New Republican Party Position on Guns??????

This is a discussion on New Republican Party Position on Guns?????? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Quote from the new Republican National Commitee leader. “…Society should draw lines. What do you need an assault weapon for, if you're going hunting? That's ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Republican Party Position on Guns??????

New Republican Party Position on Guns??????

Quote from the new Republican National Commitee leader.

“…Society should draw lines. What do you need an assault weapon for, if you're going hunting? That's overkill. But I don't think that means you go to a total ban for those who want to use gun for skeet shooting or hunting or things like that. But what's the point of passing gun laws if we're not going to enforce them? If you want to talk about gun control, that's where you need to start. We've got 300 gun laws on the books right now. At the end of the day, it's about how we enforce the law.”

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    We've got 300 gun laws on the books right now.
    Correction it is more like 20,000+ when you take all the states into consideration.

At the end of the day, it's about how we enforce the law.
    And therein lies the problem, with our current “catch and release” judicial system they create much more work for Law Enforcement catch and recatching the same offenders.
    Last edited by msgt/ret; February 2nd, 2009 at 12:02 PM. Reason: spelling
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

sounds like a high school girl's writing

I'd like to write him,and our states Senators.. .

Where did you get this information?

Thanks

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    It just never seems to end........does it?
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by concealed View Post
    What do you need an assault weapon for
    Because they are cool and I want one.

That's overkill.
    That's your (Repub who wrote this, not the OP) opinion, mine differs than yours.

But what's the point of passing gun laws if we're not going to enforce them?
    Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. Finally a statement I can agree with.

At the end of the day, it's about how we enforce the law.
    Better yet it's about how you DON'T enforce the law unless it is a popular enforcement in the ivory tower (AWB, ban on hicap mags, etc.)

The Republican party is not what it used to be, and I won't even go in to what the Democrapic party has become, the whole lot of them need to go and be replaced with the American Party. A party of actual American citizens and not those who were but lost their identity after being on the Hill for so many years, insulated from reality and common sense.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    I'm not surprised by Steele's comment. I'm not surprised by anyone's comments on gun control. Well, no, I just lied.

I was surprised this morning by interesting pro-gun comments I saw in a liberal magazine.

I was at my docs office and she gets a rag called UTNE. I don't know anything about this magazine but usually look at that and Mother Jones while waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting.

I do not think pro-or anti gun sentiments fit neatly into liberal or conservative positions; democratic or republican positions. People either like guns or it seems they hate them. Few are in the middle. Of those in the middle you get all kinds of wishy washy notions; from they are OK for hunters but who would want to carry, to there may be a small number of folks who need to carry but most of us don't. The goofies cut both ways across all political lines except maybe for the libertarians. (I like lots of libertarian ideas, I just don't think they can be put into practice.)

Not disputing that Steele said this, but can we get a link?

Why do people continually keep interjecting "hunting" when it comes to firearms use and ownership!?!

Hello, McFly.
    There are 100 _other_ lawful and normal uses for firearms aside from that specific and narrow range of hunting.
    Somebody should educate him because right now he sounds to be as knowledgeable as the Brady people.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Steele is the new Republican flag bearer and they are priming him for the 2012 nomination. And yes, the GOP is slowly changing its free-for-all stance on guns in America because polls still show that too many voters do not get it! We are facing more regulations as time goes by, and more strict punishment for failure to report stolen or sold firearms.

And the GOP is going to be backing these stances more and more.

We will need to turn to the 3rd party candidates like the Libertarians for true 2a freedoms in the near future.

VIP Member

Work with the guys who will win elections

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    Steele is the new Republican flag bearer and they are priming him for the 2012 nomination.

And the GOP is going to be backing these stances more and more.

We will need to turn to the 3rd party candidates like the Libertarians for true 2a freedoms in the near future.
    No. Because the libertarians are not going to win many elections. Effort needs to be put on those who have the ability to win--whether that is dem or repub., a lib or conserv, a green or an independent.

Pick up on who is likely to win the primary elections in your district from both parties, and work to make certain that those running will at least see our side. You do this by making donations of time and money, meeting people, going to support rallies big and small, writing personal letters, and not by keeping your wallet closed, staying at home, forgetting to write, and waiting for others to make picks you won't like.

All votes are equal, but work within a campaign, or work for a specific candidate amplifies your voice.

Quote Originally Posted by concealed View Post
    What do you need an assault weapon for, if you're going hunting?
    .223 is legal for Fall turkey in the state of Colorado. An AR is what I will be using for my Fall hunt.

Just a reminder to those reading here, the quotes from my OP are NOT my opinion, but quotes from an older quote from Steele.

Agreed Hopyard.

- Ralph Nader
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    No. Because the libertarians are not going to win many elections. Effort needs to be put on those who have the ability to win--whether that is dem or repub., a lib or conserv, a green or an independent.

Pick up on who is likely to win the primary elections in your district from both parties, and work to make certain that those running will at least see our side. You do this by making donations of time and money, meeting people, going to support rallies big and small, writing personal letters, and not by keeping your wallet closed, staying at home, forgetting to write, and waiting for others to make picks you won't like.

All votes are equal, but work within a campaign, or work for a specific candidate amplifies your voice.
    Well here is the push: The 3rd parties are very influential when it comes to policy changes by the GOP and Dems. The often adopt policy when enough votes are lost to those parties.

If we keep thinking we can change the other two parties through their own parties, we might not be any more successful. I'm afraid with the way the Dems are dominating now, that the GOP are going to adopt more and more of the Dems policy in order to gain back those lost votes.

Face it, the extreme right-wing is a fading faction. They will never win another election again. McCain was as far to the left as any GOP nominee in history, and the next one (if Steele) is even likely to be more in the middle. And Guns are always a topic used to sway voters.

I agree an effort within the parties is needed, but perhaps we need another organization outside of the NRA to help us. The NRA took a huge hit with its own flip-flopping on backing candidates. First they hated McCain, called him very dangerous to gun rights, then the next election they loved him and backed him. A lot of people I know were upset with their inability to stand up for themselves and back the only real guy who was totally pro 2a and that was Bob Barr. But the NRA had the same thought process you point out, in that they will not back a 3rd party and risk hurting the GOP.

The problem is the entire system is broken, and the voters are all scared to back anyone but the top two parties because of it.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links