A reply from my Senator...Good stuff!

This is a discussion on A reply from my Senator...Good stuff! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Dear Mr. Kletty, Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to the nomination of Eric H. Holder Jr. for attorney general. I appreciate ...

Thread: A reply from my Senator...Good stuff!

A reply from my Senator...Good stuff!

Dear Mr. Kletty,

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to the nomination of Eric H. Holder Jr. for attorney general. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

As you may know, it is the constitutional role of the United States Senate to offer advice and consent on the President's cabinet nominees. As such, Senators have the right to debate and oppose these nominees based on their merits and qualifications. While I believe President Barack Obama's nominee for attorney general, Mr. Holder, has demonstrated great intelligence and legal acumen throughout his career, he has also exhibited inferior judgment on several occasions, calling into question his ability to serve and advise in a constitutionally responsible manner.

Like you, I have concerns about Mr. Holder's role as deputy attorney general under Janet Reno in the controversial Clinton Administration pardons of fugitive financier Marc Rich and members of the FALN and Los Macheteros terrorist organizations. We are a nation at war, and the Department of Justice (DOJ) is essential to upholding the rule of law at such a critical point in our history. Mr. Holder's decision to move forward with recommending these politically-motivated pardons, despite widespread and significant opposition within the DOJ, is an unfortunate lack of discernment and not consistent with President Obama's desire to bring a new level of openness and transparency to the federal government.

It is imperative our country's next attorney general strictly interpret the Constitution and enforce the law, without allowing his personal opinion to influence his decision-making process. Unfortunately, Mr. Holder continues to demonstrate his inability to do so on the issue of Second Amendment rights. During last year's challenge to the District of Columbia gun ban, Mr. Holder displayed his disregard for American citizens' Second Amendment rights by signing an amicus brief arguing against an individual's right to keep and bear arms, a right the Supreme Court subsequently upheld.

Mr. Holder's seeming hostility towards American gun owners includes support for a three-day waiting period for handgun purchases, outlawing gun shows, limiting handgun purchases, and licensing and registering all gun owners. While serving under former President Clinton, Holder stated before the House Judiciary Committee that 13 kids on average die every day because guns are too easily accessible. He went on to propose measures, such as raising the minimum age a person can possess a handgun from 18 to 21, to "reduce inappropriate youth access to firearms." It is evident Mr. Holder views strict gun control measures and obstructing the freedom of law-abiding citizens as a necessary solution to crime.

I believe the right to self-defense is a cherished Constitutional right, and while we must grant law enforcement the tools to protect lives, we must protect with equal vigor the fundamental liberties that define our American way of life. Having an Attorney General who is so opposed to the Second Amendment rights of American citizens would undermine the very system of justice he is nominated to uphold. Rest assured, I am strongly opposed to President Obama's nomination of Eric Holder to serve as Attorney General.

Thanks again for sharing your concerns with me. Please feel free to contact me in the future about any issue important to you or your family. It is an honor to serve you and the people of South Carolina.

Sincerely,

Jim DeMint
    United States Senator

I dont even want to talk about Lindsey Graham.... He's all about whatever the popular vote is IMO. He's a RINO for sure.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

2. Remove Ads

Oh yeah he also sent one in reply to my opposition to removing term limits for the President.

He said he would be wwatching it and if it got to the Senate he would oppose it as well.
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

good deal.... thanks

I got the same one. Every time I contact Senator DeMint the more I like him. Go to his web page and look at the earmark video. Very interresting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticman View Post
    I got the same one. Every time I contact Senator DeMint the more I like him. Go to his web page and look at the earmark video. Very interresting.
    Yeah he is awesome. You catually get to talk to someone when you call his office too.

Unlike the other senator who sends a confirmation email and nothing more.
    New tunes added.

Here's a funny one from Mel Martinez-FLA

Dear Mr. Bernard:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Presidentís nomination of Eric Holder to serve as Attorney General of the United States. I appreciate hearing from you and would like to respond to your concerns.

I am so happy that you appreciate hearing from me. You've got me dancing now.

According to the Constitution, the Senate is charged with providing advice and consent to the president regarding selection of Cabinet Secretaries, as well as over 1,000 executive branch appointments. Prior to the president submitting names to the Senate, the Federal Bureau of Investigation conducts an extensive background check on each of the nominees.

Passing of the FBI background check is supposed to trump his track record?

The Senate committee with jurisdiction over the office that the nominee is seeking holds hearings on the nominee's appointment, usually with the nominee presenting testimony. Following a simple majority vote to discharge the nominee from the committee, the nomination may be considered by the full Senate, which must approve the nomination by a simple majority vote for the nomination to be confirmed.

Thanks for that educational note Mr. Senator. However I already knew that. Do you treat all of your voters this way?

As you may know, Mr. Holder served as a former judge of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia and Deputy Attorney General of the United States. If confirmed, he will be the first African-American Attorney General of the United States.

I do know and his track record in these positions is what concerns me and who cares about the color of his skin?

I adhere to the principle that, assuming qualifications, a President gets to choose the members of his Cabinet. I have met with Attorney General-designee Eric Holder and he answered a number of questions to my satisfaction. Eric Holder understands the unique role of Attorney General and further, I think he is qualified to serve in that role. Therefore, I intend to support Mr. Holder's confirmation.

Pardon me Mr. Senator but apparently you represent me, not the President

Again, thank you for contacting my office. If you have any additional questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me. In addition, for more information about issues and activities important to Florida, please sign up for my weekly newsletter at United States Senator Mel Martinez.

Sincerely,

Mel Martinez
    United States Senator

I can't believe this man lists himself as a conservative... I am happy he is not running again 2010. He is a disgrace to the Republican Party. I think he is a whimp....

Yeah Mel lost it a while back
    New tunes added.

Links