Who Should Protect Our Rights...Federal or State Government

This is a discussion on Who Should Protect Our Rights...Federal or State Government within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been reviewing many post on other threads and it seems opinions vary. So I am curious to see overall if we as a ...

View Poll Results: Who Should Protect/Guarantee our 2A rights?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Federal Government

88 68.22%
  • State Government

41 31.78%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

I have been reviewing many post on other threads and it seems opinions vary. So I am curious to see overall if we as a group think the Federal Government or State Government should be the leader in protecting our 2A rights as guaranteed by BOR.
    Men look out for themselves; real men look out for others!

VIP Member
    I think Federal law trumps state law ( maybe I'm wrong ) so I would say Federal law. If the feds say no more handguns, can a state NOT follow the rules?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I think Federal law trumps state law ( maybe I'm wrong ) so I would say Federal law. If the feds say no more handguns, can a state NOT follow the rules?
    Ask California with regards to marijuana, Federal laws say no and California says yes, so they don't enforce the Federal laws.

I voted Federal, but wanted to vote both. I feel it's both their jobs to protect our rights.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; February 15th, 2009 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I voted Federal. State law only controls what happens in that particular states borders. NY/CA/NJ/IL can outlaw whatever they want in the way of so called assault weapons and it does not have any affect here in VA. But if the Federal government bans them that does affect all states.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    It is a flawed survey; the documents outline our protections. It is our duty as Americans to elect officials who are honest statesmen to ensure that we retain the rights as outlined. These people are elected to both State and Federal offices. My answer: it is our collective respnsibility as voters.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    It is a flawed survey; the documents outline our protections. It is our duty as Americans to elect officials who are honest statesmen to ensure that we retain the rights as outlined. These people are elected to both State and Federal offices. My answer: it is our collective respnsibility as voters.
    You are somewhat correct. It really comes down to an understanding as to whether you want a federal conceal carry law or leave it up the states. IN the end, our responsibilty can only carry us so far. I have writing over 200 letters and emails in the last month, and can do little to influence the elected officials of Virginia. Look at our law regarding concealed carry in restuarants that serve alcohol.
    Men look out for themselves; real men look out for others!

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by concealed View Post
    You are somewhat correct. It really comes down to an understanding as to whether you want a federal conceal carry law or leave it up the states. IN the end, our responsibilty can only carry us so far. I have writing over 200 letters and emails in the last month, and can do little to influence the elected officials of Virginia. Look at our law regarding concealed carry in restuarants that serve alcohol.
    I was writing letters to get Shall Issue passed here, they burdened the bill with so much crap I was glad it did not pass. The Bill would have only hurt me as I already have my CCW. Our letter writting is proof that we, as a nation, are doing a crap job of electing people to office. Most of the herd we elect are not statesmen they are career politicians; their only goal is reelection not truly serving the public trust. I suppose, the protection of our Rights should be protected by all levels of government and by design they should check and balance each other just as the three Federal branches are designed to check and balance. Thanks for the thought provoking discussion.

Regards,
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Neither should lead at the expense of the other following, in that sense. I'd prefer that honorable elected representatives in all areas fight tooth and nail. The good fight can be fought in both places. Now, if anything, the states are showing the leadership role. The past 20yrs has seen a remarkable increase the ability of upstanding citizens to arm themselves. IMO, that's mostly to the push in key states, not due to some guiding, shining beacon sitting on Capitol Hill.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I said the Feds and my only reasoning is to keep the States from defining their own interpretations making it difficult to follow from state to state and having consistancy in the CCW laws and rights to protection. I also didn't want to say the Feds to keep them from repressing rights of every state with the stroke of a pen. To be honest, the only thing I'd like to see from the Feds is a National Right to carry. Reciprocity for all!
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

The responsibility begins with the feds, so I voted feds. The Constitution of the United States of America is a federal document. I agree with others that it is everyone's responsibility to ensure our rights are safeguarded.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    +1

I would also add that it is a flawed survey because the answer is both. We are citizens of two distinct entities. We are citizens of the United States and the Consitution provides protection of our rights against Federal action. We are also, and equally, citizens of a state. And the state constitution provides protection of our rights against state infringement.

Both governments are sovereign and they only tie together in the specific clauses of the Constitution that address the states issue.

BAC
    That is a fantastic answer.

I was gonna comment about there not being a "Both" option, but others have already done that as well.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Federal if they are not anti gun. I think all states should be the same.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    I think all states should be the same.
    "United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands..."

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Our elected officials are sworn to "uphold and defend" the Constitution. They conveniently forget that these days. They should be held accountable for their negligence.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links