Reporters View on Virginias pro-gun efforts....

This is a discussion on Reporters View on Virginias pro-gun efforts.... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The article here is quoted below. Chris Fordney: Guns are winning in capital "Philip Van Cleave has been kind enough to send me an e-mail ...

Thread: Reporters View on Virginias pro-gun efforts....

Reporters View on Virginias pro-gun efforts....

The article here is quoted below.

Chris Fordney: Guns are winning in capital

"Philip Van Cleave has been kind enough to send me an e-mail about the activities of his group, the Virginia Citizens Defense League, which fights restrictions on guns for civilians and is not to be confused with the Virginia Defense Force, the state's unarmed military reserve organization.

The VCDL has been as organized and active as usual this year. "Pro-gun bills flood General Assembly," the release is headlined.

The group's Web site states that its rally in Richmond on Martin Luther King Jr. Day was "a stunning success." Some might think it was poor taste to hold it that day, but parking was free around the Capitol and gun-control groups have chosen that day for vigils, etc., so the VCDL apparently wanted its folks to be there too.

It's amazing how well the VCDL was received in Richmond. In the e-mail, Van Cleave acknowledges how cooperative Capitol police were for allowing members to be admitted by showing their concealed-carry permits. Now, where else would security let people in with guns?

The VCDL is serving up its usual menu of bills that seek the lifting of controls on carrying concealed weapons just about anywhere. Among their victories in recent years have been to eliminate restrictions in state and national parks, where muggers, rapists and murderers are known to congregate in large numbers.

By contrast, the perennial gun-control bill that would close the loophole that allows private sales at gun shows without background checks made it out of a Senate committee, but is considered an easy target for pro-gun Republicans in the House of Delegates.

The VCDL is also chafing against the "onerous" one-gun-a-month purchase restriction in Virginia. This has been a terrible hardship, allowing each gun owner to buy only about 200 handguns since this law went into effect. It's harder to gauge its effect on gangsters who might want to stop off at a store in Virginia and fill up a suitcase with Glocks.

Also, the much-feared gun seizure by President Obama has not come to pass. Obama has moved boldly and swiftly on a variety of his goals, so it's a mystery as to why he hasn't sent the feds into the South for the mass removal of firearms.

So the guns seem to be winning and I have even considered joining the crowd and getting a concealed-carry permit. With 160,000 people in the commonwealth now carrying concealed heat, you know there must be a few kooks among that generally law-abiding bunch, and I want to be ready for when I come across one of them.

Seriously, I worry less these days about muggers and more about running into some wacko with a chip on his shoulder, a pistol legally hidden under his coat and a readiness to provoke someone into giving him an excuse to use it.

I figure if a robber runs up and sticks a gun in my face and demands my wallet, I will dramatically raise my chances of being killed if I pull out a gun. If I wait until he turns and runs with my money and then shoot him in the back, I've acted as cop, jury, judge and executioner over the loss of a few bucks and a couple of credit cards.

Many people are carrying guns and have received training on how to use them. A much trickier issue is when to use them."

Contact Chris Fordney at cfordney@nvdaily.com

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

"Philip Van Cleave has been kind enough to send me an e-mail about the activities of his group, the Virginia Citizens Defense League, which fights restrictions on guns for civilians and is not to be confused with the Virginia Defense Force, the state's unarmed military reserve organization.
    "Kind enough" ???

Nothing clandestine about VCDL.

You want the Alerts -- sign up for them.

The VCDL has been as organized and active as usual this year. "Pro-gun bills flood General Assembly," the release is headlined.

The group's Web site states that its rally in Richmond on Martin Luther King Jr. Day was "a stunning success." Some might think it was poor taste to hold it that day, but parking was free around the Capitol and gun-control groups have chosen that day for vigils, etc., so the VCDL apparently wanted its folks to be there too.
    To which I reply,

"Finally, I contended that the debate over the question of self-defense was unnecessary since few people suggested that Negroes should not defend themselves as individuals when attacked. The question was not whether one should use his gun when his home was attacked, but whether it was tactically wise to use a gun while participating in an organized demonstration." Martin Luther King, Jr., Where Do We Go From Here: Chaos or Community? Chapter II, Black Power, Page 27, Harper & Row Publishers Inc., First Edition, 1967.

and

"As we have seen, the first public expression of disenchantment with nonviolence arose around the question of "self-defense." In a sense this is a false issue, for the right to defend one's home and one's person when attacked has been guaranteed through the ages by common law." Martin Luther King, Jr., Where Do We Go From Here: Chaos or Community? Chapter II, Black Power, Page 55, Harper & Row Publishers Inc., First Edition, 1967.

It's amazing how well the VCDL was received in Richmond. In the e-mail, Van Cleave acknowledges how cooperative Capitol police were for allowing members to be admitted by showing their concealed-carry permits. Now, where else would security let people in with guns?
    Where else would security let people in with guns???

