Illinois Ill Will

Illinois Ill Will

This is a discussion on Illinois Ill Will within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; llinois Bill Forces Firearm Owners to Get $1 Million Insurance Policy Legislation Increases Costs to Law Abiding Residents 2/11/09 A new Illinois bill represents another ...

llinois Bill Forces Firearm Owners to Get $1 Million Insurance Policy

Legislation Increases Costs to Law Abiding Residents
    2/11/09

A new Illinois bill represents another assault on the rights of law-abiding firearm owners in the state by forcing them to maintain a $1 million liability insurance policy or risk losing the right to own a firearm.

Most individuals in Illinois, with some exceptions, must obtain a “Firearm Owner’s Identification Card” to legally own a firearm. House Bill 687, sponsored by Representative Kenneth Dunkin (D- Chicago), would force all of those individuals to obtain a $1 million liability insurance policy. This policy would cover any damages that take place from the use of a firearm owned by the individual.

The bill also authorizes the Department of the State Police to revoke and seize the identification card from any firearm owner that does not supply proof of the liability coverage to the Department.

Finally, not only will HB 687 increase the cost of lawfully purchasing a firearm, language in the bill puts owners at risk of liability should their firearm be lost or stolen. The bill states that a person shall be considered an owner until they report any stolen or lost firearms to their local police or sheriff’s department. This means that an owner could be held liable if a firearm is stolen or lost and used prior to their knowledge.

“This is terrible legislation that will harm Illinois’ sportsmen community. Not only will the bill make it cost prohibitive for many to own firearms, it also runs the risk of criminalizing innocent owners,” stated U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance senior vice president, Rick Story.

House Sponsors
    Rep. Kenneth Dunkin

Last Action
    Date Chamber Action
    2/6/2009 House Referred to Rules Committee

Statutes Amended In Order of Appearance
    430 ILCS 65/4.5 new
    430 ILCS 65/8 from Ch. 38, par. 83-8

Synopsis As Introduced
    Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Provides that any person who owns a firearm in this State shall maintain a policy of liability insurance in the amount of at least $1,000,000 specifically covering any damages resulting from negligent or willful acts involving the use of such firearm while it is owned by such person. Provides that a person shall be deemed the owner of a firearm after the firearm is lost or stolen until such loss or theft is reported to the police department or sheriff of the jurisdiction in which the owner resides. Provides that the Department of State Police shall revoke and seize a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued under this Act if the Department finds that the person to whom such card was issued possesses or acquires a firearm and does not submit evidence to the Department of State Police that he or she has been issued in his or her name a liability insurance policy in the amount of at least $1,000,000 specifically covering any damages resulting from negligent or willful acts involving the use of such firearm while it is owned by such person. Effective January 1, 2010.

Actions
    Date Chamber Action
    2/5/2009 House Filed with the Clerk by Rep. Kenneth Dunkin
    2/6/2009 House First Reading
    2/6/2009 House Referred to Rules Committee

All I can say after reading the law is WOW. Not only is the bill unpalatable to me, so is the current law in Illinois.

And here it is:
    Illinois General Assembly - Full Text of HB0687

Read at your own risk. May cause high blood pressure, ulcers, internal bleeding, and in rare cases the State of Illinois has been known to cause blackouts, diarrhea, blindness and loss of mental acuity.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I don't know how anyone can live in that state - pathetic really.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    ...but I can sure see other state lawmakers jumping on that bandwagon (and Congress/cabinet) as insurers love anything that makes money for them and would definitely sing that tune.

Rick

Senior Moderator
    Is it just me or does it seem like the Mobsters have total control of Illinois?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    The Mob has owned the state of Illinois since well before the 1920's. I don't think they will ever give up control of it.

That is apalling

I would hope that it does not pass and if it does that somebody takes that case to the supreme court. How is this bill any different then charging a poll tax? It trying to take guns out of citizens hands by increasing the required amounts of funds needed to maintain a weapon. And imagine its all for safety

As a side note to all reading this thread a decent liability policy with a good amount of coverage is not a bad idea. Always be sure to check on price caps for certain areas as well my homeowners policy only covered guns lost to 2500 total, needless to say we changed that

I maintain that policy voluntarily though not because I have to or loose my guns.

jfl
    Disgusting !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

That's absolutely ridiculous.

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    I don't know how anyone can live in that state - pathetic really.
    +1. Even though I have relatives there and I'm a Cubs fan there is no way I would live there.

And the million criminals in Illinois ... they've got to cough up with a $1M insurance policy for each of their firearms, too, yes?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Insurance to keep a right? Yeah...NO!

Everything north of I-39 needs to become a separate state called "Chicago"...everything else can be called Illinois. Keep the wingbats and dingbats north of I-39 with their gun control policies while the rest of the state can have a shall-issue CCW law and join their neighbors to the East (IN) and West (MO).

I hate IL gun laws...they still allow criminals to have guns, but punish the law-abiding.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Amazing, the stupidity of politics. Lets see now. Cars kill and injure how many more people than guns? How would the general population of the area react if they had to carry the million $ liability coverage on their cars?
    oldogy

And to think that citizens of this country elected these people, my house has been hit by 23 golf balls from dangerous and reckless criminal golfers that roam the grassy field across the street...I think the state and federal government should either outlaw golf balls, serialize all golf balls, or impose a high tax on the sale of all golf balls to where only registered owners, that carry a $1 million liability insurance policy could own them!
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Links