Calhoun Co, Michigan Alert!!!

Calhoun Co, Michigan Alert!!!

This is a discussion on Calhoun Co, Michigan Alert!!! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I received a phone call and a e mail about this, if you are in the area get to work N call your county rep ...

Exclamation Calhoun Co, Michigan Alert!!!

I received a phone call and a e mail about this, if you are in the area get to work N call your county rep and show up at the meeting, lets fill the place!

Calhoun County Commissioners will be voting on a resolution this Thursday. Which reads as follows:

Calhoun County Commission

Agenda Item 12.A. (5) for 2/5/09

WHEREAS, present levels of gun violence in the United States are far higher than in nations which regulate gun purchases more stringently,

NOW, THEREFORE, the Calhoun County Board of Commissioners support:

(1) The renewal of the ban on sale or purchase of assault weapons (making the ban permanent); and

(2) The enactment of laws at all levels of government to make it harder for those with diminished mental capacity or criminal intent firearms either legally or illegally.

I believe their intention is for paragraph II to read like this:

(2) The enactment of laws at all levels of government to make it harder for those with diminished mental capacity or criminal intent, to acquire firearms either legally or illegally.

Lord Willing, I plan to attend this County Commission Meeting and I would appreciate as many CCGOA members or, for that matter, any interested Calhoun County residents to attend for a show of support. The meeting starts at 7:00PM Thursday, February 5 in the Calhoun County Bldg, 3rd Floor Commissioners Chambers, Marshall MI.

It would be nice if we could make an impression on the Calhoun County Board of Commissioners and let them know they donít have permission from their constituents to pass this resolution; in fact there are many, many other things that need their attention, on our behalf, other than this and they better refocus their efforts..

Wayne E Groth

GLSSA - President

CCGOA - Chairman

NRA - Life
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Is it just me or would this be illegal due to the pre-emption laws in MI? MI does not outlaw "assult weapons" so how can the county impose a more strict law??? If it passes, I see a lawsuit. Glad I live in Ottawa Co.
    "Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun."-
    Sammy "The Bull" Gravano

Looks like this is essentially just a resolution in favor of AWB and making it harder for people to get guns. No effect of law. Just their opinion or "amicus brief" if you will.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

it is my understanding that county commissioners cannot pass laws that pre-empt Michigan law. Just stating their position and forwarding it to other politicians, who are crooks and liars.

Yet a resolution would make it look like we all favor it and not just a few anti county comishioners...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Links