State Dept Floating Ban on Imported Ammo?

This is a discussion on State Dept Floating Ban on Imported Ammo? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; from Virginia Sport Shooting Assoc. It looks like those who said the Obama Administration would strike while the iron is hot may have been correct, ...

Thread: State Dept Floating Ban on Imported Ammo?

from Virginia Sport Shooting Assoc.

It looks like those who said the Obama Administration would strike while the iron is hot may have been correct, and the Administration may be doing it in a way that does not require them to even get a vote in Congress. In this morning's edition of the Shooting Wire, Jim Shepherd writes that Canadian officials have it on "good authority" our State Department may be on the verge of cutting off all imports of certain calibers of ammunition.

Ammos listed for this rumored ban include the .50BMG, 7.62x39mm Soviet, 7.62x51mm NATO, .308 Winchester, 5.56 NATO and .223 Remington. Additionally, we're hearing that an expansion of this proposed ban might be broadened to include the 6.8mm SPC, 9mm Parabellum, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP- among others.

In other words, State Department officials may be floating a trial balloon to see if there are howls of protest, or whimpers of compliance. Canadian elected officials who have directed this information to me say the move seems to be motivated by "emboldened" anti-gun officials who think they have a kindred spirit in President Obama.

Shepherd continues that there may also be a plan to ban exports on certain firearms to Canada from the US, resulting in the State Department hammering gun manufacturers, distributors and exporters in the United States while simultaneously making firearms -and ammunition - ownership and acquisition more difficult for Canadians.

Many in the pro-rights community have said since the election that Obama could circumvent Congress by using regulations in his various cabinet departments to attack gun owners. It appears that it may have already begun.

Lovely! I buy an sks and two weeks later they ban 7.62x39mm. I am interested to hear the "logic" behind such a decision. Is it that imported ammo is "inferior"? It all goes bang. Soviet lead flies just like American lead, and a heck of a lot cheaper too.

I wonder if they can't sue foreign ammo manufacturers so they will ban imported ammo. This way the anti's can start filing lawsuits against the ammo manufacturers for producing scary ammo that actually kills the bad guy.

Who would we even contact to get something like this repealed?
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

BAC
    "Show me." If it can't be shown, it's simply conjecture.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    "Show me." If it can't be shown, it's simply conjecture.

-B

+1 I am not going to let this get to me until I see an official decision or notice in writing.

VIP Member
    In this morning's edition of the Shooting Wire, Jim Shepherd writes that Canadian officials have it on "good authority" our State Department may be on the verge of cutting off all imports of certain calibers of ammunition.
    I have it "good authority" that on March 1, 2009 Big Foot will reveal himself.

Well it must be true then, after all it came from a "good authority". I'll believe it when I see it.

Well I always said they will let you have your guns but they will control the ammunition,a gun without ammo is ...well it's just a high dollar club
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Actually this will work to our advantage; I remember when Clinton was elected, everybody had their doubts about him, but many hunters said, Oh, as long as I can get mine I don't care what he does. Then Clinton made the Brady bill law, and signed AWB1 and that suddenly got everybodys attention.

The result was the gun owners came out in force during the midterm elections and tossed out a whole buch of congressmen, and Clinton was on the defensive for the rest of his career.

So I see a positive here. It will remove any doubts anyone had and get all of the fence riders motivated.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    I hope erd9x23super is right, if we find out this is real we will need to stand together as one to fight it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

And the state department got the authority to regulate commerce when?

Would this also apply to all the imported small cal ammo the gov buys for the military or just us serfs?
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Okay guys, this may sound cynical but I'm convinced that if you look at how things are in Europe right now, and in particular the European Union, that's how it will in fact become in the US.

Not to get political but the stimulus bill that's about to be signed guarauntees that Government will control more of our lives and Government is going to make having weapons just like it is in Europe. It's expensive to the degree only the wealthy can really afford to acquire and shoot and the types of weapons are very very controled.

I don't think there's a chance that we're going to turn back the tide. The West and East coast's are breeding grounds for liberals and Academia in America is just about completely anti gun. The NRA which has been powerful has shown signs of capitulation in order to keep their power making them a lot like politicians in Washington. In other words, we're almost the minority and in a few more years we certainly will be.

I intend on enjoying my guns while i can but I predict in 20 years or less we won't even recognize the new restrictions on guns and ammo because it'll be so drastically different.

I'll do what I can so that I have the right to complain but I honestly believe all we may do is slow down the inevitable.

The fact that Americans could elect the current Government is the only proof I need to offer to support my position.

One of the "Take Aways" from Clinton's first term resulted from Hillary's health care fiasco. The Dems learned that if they told the truth (single payor health system) they couldn't gain traction, in fact, Americans rebeled.

Fast forward to present.........Do you really think they will honestly state their goals on 2A? No!

They have yet to be intellectually honest about.......let's see...SCHIP, the "Stimulus" Bill.........It's all being cleverly package to "appeal"........."It's for the Children", "It'll create jobs".........

They will not publicly state "We're going to take guns away".........they will package it, hide it, obscure it, tease it into play incrementally, EO it, regulate it, but we will never be told the truth and the ultimate goal, which is control.

Always assume the 2A is under attack from all fronts, as are most of our rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    One of the "Take Aways" from Clinton's first term resulted from Hillary's health care fiasco. The Dems learned that if they told the truth (single payor health system) they couldn't gain traction, in fact, Americans rebeled.

Fast forward to present.........Do you really think they will honestly state their goals on 2A? No!

They have yet to be intellectually honest about.......let's see...SCHIP, the "Stimulus" Bill.........It's all being cleverly package to "appeal"........."It's for the Children", "It'll create jobs".........

They will not publicly state "We're going to take guns away".........they will package it, hide it, obscure it, tease it into play incrementally, EO it, regulate it, but we will never be told the truth and the ultimate goal, which is control.

Always assume the 2A is under attack from all fronts, as are most of our rights.
    Beautifully said...

Round here foilks think Im crazy because I listen to guys like Glenn Beck but Im here to tell ya. The sky really is falling. Revolution is coming.

Dont think so? We'll talk later.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Links