NYS Pistol License Suspension

This is a discussion on NYS Pistol License Suspension within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; fyi, the timetable according to Gura et al is that the decision will be given by the SCt in June or July of 2010. Best ...

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: NYS Pistol License Suspension

njr
    fyi, the timetable according to Gura et al is that the decision will be given by the SCt in June or July of 2010. Best of luck.

chicagoguncase.com
    By the forests, behind the guns/In the streets and in the houses/Between the tanks, by the roadside/At the hands of the men, of the women, of the children/In the cold, in the dark, in hunger....

Bertolt Brecht, "To The German Soldiers In The East", stanza 9.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by russ1986 View Post
    IMO this is a violation of the second amendment. the state is taking your gun rights a way for what some one else has done. Contact a lawyer and if it was me i would not give my handguns up.
    Unfortunately our opinion doesn't matter.

The law in NYS has given the licensing authority pretty much total power to deny, suspend or revoke your license. You can hire a lawyer and attempt a court battle but the licensing authority has a bottomless pity of resources to fight any lawsuit that threatens their authority. My pockets are not that deep and I can't justify the expense of initiating a lawsuit to secure the right to carry a firearm to and from the range.

So for now I exercise some patients and see how things go next year.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

And so it begins...

I can't believe I missed this entire thread for so long...

Well, I don't care what you want to call it, or what the State of New York calls it, what it is, is the beginning of a systematic confiscation of not only rights, but of personal property as well.

We are witnessing TYRANNY right under our noses every day this administration moves forward and we try to deny what it is.

Well, the U.S. Constitution is nothing but words written on a piece of parchment. Nothing more. It has absolutely no power, meaning or authority if We The People just sit on the sidelines and watch the show.

The current administration knows we are going to do nothing!

I'm not saying I know what to do! I am certainly not suggesting an armed insurrection! I just see the writing on the wall!

Our politicians are to the point where they are totally non responsive to the will of the people. They flaunt it in our faces and publicly belittle us on the news for a snide sound bite. They are so brazen now that they just come right out and tell us what their plans are! And then the next day try to deny what they just said.

We have our little tea parties and sit in internet forums and wring our hands and stamp our feet and scream of the outrages, but in the end... like every other populous who has been disarmed by a tyrannical government, they know we won't do anything.

As we speak, they are systematically dismantling capitalism. They are dismantling our social structures. They already gained control of the entire educational system, and starting next year, every student loan in the country will be government owned and controlled! They are taking over the banks. They are taking over private corporations and now they are setting the wages of the workers. Congress has already said they are moving on to businesses who did not or do not take any government money next. And they are taking over control of the courts with activist judges daily!

Yep. They know we won't do anything! They know we don't have the stomach for the likes of another civil war. Especially one over political ideology.

The job loss and the economic state we are in is by design. The administration is having an orgy over the chaos, and again it is all by design. They know if everyone loses their jobs and can't find a job, they will have no choice but to go on the government toll.

And it all starts with taking away one members guns for something someone else did, who doesn't even live in the same dwelling.

Good luck... Maybe you'll get your guns and permit back and maybe you won't.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I can't believe I missed this entire thread for so long...

Well, I don't care what you want to call it, or what the State of New York calls it, what it is, is the beginning of a systematic confiscation of not only rights, but of personal property as well.

We are witnessing TYRANNY right under our noses every day this administration moves forward and we try to deny what it is.

Well, the U.S. Constitution is nothing but words written on a piece of parchment. Nothing more. It has absolutely no power, meaning or authority if We The People just sit on the sidelines and watch the show.

The current administration knows we are going to do nothing!

I'm not saying I know what to do! I am certainly not suggesting an armed insurrection! I just see the writing on the wall!

Our politicians are to the point where they are totally non responsive to the will of the people. They flaunt it in our faces and publicly belittle us on the news for a snide sound bite. They are so brazen now that they just come right out and tell us what their plans are! And then the next day try to deny what they just said.

