Obama defends NPS carry ???

This is a discussion on Obama defends NPS carry ??? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am not sure about this; saw it on FoxNews.com. There must be a catch ... http://www.foxnews.com/politics/firs...ational-parks/ http://www.foxnews.com/politics/firs...ational-parks/ The Obama administration is going to bat ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I am not sure about this; saw it on FoxNews.com.
    There must be a catch ...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/firs...ational-parks/http://www.foxnews.com/politics/firs...ational-parks/

The Obama administration is going to bat for former President Bush by defending his last-minute rule allowing loaded guns in national parks.

The Washington Post reported Tuesday that while the Interior Department is internally reviewing whether the measure passes environmental muster, the Justice Department sought to block a preliminary injunction of the controversial rule in response to a lawsuit filed Friday by gun-control and environmental groups.

The regulation took effect Jan. 9 and allows visitors to bring concealed, loaded guns into national parks and wildlife refuges. For more than 20 years, they were allowed in such areas only if they were unloaded or stored and dismantled.

The three groups fighting to overturn the rule are the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the National Parks Conservation Association and the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees. They contend that the Bush administration violated several laws in issuing the rule, such as failing to conduct a sufficient environmental review under the National Environmental Policy Act. They also claim that the new policy could discourage some visitors from visiting national landmarks.

But the Justice Department said in its reply that the new rule "does not alter the environmental status quo, and will not have any significant impacts on public health and safety."

Interior Secretary Ken Salazar has requested an internal assessment of whether the measure has any environmental impacts the government needs to take into account, an Interior spokesman told the newspaper
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

(In best Redd Foxx voice)

"My heart...oh, my heart!

I think it's the big one.
    Martha, I'm coming home!"

Okay, let me think, the poles have changed their polarity?
    The earth has reversed the direction in which it spins?
    April Fools' Day? No, it's still February.

I give up. What's the joke?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Just read this on the Washington Post website and I about fell out of my chair!

I was just coming here to post a new thread but you guys beat me to it.

I too wonder what the catch is?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Maybe with the "Obama scare" increasing gun ownership, CCW permits, etc, the Obama administration is realizing that we are a force in numbers, and won't be winning our votes by ******* us off...

...hahaha! unlikely...but who knows?
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Probably realise they don't have an overwhelming chance at overturning it. When you can't beat 'em, join 'em. This allows the administration to say, "see, we are pro gun rights and ONLY seek REASONALBLE gun restrictions." (when they come up with the next attack on gun rights). They will be able to point at the National Parks carry law as one they supported.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I hope no one believes this crap. Why would he care what you carry if there is nothing to shoot from the gun?

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...rted-ammo.html
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

VIP Member
    No Way! Someone pinch me. Has anyon efound the catch yet?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    Probably realise they don't have an overwhelming chance at overturning it. When you can't beat 'em, join 'em. This allows the administration to say, "see, we are pro gun rights and ONLY seek REASONALBLE gun restrictions." (when they come up with the next attack on gun rights). They will be able to point at the National Parks carry law as one they supported.
    +1. I still look at a wolf in any clothing as a wolf, until he finds a way to PROVE he is otherwise. This doesn't PROVE it, in my opinion. (I'm not sure what ever would though...)
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    "Save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword" - Gen. R. E. Lee

Administrator
    I dunno, he flip flops more than any politician I can remember. ( although I'm happy about this flip)
    I expect tomorrow we'll wake up to find that Obama is really a white guy in his 60's.
    "Just blame Sixto"

He's looking at the bigger picture.

Why should he care that CCW in National Parks is allowed when he knows that in the near future there will be no such thing as CCW and/or nothing (legal) to carry anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I dunno, he flip flops more than any politician I can remember. ( although I'm happy about this flip)
    I expect tomorrow we'll wake up to find that Obama is really a white guy in his 60's.
    Half white at least.
    Hey wait a minute ... I'm a white guy in my 60's!

This is either a hoax from the White House or there is something behind this decision. His records flies int he face of all who take responsibility for their own safety, I'll sit back and watch this one unfold. I think there is more to this that will come up later.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

There are tactical things in this to consider.

First, Obama could be doing the right thing and following the Constitution and recent Heller decision. He is knowledgeable in this area after all. The fact that he doesn't personally agree doesn't mean that he won't do his job as he swore he would.

Secondly, tactically speaking, the fact that the justice dept is attempting to block the suit could mean a couple of things.

One is that they genuinely are trying to get rid of meritless litigation.

The second is that they are assisting that litigation by advancing theories which help overcome certain hurdles that could block the suits from being successful. Something akin to reverse psychology.

What the truth is, we don't know. Everything else about Obama and "he's going to take your guns" is pure speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    ...Obama could be doing the right thing and following the Constitution and recent Heller decision...fact that he doesn't personally agree doesn't mean that he won't do his job as he swore he would....Everything else about Obama and "he's going to take your guns" is pure speculation.
    +1

Real simple, they can't win the fight, not a big issue they care about, they don't lose many votes by supporting, and they gain a few votes (from pockets they can't always gain support from). What are all the anti-gun types going to do, not vote for Obama in 4 years because the republicans will be more anti-gun?

In four more years he may deside to be more anti-gun as a legacy issue (or because he will have gained more anti-gun support to pass bills). Only other even that will alter the current status-quo is public unrest (anarchy / martial law) or a high visibility shooting martyr to the cause.

I always find this conversation to be a no brainer for the democrats. They get to be anti-something, but never really need to be proactive, because what are the anti-gun people going to do, vote republican. There are several hot topic issues on both sides like this. Now ban on "assault weapons" or treating gun-owners in major cities like criminals, that will be something Obama and friends will support.

I believe under Obama, CCW will gain support. How about that. Now that you are looking at the right hand, the left will limit firearm and ammo variety. Create a detailed list of what you own and increase liability for that collection.

I think people have forgotten the real goal of the anti-gun hype types (who the democrats can always count on for a vote) --VS-- the intellectual social elitists. The elitists are pro-gun (and want to carry their CC into the park, and enjoy hunting), as long as you limit the availability to the unenlightened / less worthy.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

During the election...

I went to his web site to see his views on hunting, since I really like hunting and so forth. This was before he was elected, and what I read was pretty encouraging. I know it was probably just sweet talk and not his own words but they did some major but kissing to the "guns our a part of our heritage" crowd. He confessed to not knowing about guns personally but that he understood thier importance to our culture.

I took a tablespoon or two of salt with it when I read that.

We really are in a wait and see mode as far as the new administration is concerned. May God have mercy on us all!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links