Arizona Senate Bills--write your elected officials!

This is a discussion on Arizona Senate Bills--write your elected officials! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello all Arizonans! There are a couple of common-sense bills that are in the AZ Senate that relate to Concealed Carry. One addresses the right ...

Thread: Arizona Senate Bills--write your elected officials!

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar

Hello all Arizonans! There are a couple of common-sense bills that are in the AZ Senate that relate to Concealed Carry. One addresses the right of Arizonans to carry in restaurants; the other allows for the defensive display of a firearm.

You can find your senator at Member Roster and find your district by entering your zip code in the box at the top-right of the page at Arizona Independent Redistricting Commission - Interactive District Maps . Write your state senator!!

This is the email I sent to my senator (Senator Linda Gray) and also sent to my Representatives (Jim Weier and Doug Quelland). I already got a reply from Representative Quelland.

Dear Senator Gray,

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is John Correia and I have lived in Phoenix for approximately 6 years. My family is proud to call Phoenix our home and appreciate your leadership of our state. I live in District 10, pastor a church in Glendale and am a part-time professor at Southwestern College on 26th Street and Cactus. I am a US Navy veteran and proud husband and father. I have had an Arizona Concealed Carry of Weapons (CCW) permit since August 2006.

I would like to thank you for your principled leadership and concern for the citizens of Arizona and for your conservative values and positions.

I would also like to encourage you with regard to two bills currently in the Arizona Senate. SB 1113 (short title: handguns; restaurants; posting) would place Arizona restaurants that serve alcohol under the same status as any other business in the state of Arizona with regards to the carry of firearms. The current legislation creates dangerous situations by making law-abiding Arizonans leave their firearms in their car when they eat at any restaurant that serves alcohol. Not only does this increase the risk of their firearm being stolen, it gives dangerous criminals a “safe zone” where they know no law-abiding citizen will be armed. Especially because the bill provides that no one carrying a firearm in a restaurant may consume any alcohol, this bill is a common-sense adjustment that puts restaurants on par with other Arizona businesses. I urge you to work to pass this bill and get it on the desk of Governor Brewer to make the laws of Arizona more common-sense.

The second bill of importance to me is SB 1243 (justification; defensive display of firearm). This allows someone with a concealed firearm to display that firearm if they feel that they are in danger of violence as a deterrent to physical violence against their person. This bill does not allow for the brandishing of a firearm; nor does it allow for the display of a firearm with the intent to escalate a conflict or intentionally provoke another person into the unlawful use of physical or deadly force. I believe that this bill allows law-abiding Arizonans to proactively defend themselves against harm and removes an unnecessary burden on the lawful use of firearms in self-defense. I again urge you to work to pass this bill and bring it to Governor Brewer.

Thank you so much for your time and attention. I know that you work hard on behalf of my family for little pay or recognition, and I would like you to know that we appreciate your service to our state. If you had time in your busy schedule I would love to discuss with you any measures that might help these bills pass, whether that discussion is over email, on the phone, or in person.

Very Respectfully,

John Correia

You can email your state representatives (their email address is listed on the roster page; its their first initial last name @ azleg.gov). Like I said, I got an email back from Rep. Quelland in about 10 minutes. Take a minute out of your day and email your elected representatives! Let them know politely and respectfully that you would like them to work on this legislation.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Nicely written and thanks for the heads up. I just emailed my senator.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I will write ASAP, thanks!
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Cool

Thanks.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Sponsored Links