Georgia Lacks Common Sense

This is a discussion on Georgia Lacks Common Sense within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Daily Citizen, Dalton, GA - Georgia lacks common sense gun laws Georgia lacks common sense gun laws By the Brady Campaign Washington, D.C. – ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Georgia Lacks Common Sense

The Daily Citizen, Dalton, GA - Georgia lacks common sense gun laws
    Georgia lacks common sense gun laws

By the Brady Campaign

Washington, D.C. – Georgia has weak gun laws that help feed the illegal gun market, allow the sale of guns without background checks and put children at risk, according to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. In the organization’s 2008 state scorecards released today for all 50 states, Georgia earned just seven points out of a total of 100.

“Firearms policy in Georgia is a major factor in public safety, but too many of our legislators do not get the connection. How people get guns and who gets them is the difference between a rising rate of violence and safer communities. Until our state leaders understand that connection, they will continue to make bad decisions that endanger our citizens, our law enforcement personnel and our neighborhoods,” said Alice Johnson, Executive Director of Georgians for Gun Safety.

Georgia’s score actually dropped by two points as the legislature passed, and the Governor signed, legislation to allow loaded guns on workplace property. The new law forces private property owners, business owners and major employers to allow their employees to have loaded guns on company property, even if the company does not want guns on their property. “Allowing a disgruntled employee to have a loaded gun accessible in their car is a recipe for disaster,” said Valerie Hartman-Levy, spokesperson for the Georgia Million Mom March Chapters. “State legislators should be ashamed.”

“Georgia doesn’t do enough to keep dangerous people from getting dangerous weapons,” said Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign.

The state’s complete scorecard results can be accessed at Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. The categories covered by the Georgia 2008 scorecard are as follows:

States can earn up to 35 points by taking all measures needed to “Curb Firearm Trafficking.” States can fully regulate the gun dealers within their borders, limit bulk purchases of handguns, provide police certain technology to identify crime guns, and require lost or stolen guns to be reported to the police. Georgia earned just five points in this category.

States can earn up to 25 points by “Strengthening Brady Background Checks.” This involves requiring background checks on all gun sales and requiring a permit in order to purchase firearms. Short of universal background checks, states can also close the gun show loophole, at least requiring background checks for all gun show sales. Georgia scored zero points in this category.

States can earn up to 20 points by “Protecting Child Safety” when it comes to guns. States can require that only childproof handguns be sold within their borders, require child safety locks to be sold with each handgun, hold adults accountable for keeping guns away from kids and teens, and require handgun purchasers to be at least 21 years of age. Georgia scored zero points in this category.

States can earn up to 10 points by “Banning Military-style Assault Weapons,” as well as banning high-capacity ammunition magazines. Georgia scored zero points in this category.

States can earn up to 10 points by making it harder to carry “Guns In Public Places” (except for trained law enforcement and security) and by allowing localities to “Preserve Local Control” over municipal gun laws. This includes keeping guns out of workplaces and college campuses, not forcing law enforcement to issue concealed handgun permits on demand, not permitting “shoot first” expansions in self-defense laws, and not preventing municipalities from passing their own gun laws. Georgia scored just two points in this category.

Brady Campaign officials acknowledge the research of Legal Community Against Violence on state gun laws. Their publication, “Regulating Guns in America,” and website served as a basis for our analysis. For more information about Legal Community Against Violence, see Legal Community Against Violence.

As the nation's largest, non-partisan, grassroots organization leading the fight to prevent gun violence, the Brady Campaign, with its dedicated network of Million Mom March Chapters, works to enact and enforce sensible gun laws, regulations and public policies. The Brady Campaign is devoted to creating an America free from gun violence, where all Americans are safe at home, at school, at work, and in our communities.

For continuing insight and comment on the gun issue, read Paul Helmke's blog at Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. Visit the Brady Campaign website at Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

Now the real question is what can Georga do to get 0 points in the "Guns in Public Places" and the "Curb Firearms Trafficking" categories?
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

who cares about points from the brady campaign? I would consider that worse than points on my license.

...... we're proud of you Georgia... keep up the good work.

As far as my opinion of the Brady bunch ....

Our local news here had the same thing about Oklahoma. How we were in a three way tie for last. The Brady Bunch is out of their mind. I'm so tired of the lies.
    God Bless America!!

This is one time I'm glad we have a failing grade.

yep, were working on a big fat ZERO from the brady bunch, and im proud of our failing report card
    F&AM
    NRA LIFE
    GCO member

I don't think Australia could get higher than a 50 on the Brady Bunch score card
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I nearly threw up reading that article. We can get 35 points for this, and 25 for that. Sickening. I wish I had not found it at all.

Talking

Looks like Missouri scored a whopping 4 points! I love it!
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

"Earning points," eh?

Better that victims are aided and criminals eliminated. Those are the only real "points" that matter. Everything else is smoke and spin.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

mkh
    “Banning Military-style Assault Weapons,” will only get you 10 points. I thought the ban was the answer to all evil in our society.

From GeorgiaCarry.com:

Georgia firearm applications surge

January 31st, 2009

Sunday’s Atlanta Journal Constitution reports an amazing surge in the number of firearms license applications for 2008. 121,219 people applied for firearms licenses in 2008, and, since these licenses are good for 5 years, this represents a growing constituency that will be difficult for legislators to ignore. It is extremely difficult to trample on the rights of more than half a million Georgians. The growing number of people exercising their right to bear arms bodes well or the future of civil liberties in Georgia. There is a quote from GCO in the article.

That's worth another seven points isn't it? Let's go ahead and give 'em a zero!

VA is tied for 14th.

Of course, we only have 18pts out of 100...
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    "Save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword" - Gen. R. E. Lee

The Brady's pay no attention to the facts.

I read an article a while back about Kennesaw Ga, where they passed a law requiring gun ownership in response to some city banning guns in Illinois back in the 80's. The teo cities were relatviely equivalne in size and growth during the period covered by the laws. The article was a look at the two 20yrs or 25 yrs later, how ever long it's been.

Guess which town had higher increase in crime rates over the past years. It wasn't the one in GA.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links