Good: LTE

This is a discussion on Good: LTE within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/192620 [At bottom.] Ban vehicles to end drunken driving The most recent statistics on DUI deaths in the United States indicate that about 14,000 people ...

Thread: Good: LTE

VIP Member

Thumbs up Good: LTE

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/192620

[At bottom.]

Ban vehicles to end drunken driving

The most recent statistics on DUI deaths in the United States indicate that about 14,000 people die each year. This is out of control. We need to consider an immediate ban on all vehicle sales in the United States. By banning all vehicle sales and confiscating any vehicles currently registered, we will stop the DUI problem immediately. People can either walk, ride bikes or use public transportation. This will also help eliminate our dependence on oil and eliminate a lot of pollution.

If the previous statement sounds absurd, welcome to the world of law-abiding gun owners who are under a barrage of gun laws to limit or eliminate their right to legally own firearms.

If you want to solve the DUI problem, go after the drivers of vehicles, not the vehicles they drive. If you want to eliminate gun crimes, go after the criminals, not law-abiding gun-owning citizens.

KENT CARTNER
    ROANOKE
    Kent
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

...And there is nothing in the Constitution that says that we have the right to operate a motor vehicle... but they want to do away with our 2nd Amendment rights. Go figure.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Very nice!

I would like to announce the Paul34 Campaign to End Vehicular Violence. Does anyone want to join? Let's do it for the children!

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    The [insert small girl who was killed by drunk driver that lived] Safer Transportation for Citizens Act of 2009!
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

When I was 20 I had been direct victim of a drunk driving incident.

The driver was a white female mom of then early 30's approx. age and she had black hair. The car she drove was a GM product.

I lost a year of my life toward rehab to relearn and adapt toward how to walk and run (doc's said I'd never walk again without assistance...they were very wrong). As a result of that incident though I suffered nerve damage to my lower back and right foot that did not resolve for several more years thereafter. Permanent loss was my prior ability to run speedily and for long distances as had been my training since age 6 in sport and competitions elementary school into college, up to the day before being hit.

I do not hold the car guilty nor have thoughts to restrict use or ban out right all automobiles for concern of drink driver risk. In fact I am and have always been a 'car nut'.
    Nor do I feel same toward alcohol even as I up to then had been a non-drinker. I now drink very little though after the accident I did have a to my mind pretty bad spell of drinking and not acting right for a couple years.

I don't harbor ill will toward white folks or women or moms or persons with black hair.
    That's just dumb.

And I did not think at all to sue GM because the car was made by them.
    That's dumb too.

But if I had been shot instead of rammed into with a ~3K+ lb 'assault vehicle' I would be in a Brady database and folks would be condemning all persons who resemble the victimizer and all products that resemble her own tool of specific assault. And folk would be calling for legislation to ban the mfr. from producing such products and thinking to hold the mfr. liable for damages as well.

As a person who has been there and worn the shirt as victim none of it makes any sense to me.
    Excellent post DaveH. Excellent.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Thumbs up

nice...

VIP Member

Another

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/193050

Tech's no-guns policy leaves students helpless

Tech's no-guns policy leaves students helpless

I find it tragic that, according to news reports, seven witnesses to the recent killing of Xin Yang felt they had no option other than to run out of the room and call police. Of course, due to Virginia Tech's asinine "no guns on campus" policy, none of these people had any real way to stop a madman armed with a knife. The horrific outcome once again showed what can happen when seconds count and it takes minutes for police to respond.

If one of the bystanders had been able to carry a weapon on campus, perhaps he or she could have stopped the attack before the young lady lost her life. Unfortunately, we will never know if the attack could have been stopped, and even more frightening is the fact that there is absolutely nothing to prevent it from happening again. The police, who in my opinion do as much as humanly possible to protect the citizens, cannot be in all places at all times.

It is outrageous that the administration at Virginia Tech and most other universities continue to support policies that leave students helpless to defend themselves against deranged individuals.

PAUL BISBEE
    BEDFORD
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

and another

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/193578

At bottom

Guns are designed for sport, protection

Re: Sharon Diller's letter "A nicely argued point, but wrong" (Feb. 2):

Her remark that "handguns are designed and used to injure and kill people" is just as wrong. Guns are designed and are supposed to be used for sport, hunting and protecting yourself and your family against others who are trying to cause you harm.

Guns do not kill people. People kill people, and not necessarily with guns. If people put God back in the schools and prayer back in their everyday lives, maybe some of the crime would stop.

SHEILA MARTIN
    NARROWS
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links