Justice Ginsburg Has Surgery for Cancer

Justice Ginsburg Has Surgery for Cancer

This is a discussion on Justice Ginsburg Has Surgery for Cancer within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Pancreatic can is very tough, but Obama may be getting his first SC nominee sooner rather than later. My thoughts go out to Justice Ginsburg ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Justice Ginsburg Has Surgery for Cancer

Post Justice Ginsburg Has Surgery for Cancer

Pancreatic can is very tough, but Obama may be getting his first SC nominee sooner rather than later.

My thoughts go out to Justice Ginsburg and her family.

WASHINGTON -- Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg underwent surgery for pancreatic cancer Thursday, after a routine checkup disclosed an early-stage tumor, the court said.

Justice Ginsburg, the only woman on the court, was treated for colon cancer a decade ago. After a career as a law professor, a legal advocate for women's rights and a federal appellate judge, she was elevated to the high court by President Bill Clinton in 1993, becoming a reliable member of the court's liberal wing.

The Supreme Court gave no indication that Justice Ginsburg, 75 years old, had any immediate plans to step down. But if she does leave the court, President Barack Obama is likely to select a successor he would expect to continue her approach to the law. It is almost certain he would select a woman to join the eight male justices.

The Obama administration hasn't publicly signaled whom it might consider for a high-court vacancy. Candidates could include Kathleen Sullivan, 53, a professor and former dean of Stanford Law School; Georgia Chief Justice Leah Ward Sears, 53; and U.S. Circuit Judge Sonia Sotomayor, 54. Another oft-mentioned candidate, Harvard Law School Dean Elena Kagan, 48, is Mr. Obama's nominee for solicitor general, the official who represents the government before the Supreme Court.

The court offered few details about Justice Ginbsurg's condition, other than stating that a CAT scan detected a tumor about one centimeter across in her pancreas late last month She had surgery Thursday at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York, the court said. It said her attending surgeon, Murray Brennan, expected the justice to remain hospitalized for seven to 10 days.

Pancreatic cancer is among the most deadly forms of cancer, and the five-year survival rate is low. However, doctors not involved in the case said it was promising that Justice Ginsburg's tumor was found early enough to allow for surgery.

In November remarks at Columbia Law School, where she received a law degree in 1959 and later became a professor, Justice Ginsburg noted that she, like Justice Louis Brandeis, had been appointed to the court at age 60. Justice Brandeis served until age 83, she observed, and "my hope and expectation is to hold my office at least that long."

Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., to an immigrant father and a first-generation American mother, Justice Ginsburg became a major figure in the women's rights movement. In the 1970s, she modeled a litigation strategy for gender issues on the struggle by blacks to achieve racial equality in the courts. Erwin Griswold, the late solicitor general and dean of Harvard Law School, is said to have called her the "Thurgood Marshall of gender-equity law," comparing her to the first black justice.

In a 2006 speech at the University of Cape Town, South Africa, Justice Ginsburg observed that until 1971, the Supreme Court turned away every equal-protection claim based on sex. The following year, she helped found the Women's Rights Project at the American Civil Liberties Union. "We sought to spark judges' and lawmakers' understanding that their own daughters and granddaughters could be disadvantaged by the way things were," she said.

"She's incredibly driven to get to the right answer and at the same time she's extraordinarily warm and caring," said Robert Gordon, a former Ginsburg clerk who now is associate director of the White House Office of Management and Budget.

Justice Ginsburg was recovering from colon cancer during his clerkship, Mr. Gordon recalls, "but nothing would faze her. You would come into the office in the morning and there would be a message she had phoned in at 4 a.m. with edits on the memo you had given her the night before."

In a May 2001 speech, Justice Ginsburg described her cancer experience, saying that "there is nothing like a cancer bout to make one relish the joys of being alive."

Dr. Brennan, who wasn't available for comment, is an expert in pancreatic cancer. The American Cancer Society has projected that about 37,680 Americans would be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2008, and 34,290 people would die of it.

Gauri Varadhachary, a pancreatic-cancer expert at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, said most patients have progressed to an inoperable stage of the disease by the time it is diagnosed. Even if the tumor is surgically removed, the disease often returns within a few years, said Dr. Varadhachary, who isn't involved in Justice Ginbsurg's care.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

What am I missing here? Isn't Ginsburg one of the judges that voted against heller,so if she retires it's not like were losing a pro gun judge
    Last edited by pgrass101; February 6th, 2009 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Romed qouted post
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    Please keep this 2nd admendment related so it can stay open.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    What am I missing here? Isn't Ginsburg one of the judges that voted against heller,so if she retires it's not like were losing a pro gun judge
    You're missing nothing she is a antigunner who will probably be replaced by an antigunner. This should not change the balance in the court.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    You're missing nothing she is a antigunner who will probably be replaced by an antigunner. This should not change the balance in the court.
    Exactly! The balance doesn't change..........yet..........

