked yesterday with staff and consultants about a primary challenge to Gillibrand in 2010.

Gillibrand's office did not return calls seeking comment.

McCarthy said she is "nowhere near" declaring her candidacy and won't decide if she will until spring or early summer. More important, she said, is raising money for a race that could cost anywhere from $20 million to $80 million.

With Gillibrand appealing for funds, McCarthy said she'll send out fundraising letters and e-mails in a week or two. But she said they'll be for her re-election to the House, for now.

In the meantime, she added, "I have to have meetings with the other people who also have expressed interest in running."

The field begins to fill out with reports that former New York Gov. George Pataki is mulling a run.

Rep. Peter King (R-Seaford) wavered a bit yesterday, saying Gillibrand could be a tougher opponent than Caroline Kennedy, who dropped out of the running for Paterson's appointment last week.

King said he was ready to file "30 seconds" after Kennedy's appointment, and though he's still "very much inclined" to run, he'll take more time to think it over now that he'd face Gillibrand.

While no candidate is close to the amount of money consultants say they will need to run for Senate, after last year's election Gillibrand reported she had $272,492 left over, McCarthy $238,859 and King $1.1 million.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Very thorough...
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Links