MD shall-issue bill

This is a discussion on MD shall-issue bill within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; BILL INFO-2009 Regular Session-HB 470 Seems like this one has legs. 43 sponsors and a hearing on the 24th. I hope all you MD people ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MD shall-issue bill

MD shall-issue bill

BILL INFO-2009 Regular Session-HB 470

Seems like this one has legs.
    43 sponsors and a hearing on the 24th. I hope all you MD people contact your legislators so me and others don't have to unload before getting to the PA line......
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    That would be great to get yet another State to join the majority who are now Shall Issue. Best of luck to Md residents especially.

Is the Governor on board, or is there a veto risk?
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    I hope this has legs then I only have to deal with NJ.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

We can only Hope. Born and raised in Maryland and still have family there.

Good luck to those of you in MD. - I hope it passes.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

I wouldn't hold my breath. Lots of co-sponsors but I don't think any of them are on the Judiciary Committee. I would be surpised if it ever makes it out of committee.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    That would be great to get yet another State to join the majority who are now Shall Issue. Best of luck to Md residents especially.

Is the Governor on board, or is there a veto risk?
    Sadly the chance of it getting to a vote is snowball/hell. And if it passed the Governor will most likely veto. Having said that, please prove me wrong!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    For those outside the state of MD, you are getting excited way to soon. Even if the bill does pass, and the governor signs it, it doesn't mean you will be able to carry there. Unless a reciprocity agreement is signed it will be just like CA and NY. Visitors form out of state will not be able to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by fireman836 View Post
    We can only Hope. Born and raised in Maryland and still have family there.
    Same here. I haven't been back in years. If MD'ers want to see me, they have to cross the DMZ into VA. I won't willingly step foot in PRMD anymore until they recognize folks most basic right to defend themselves.

Good luck guys.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    For those outside the state of MD, you are getting excited way to soon. Even if the bill does pass, and the governor signs it, it doesn't mean you will be able to carry there. Unless a reciprocity agreement is signed it will be just like CA and NY. Visitors form out of state will not be able to carry.
    Although they will not issue at this point the current MD law provides for issue to not residents, hopefully that will stay the same.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

MD shall-issue bill

Were only you as lucky as Virginians to have someone like the Virginia Civil Defense League. Those people know how to organize and advocate for gun-rights! Much is owe to Philip Van Cleve. You guys should contact him for advice: http://www.vcdl.org/

I can only hope

I hope this passes as I will be moving to Baltimore in a few months. I know, I know MD has terrible gun laws. But, to be honest I'm excited to just be able to purchase a handgun.

I'm coming from NY were you must apply for a permit to purchase which can take 6 months and will be denied in some counties. For me it will be a step up. If this law passes it will be a bigger step up.

Sand86....
    What is in Baltimore that is so special? A criminal mayor, horrific crime rate, terrible police force.....move to VA and exercise your God-given right to purchase, own, and carry without involving the State (except for concealed carry). What more can you ask for? I worked about 20 miles south of Baltimore for 3 years, yet lived in VA (90 mile commute--each way)...I loved crossing the river in D.C. back into VA where I felt like a citizen, not a subject.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Sand86 View Post
    I hope this passes as I will be moving to Baltimore in a few months. I know, I know MD has terrible gun laws. But, to be honest I'm excited to just be able to purchase a handgun.

I'm coming from NY were you must apply for a permit to purchase which can take 6 months and will be denied in some counties. For me it will be a step up. If this law passes it will be a bigger step up.
    Everything is relative. I lived in Maryland for 20 years. Just moved to Florida last March. It was in Maryland where I first became interested in the issue of concealed carry. Yes I could own a firearm but could not carry legally.

Now that I live in Florida, I understand how Sand feels and what it means to have some level of freedom and choice in being able to legally defend myself.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Well, it may not benefit those of us who don't live there (I've only spent one weekend there my entire life). But it would hardly be like NY or CA (it's like them now, may issue). For the millions of residents, it means the difference between a right honored or a right denied. for them, it would be a huge thing.

Won't likely affect me directly. I have no plans to visit there any time soon (then again one never knows). I'm covered in 36 States currently. Wouldn't mind adding more, but more important in my mind is freeing those that live there.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links