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Exactly! The balance doesn't change..........yet..........
    We need her to stay in place for four years so that she is not replaced by a younger more antigun version of herself.

I remain hopeful for 2012
    Last edited by bbqgrill; February 6th, 2009 at 12:59 AM. Reason: clarification
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

BAC
    I don't see what this has to do with the Second Amendment at all. But I'm tired, so I might not be as sharp as I'd be otherwise...

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

She is anti 2nd amendment

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I don't see what this has to do with the Second Amendment at all. But I'm tired, so I might not be as sharp as I'd be otherwise...

-B
    so I don't want her to leave until we can replace her with someone who is at least neutral but hopefully pro 2nd; we will not get pro 2nd out of the current administration.

Cheers
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

BAC
    Then this is a non-issue. Still not seeing the relevance.

Best wishes to Justice Ginsburg for a full recovery.

-B

Exactly

Best wishes to Justice Ginsburg for a full recovery.

-B

It is in our best interest that the current Chief Executive does not have the opportunity to appoint any younger versions of Justice Ginsburg. Hopefully, after 2012 there may be a different perspective. Sorry, I guess I am not communicating well, as I know, from our previous discussions that you are an astute observer of our system of government.

BAC
    Well, to be fair I wasn't being very detailed in my responses, so lemme give it another go.

She was thought to be retiring this term anyway. The 'why' is/was anyone's guess, but she's not getting any younger, that much is plain. She is also no apparent friend to the US gun owner, or to any other American who happens to carry about their rights. No matter what happens, if/when she leaves, the worst that can happen is she is replaced with someone with similar views. Anyone more extreme and I doubt they'll get the nod from the Senate. So in all likelihood, worst-case-scenario is "like-replaces like".

That she has cancer, though, is not a subject of the forum topic. That she may leave, given what I described above, isn't really a "Second Amendment" subject either. One more Justice being cycled out is all, as always happens and as will always happen. As voters, there isn't a whole lot we can do about it. We have the "pleasure" of watching and doing little more than be vocal as hell if we dislike something.

-B

OK, here is my take

Well, to be fair I wasn't being very detailed in my responses, so lemme give it another go.

She was thought to be retiring this term anyway. The 'why' is/was anyone's guess, but she's not getting any younger, that much is plain. She is also no apparent friend to the US gun owner, or to any other American who happens to carry about their rights. No matter what happens, if/when she leaves, the worst that can happen is she is replaced with someone with similar views. Anyone more extreme and I doubt they'll get the nod from the Senate. So in all likelihood, worst-case-scenario is "like-replaces like".

That she has cancer, though, is not a subject of the forum topic. That she may leave, given what I described above, isn't really a "Second Amendment" subject either. One more Justice being cycled out is all, as always happens and as will always happen. As voters, there isn't a whole lot we can do about it. We have the "pleasure" of watching and doing little more than be vocal as hell if we dislike something.

-B
    OK, now I understand your perspective. Whereas, I was looking at it from the glass half full perspective; that is if she is not replaced during this term then maybe we get someone more on our side. But, you are right worst case we get the same. And, yes, we expect BHO to nominate two Justices during this term I am just hoping that it is less than two, zero would be nice.

As for Justices being a 2nd amendment issue; sure they are, with all of the judicial activism that we are currently seeing anything that impacts the SCOTUS is a 2nd amendment issue in my opinion.

As for the health and well being of all Justices I think that is relevent for the aforementioned reason. This is only my opinion and as you know I do respect your point of view.

Cheers

I wish her well. Pancreatic cancer is a horrible disease that nobody deserves.
    Men look out for themselves; real men look out for others!

Then this is a non-issue. Still not seeing the relevance.
    Ginsburg is anti-gun.

A younger, at least equally-energetic, voice for decades could have lasting impact on anti-gun leanings, if she's out and a nomination gets made by Obama.

That's the issue and the point: that decades could be the result, not merely another anti-gunner balancing an exiting anti-gunner. But, that an anti-gunner could likely be in place for decades, should a nomination occur. The point is, the fewer of these that come to this anti-gun administration, the fewer decades-long battles will swing that direction.

In that sense, it's most certainly a 2A-related situation. In the same way it'll have impact on civil rights and the whole host of issues which the SCOTUS reviews.

So in all likelihood, worst-case-scenario is "like-replaces like".
    ... for decades.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

... for decades.
    Is that the way is always works? Whether you like them or not, justices are usually there for decades. Nothing new here.

Like BAC said, this isn't really anything that wasn't expected to come up during the next 4 years.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links