Dade Commissioners Call For An Assault Weapon Ban

This is a discussion on Dade Commissioners Call For An Assault Weapon Ban within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Dade Commissioners Call For An Assault Weapon Ban Commissioners Pass Resolution Urging The Feds To Tighten Gun Control Laws MIAMI (CBS4) ― The Dade County ...

Thread: Dade Commissioners Call For An Assault Weapon Ban

VIP Member

Thumbs down Dade Commissioners Call For An Assault Weapon Ban

Commissioners Pass Resolution Urging The Feds To Tighten Gun Control Laws
    MIAMI (CBS4) ―

The Dade County Commission asked Congress to stiften gun control, reinstate an assault weapon ban against those weapons used in Liberty City in January which killed two boys.

Miami-Dade commissioners on Tuesday passed a resolution asking the federal government to reinstate a ban on assault weapons and tighten gun control laws.

They did this less than one month since Brandon Mills, 16, and Derrick Gloster, 18, were killed when someone fired an AK-47 into a crowd on a Liberty City corner on January 23rd.

Miami Police Chief John Timoney said after the fatal shooting that the percentage of homicides involving assault weapons jumped to 29 percent of all shooting fatalities in 2008. Timoney implored Congress to reinstate the ban.

Henry Demoya has his sights set on one of several assault rifles on the rack at Miami Police Supply. "Just to have it in case they do ban it," he told CBS4 Reporter Michael Williams. "I want to have one."

A majority of Miami-Dade Commissioners want that assault rifle ban. "Our law enforcement officers don't have the armory these young people on the street have," Commissioner Barbara Jordan said. "We have to get control and get these guns off the street."

Tuesday, she spearheaded the passage of the resolution banning assault rifles. The resolution urges congress to pass laws requiring all gun sales to be registered with police agencies within 14 days of purchase.

"I very much support the right to bear arms, but I can tell you our founding fathers did not have AK-47s in mind when they wrote the Constitution." Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Alvarez also supports the ban. "I responded to the shooting where four of our officers were shot, one killed, by a man with not one but two AKak-47s he went and bought with a fake id." He was referring to the death of Miami-Dade officer Jose Somohano, who died in a traffic stop in 2007, overwhelmed by firepower.

Five days after Mills and Gloster were murdered, Commissioners Dorrin Rollee and Audrey Edmonson went door to door and handed out prepaid postage cards to Liberty City residents so they could mail in tips about the shooting, or any other criminal activity, anonymously.

A reward of up to $50,000 is being offered to find a gunman or gunmen involved in the killings.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

BAC
    This noise again. They're becoming our own Detroit, if a bit more multicultural.

I'm so glad that the rest of my state has enough sense to tell them to piss off.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Has anybody ever asked Timony just what he considers an 'assault weapon'?

I find it unbelievable that 29% of the shooting homicides were committed with assault weapons.

Also, I can't remember ever hearing of any gun busts from the Miami area. Is LE in the area doing anything to find these guns or do they just wait for another shooting so they can press their anti-gun agenda?

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    Also, I can't remember ever hearing of any gun busts from the Miami area. Is LE in the area doing anything to find these guns or do they just wait for another shooting so they can press their anti-gun agenda?

+1. They need to get of their arse and do something to get the BGs off the street. It's pretty stupid reasoning to think that banning assault rifles will keep them out of the BG's hands.

VIP Member
    Has anybody ever asked Timony just what he considers an 'assault weapon'?

I find it unbelievable that 29% of the shooting homicides were committed with assault weapons.
    Because he did not say that. he said:
    Miami Police Chief John Timoney said after the fatal shooting that the percentage of homicides involving assault weapons jumped to 29 percent of all shooting fatalities in 2008.
    But he wants precisley for everybody to think that overall 29% of the Murders in Maimi Dade are commited by EBRs

Timoney does not care one way or another. The rank and File LEO hates him and IIRC gave him a vote of no-confidence. MDPD is demoralized because of this idiot. He is more interested in CIS:Miami and driving free SUVs than what happens on the streets.

