National Park Concealed Carry......NOT YET!

This is a discussion on National Park Concealed Carry......NOT YET! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It looks like BO & friends are going to try to subvert this rules change...... Colorado Independent Obama punts 11th-hour oil shale, park gun rules ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Park Concealed Carry......NOT YET!

VIP Member

National Park Concealed Carry......NOT YET!

It looks like BO & friends are going to try to subvert this rules change......

Colorado Independent Obama punts 11th-hour oil shale, park gun rules to Salazar

Environmentalists and unarmed national park enthusiasts got a bit of a reprieve Tuesday when the new Obama administration issued a memo halting further progress on a series of controversial midnight regulations pushed through in the waning days of a lame-duck Bush White House.

New West.net has the details on the last-minute rules that would have short-changed states on commercial oil shale royalties, de-listed the gray wolf as an endangered species and allowed loaded guns in national parks, among other measures:

Tuesday’s memo from Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel calls for a withdrawal of any regulation yet to be published, a ban on new regulations and a request that departments wait 60 days to implement any regulations that have been published and reopen public comment periods.

“It is important that President Obama’s appointees and designees have the opportunity to review and approve any new or pending regulations,” Emanuel wrote to federal departments and agencies......

....National park visitors hoping for a peaceful stroll through natural wonders sans pistol-packing may not have a friend in Salazar. The proposed rule to roll back a Reagan-era ban on loaded guns in national parks.....
    So.....Who among you still believe BO won't be coming after our firearms? ( This one only took them a week to react to........any bets on what's next?)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I have to keep most of my Obama comments to myself until August...

But I scanned this the first time through, and I saw "de-listed the gray wolf as an endangered species and allowed loaded guns in national parks" along with environmentalists.

I thought the hippies were afraid we were going to CC in national parks and go around shooting gray wolves. All I could think was, endangered or not, a gray wolf attacks me, I'm shooting it.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Environmentalists or not, a hippie attacks me, I'm going to shoot it too.

like we have said before though, he can't just "take it back," that period of time has already run and now he must go through the lengthy rules process. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I understand it.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    like we have said before though, he can't just "take it back," that period of time has already run and now he must go through the lengthy rules process. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I understand it.
    That's the way I understand it too which is what makes all the news reports confusing. They are making it sound like the firearms in parks is still in that "approval/acceptance" window which it is not (or so I understood based on what was published on DOI site).

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    Read this part again:
    Tuesday’s memo from Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel calls for a withdrawal of any regulation yet to be published, a ban on new regulations and a request that departments wait 60 days to implement any regulations that have been published and reopen public comment periods.
    The Park carry rule is LESS than 60 days old!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

well, just because he makes a request...does that really mean anything. I mean, the law is on the books, can a memo really just temporarily remove that rule at the Chief of Staff's whim. Doesn't make sense to me, sounds like it just won't be published or something, but it is still the law...like I said, I might be very wrong on this. Just trying to understand it myself.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Read this part again:

The Park carry rule is LESS than 60 days old!
    What I found was the following though
    The NPRM for this rule was first published in the FR on April 30, 2008. The 60 days comment period was to end June 30, 2008. It was published again on July 9, 2008 to extend the comment period another 30 days to August 8, 2008. The final rule was published December 10, 2008.
    The way I understand this process is that when it's published it's past it's 60 days comment period and anything that is going to change it has to follow the same process that it took to implement it in the first place.

It's in effect now, the 60 day review has been completed.

Note that the "source" here is the Colorado Independent, which is a local liberal, long-haired, maggot-infested, dope-smoking "alternative newpaper".

Quote Originally Posted by Timberline View Post
    It's in effect now, the 60 day review has been completed.

Note that the "source" here is the Colorado Independent, which is a local liberal, long-haired, maggot-infested, dope-smoking "alternative newpaper".

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    The Park carry rule was published in December, and implemented two weeks before the inauguration. I don't see how this effort (which is not uncommon---past Presidents have done the same thing) could affect Park carry. We'll see. Likely, somebody is going to have to end up being a test case.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    ... ....National park visitors hoping for a peaceful stroll through natural wonders sans pistol-packing may not have a friend in Salazar. The proposed rule to roll back a Reagan-era ban on loaded guns in national parks.....
    You left off the rest of the reference:

" ...National park visitors hoping for a peaceful stroll through natural wonders sans pistol-packing may not have a friend in Salazar. The proposed rule to roll back a Reagan-era ban on loaded guns in national parks was supported by then-Sen. Salazar before being tapped by Obama to lead the Interior Department."

It makes a difference! Regan put the ban in place, Salazar supported it's removal.

Distinguished Member
    MY HEAD HURTS, I DON'T UNDERSTAND ANY OF IT.....

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    MY HEAD HURTS, I DON'T UNDERSTAND ANY OF IT.....

Z
    +1.

I'll wait for the test case.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I think this is one of the few times where I'd be willing to be the test case. If I feel like going snowshoeing up in Rocky Mountain National, you can bet I'll have my CCW with me.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links