Illinois HB0687, $1,000,000 Insurance - Page 2

Illinois HB0687, $1,000,000 Insurance

This is a discussion on Illinois HB0687, $1,000,000 Insurance within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Vote 'em the hell out of office....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Vote 'em the hell out of office.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

How are they doing that when they are doing this, what the heck is going on?

The Official KFVS12 and Heartland News Web Site | Conceal carry legislation one step closer to becoming law
    Springfield, IL
    Conceal carry legislation one step closer to becoming law

Posted: Feb 19, 2009 01:54 PM

Updated: Feb 19, 2009 01:54 PM
    Heartland News more>>

By Heartland News

SPRINGFIELD, IL (KFVS) - Illinois State Representative John Bradley's conceal carry legislation becomes one step closer to becoming a law.

On Wednesday, a committee approved the bill but it still has some big steps to take.

Illinois is one of only two states that does not allow some form of carrying a concealed firearm.

Bradley's bill, dubbed the Family and Personal Protection Act, sets forth a strict series of qualifications for concealed carry permits, requiring training and restricting unfit applicants, primarily criminals and mental patients.

In addition, House Bill 245 would not allow concealed firearms inside police stations, prisons, government offices, courthouses, bars, airports, schools, riverboats, amusement parks, arenas, stadiums and churches.

To voice your support or to ask questions, call (618)-997-969

I'm not so sure it will be easy to find a company to issue this insurance. There are companies who will issue to companies (manufacturers, ranges, etc) but to an individual who just carries?
    Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? -- Patrick Henry

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I just talked to my mom (who sells insurance) and she says that her company will only issue an umbrella policy like this if you own a home that is insured for at least $100,000 and that you carry a certain amount of liability on your auto insurance.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

just wow. almost clever, if it weren't $1mil. Hey, let me just think of the first absurd dollar amount that comes to my mind....
    Unfortunately, you get enough voting and all of a sudden a politician has to sponsor stupid stuff like this to please his constituents. Not that I condone politicians being stupid, but there's a bigger problem!!
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    "Save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword" - Gen. R. E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    I just talked to my mom (who sells insurance) and she says that her company will only issue an umbrella policy like this if you own a home that is insured for at least $100,000 and that you carry a certain amount of liability on your auto insurance.
    That is correct. A personal umbrella policy (PUP) will extend above your liability limits on both your auto and home policies. Usually, you have to max out your limits on your home and auto before a PUP will be issued.

However, I don't think this is what this gentleman is talking about.
    Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? -- Patrick Henry

VIP Member

Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    Yes. Or, probably they would issue if you also have renter's insurance.

Umbrella coverage on top of either is relatively inexpensive. I have mine with the same company that insures my home and cars, and adding 2 million in umbrella coverage is less than 300 a year. And well worth it if you ever have a serious auto wreck that you caused.

I won't comment on the motive for the proposed legislation but there is some sense to it. Like it or not, we routinely hear about NDs here. If I were the unfortunate individual who caused a ND that hurt someone, I sure would hope that I could appropriately compensate the victim.

I think the real problem with such legislation is not going to be the cost of the insurance, because it should be almost negligible--but whether or not insurance companies will start to put gun exclusions in policies that don't have them. (OTOH, the risk is so low to the insurance company that this one should be a money maker for them.)

Yup, thankfully this was discussed on the Glen Beck show on Fox today. He and an outside council from the NRA both had concluded that statements made by the head of the current administration... that "he" is not out for your guns!!! However it would assume through these type of tactics that we need to be looking in the back door.

If you folk get a chance fire off a email of thanks to the Glen Beck show...it looks like he may be of much help in the future.

First let me state I'm from Illinois and absolutley against this or any BS gun laws.
    For informational puposes only a $1M umbrella policy is not that much if you already have home and car insurance with an agent. Again, I'm not justifying it, just throwing out a little info. I have this policy, and think it's about $300-350 a year. (I'd gladly pay that for a CCW permit!)

That bill is no different then the pole taxes of old....
    870 !
    NRA Member !

IMHO, but anyone who owns anything at all or has any kind of net worth or a good job needs an umbrella policy. If you do not know why I say this I suggest you find out for your own good.
    oldogy

Quote Originally Posted by micky mouse View Post
    First let me state I'm from Illinois and absolutley against this or any BS gun laws.
    For informational puposes only a $1M umbrella policy is not that much if you already have home and car insurance with an agent. Again, I'm not justifying it, just throwing out a little info. I have this policy, and think it's about $300-350 a year. (I'd gladly pay that for a CCW permit!)
    $300 -$350 is a method for the state to inhibit gun ownership!!!!!!!???????? Trust me, this ain't about your CCW permit.

VIP Member

Cost depends on several factors

Quote Originally Posted by flyflyfun View Post
    $300 -$350 is a method for the state to inhibit gun ownership!!!!!!!???????? Trust me, this ain't about your CCW permit.
    Cost depends on several factors, like where you live, your driving record, credit record, whether or not you have been sued, and so on.

Regardless, as someone else posted-- if you have any sort of net worth, or are likely to ever accumulate a net worth, you need to have an umbrella policy. Two-hundred fifty bucks for 2 million in insurance is a pretty good deal. And for that you cover more than just the guns, but crazy stuff that could happen--like your house burning and starting a fire that takes your neighbor's and their neighbor's. Or, your chimp rips your friend's face off.

Quote Originally Posted by micky mouse View Post
    I'm Not Willing To Pay For My 2nd Amendment Rights. Your logic is flawed sir.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

VIP Member
    Some people could not come up with a extra $300 for this. People with Familys and Colledge and all the rest.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links