Any State or locally own building in VA -- save k-12 schools, property used exclusively for K-12 school-sponsored functions, courthouses, detention facilities, air carrier airport terminals, and Virginia Commonwealth University (which slipped it through the State admin. code.).

The VCDL is serving up its usual menu of bills that seek the lifting of controls on carrying concealed weapons just about anywhere. Among their victories in recent years have been to eliminate restrictions in state and national parks, where muggers, rapists and murderers are known to congregate in large numbers.
    Statistics please? When asked the NPS came up empty.

By contrast, the perennial gun-control bill that would close the loophole that allows private sales at gun shows without background checks made it out of a Senate committee, but is considered an easy target for pro-gun Republicans in the House of Delegates.

The VCDL is also chafing against the "onerous" one-gun-a-month purchase restriction in Virginia. This has been a terrible hardship, allowing each gun owner to buy only about 200 handguns since this law went into effect. It's harder to gauge its effect on gangsters who might want to stop off at a store in Virginia and fill up a suitcase with Glocks.
    "onerous" one-gun-a-month???

The only bill I know of that is pending is one to allow active members of the armed forces avoid the ban on one-gun-a-month purchase.

Is Chris Fordney claiming that our service men are gangsters who might want to stop off at a store in Virginia and fill up a suitcase with Glocks???

Also, the much-feared gun seizure by President Obama has not come to pass. Obama has moved boldly and swiftly on a variety of his goals, so it's a mystery as to why he hasn't sent the feds into the South for the mass removal of firearms.
    Check out house bill 45.

So the guns seem to be winning and I have even considered joining the crowd and getting a concealed-carry permit.
    Right

With 160,000 people in the commonwealth now carrying concealed heat, you know there must be a few kooks among that generally law-abiding bunch, and I want to be ready for when I come across one of them.
    Less than with LEO's. Want to disarm them too, Chris??

Seriously, I worry less these days about muggers and more about running into some wacko with a chip on his shoulder, a pistol legally hidden under his coat and a readiness to provoke someone into giving him an excuse to use it.
    Provoking someone into giving him an excuse to use it voids any excuse. Clearly, Chris Fordney hasen't got a clue.

I figure if a robber runs up and sticks a gun in my face and demands my wallet, I will dramatically raise my chances of being killed if I pull out a gun. If I wait until he turns and runs with my money and then shoot him in the back, I've acted as cop, jury, judge and executioner over the loss of a few bucks and a couple of credit cards.

Many people are carrying guns and have received training on how to use them. A much trickier issue is when to use them."
    Again no clue.

Contact Chris Fordney at [email]cfordney@nvdaily.com/email
    Maybe everyone (not just those in Virginia ) Contact Chris Fordney and
    Last edited by DaveH; February 2nd, 2009 at 08:38 PM. Reason: some misplaced [I]s
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Contact Him Now

I emailed him and suggest we all do, whether you live in Virginia or not. We must band together to foster support as much as possible, and to correct reporters like this. If they continuw to disseminate bad information, it does not help our cause.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    "onerous" one-gun-a-month???

The only bill I know of that is pending is one to allow active members of the armed forces avoid the ban on one-gun-a-month purchase.

Is Chris Fordney claiming that our service men are gangsters who might want to stop off at a store in Virginia and fill up a suitcase with Glocks???
    Oh, that's an extreme exaggeration, isn't it? We all know that anyone who shows up at a gun store with his "gangsta" id in order doesn't have to go through the NCIS background check, whether he's military or not.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

VIP Member
    And we care about the opinion of a liberal reporter whose last original thought was before his editor gave it to him? The guy is a sheep who does not get it.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    And we care about the opinion of a liberal reporter whose last original thought was before his editor gave it to him? The guy is a sheep who does not get it.
    Never know, he could be a wolve in sheeps clothing!

"Among their victories in recent years have been to eliminate restrictions in state and national parks, where muggers, rapists and murderers are known to congregate in large numbers."

This is the best reason I can think of why honset citizens should be allowed to carry. It semms a person would have to be crazy to go there unarmed.

My question on this one point is why isn't the government doing anything about this? If we know the criminals are all in the woods then go get them!

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by concealed View Post
    The article here is quoted below.

So the guns seem to be winning and I have even considered joining the crowd and getting a concealed-carry permit. With 160,000 people in the commonwealth now carrying concealed heat, you know there must be a few kooks among that generally law-abiding bunch, and I want to be ready for when I come across one of them.

This reporter is an idiot. But, then, I repeat myself.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

AEA
    Quote Originally Posted by concealed View Post

Mr. Obama's pick for Gun Grabbing AG (Eric Holder) was confirmed by the Senate today.

Links