Interesting fact: When Timoney took over MDPD, crime in Miami Dade (including murders) went up. He likes to blame the EBRs but it bears to mention that the AWB sunset 21 months after he became chief LEO of Miami. Go figure!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    The rank and File LEO hates him and IIRC gave him a vote of no-confidence. MDPD is demoralized because of this idiot. He is more interested in CIS:Miami and driving free SUVs than what happens on the streets.
    I can't think of any cop I might know in Miami-Dade who disagrees with you...

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

I wish I could send these people to Afganistan with an AR-15, SKS, Ruger Mini-14 or US legal AK-47 and then get to ask those still alive if that was an assault rifle. I would bet their new definition included words like 'full auto' or 'burst'.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    "I very much support the right to bear arms, but I can tell you our founding fathers did not have AK-47s in mind when they wrote the Constitution." Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Alvarez also supports the ban. "I responded to the shooting where four of our officers were shot, one killed, by a man with not one but two AKak-47s he went and bought with a fake id." He was referring to the death of Miami-Dade officer Jose Somohano, who died in a traffic stop in 2007, overwhelmed by firepower.
    My response to the Mayor's comments would be the following question....

Mr Mayor, If what you say is true and I have no reason to believe it is not, then how would Miami-Dades proposed AWB and or even the latest house bill H.R 45 going to stop someone with fake id's from legally obtaining and registering the guns to the fake person, fake address and fake social security number from said person and how would this bill help get the guns previously purchased in such a manner off the streets?

What say you Mr. Mayor? I'm waiting for your answer sir..... Can't answer it? I didn't think so...... Nice try....
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; February 18th, 2009 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.

Senior Moderator
    Part of the 29% claim may have to do with the definition of assault weapon. For the purpose of brainwashing the public, the definition would be loose enough to include, say in spirit, a wide range of guns.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I'm embarrased that these people are even in my state. Get out of here; you may find NYC or LA more home-like, Mr. Mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    I'm embarrased that these people are even in my state. Get out of here; you may find NYC or LA more home-like, Mr. Mayor.
    I couldn't agree more... I would add D.C. and Chicago. Goodbye Mr.Mayor, Goodbye

VIP Member
    A majority of Miami-Dade Commissioners want that assault rifle ban. "Our law enforcement officers don't have the armory these young people on the street have," Commissioner Barbara Jordan said. "We have to get control and get these guns off the street."
    Here's a solution......quit wasting money and time with gun control crap and use that money to equip officers with the appropriate armory and more training to take these CRIMINALS off the street

"I very much support the right to bear arms
    REALLY?!?!?!? I couldn't tell

......., but I can tell you our founding fathers did not have AK-47s in mind when they wrote the Constitution."
    oh, now you clarified the first part of the sentence;
    I disagree....whatever weapons are available to defend ourselves is what the founding fathers had in mind
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

So how is any new law going to change anything? Murder and robbery are already illegal, but those laws don't seem to mean much to the scum of our world.

A BG is as likely to care about an 'assault' weapons ban as a bank robber is likely to put money in the parking meter while waiting in the get-away car.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Go to their meeting and flood it with pro gun people just like did here in Calhoun co Michigan, that will give them pause for thought....

They need to be reminded that they are not a law governing body but a budgetary one....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Part of the 29% claim may have to do with the definition of assault weapon. For the purpose of brainwashing the public, the definition would be loose enough to include, say in spirit, a wide range of guns.

A lot of the anti-groups and people like Bobby Rush of Chicago who recently filed his his anti-gun bill in the House seem to be narrowing down their definition to "any magazine fed weapon". Narrowing it even further for rifles and shotguns, they are including terms like "with a pistol grip".

We have indeed raised a lot of sheep in this country.....

Links