We have our little tea parties and sit in internet forums and wring our hands and stamp our feet and scream of the outrages, but in the end... like every other populous who has been disarmed by a tyrannical government, they know we won't do anything.

As we speak, they are systematically dismantling capitalism. They are dismantling our social structures. They already gained control of the entire educational system, and starting next year, every student loan in the country will be government owned and controlled! They are taking over the banks. They are taking over private corporations and now they are setting the wages of the workers. Congress has already said they are moving on to businesses who did not or do not take any government money next. And they are taking over control of the courts with activist judges daily!

Yep. They know we won't do anything! They know we don't have the stomach for the likes of another civil war. Especially one over political ideology.

The job loss and the economic state we are in is by design. The administration is having an orgy over the chaos, and again it is all by design. They know if everyone loses their jobs and can't find a job, they will have no choice but to go on the government toll.

And it all starts with taking away one members guns for something someone else did, who doesn't even live in the same dwelling.

Good luck... Maybe you'll get your guns and permit back and maybe you won't.
    I don't think I could have said it any better

I hope you get your license back, and everyone will be anxiously awaiting the SCOTUS decision that will surely affect asinine laws such as in this situation
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

It's real easy to talk about "fighting" for "your rights" when:

A) They aren't your rights aren't the issue.
    B) You aren't footing the bill.

Further, anyone who is talking about "fighting for your rights" without expending administrative, judicial & legislative options is talking like a terrorist.

Their is a system in place were recourse against the government is available, and it's worked for the past 200 + years.

Is it expensive? Complex, requiring lawyers to navigate it?

Yes.

But it's better than living in a place were you have no redress against the government at all.

2 edged...good luck with your fight.

Quote Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
    Unfortunately our opinion doesn't matter.

The law in NYS has given the licensing authority pretty much total power to deny, suspend or revoke your license. You can hire a lawyer and attempt a court battle but the licensing authority has a bottomless pity of resources to fight any lawsuit that threatens their authority. My pockets are not that deep and I can't justify the expense of initiating a lawsuit to secure the right to carry a firearm to and from the range.

So for now I exercise some patients and see how things go next year.
    not the fact that they lost there permits i was mainly saying that they had to turn in there hand guns. that is what i was getting at. Yes the permit should be fought how ever the state should not be allowed to take there firearms
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    the way to be safe is never to be secure.
    Benjamin franklin

Bark'n

I really, really appreciate your zeal and I believe there are millions of Americans (including myself) that share that zeal and hear you loud and clear.

There is some hope that a positive decision by the SC decision will help move things forward in states like NY. If that decision goes our way it will open the door to legal challenges to laws that infringe on our 2nd amendment rights, but it's going to be a slow grind to overturn the injustices.

As mentioned my particular situation deals with 2nd amendment and personal property issues. The justification for suspending my license was the "feeling" by the investigator that it wasn't proper for me (law abiding citizen, never arrested, tax paying, veteran, holding a pistol license for 20 years, working for the same company for 25 years, married to the same woman for 35 years, etc., etc.) to have handguns because someone else (my sixteen year old grandson) had "alleged" gang associations. The choices were to "voluntarily" surrender the firearms or have my license revoked and face criminal possession of a weapon charges, not much of a choice.

O.k., I'm done ranting for a few months :). I appreciate the interest and concern on the part of others that value the Constitution and our fundamental, individual right to keep and bear arms. Hopefully I'll have a positive report to post in Feb/March 2010.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    It's real easy to talk about "fighting" for "your rights" when:

A) They aren't your rights aren't the issue.
    B) You aren't footing the bill.

Further, anyone who is talking about "fighting for your rights" without expending administrative, judicial & legislative options is talking like a terrorist.

Their is a system in place were recourse against the government is available, and it's worked for the past 200 + years.

Is it expensive? Complex, requiring lawyers to navigate it?

Yes.

But it's better than living in a place were you have no redress against the government at all.

2 edged...good luck with your fight.
    The problem for many Americans, especially given the current economic situation, is weighing the cost of fighting that battle versus providing for their family. The State has unlimited resources that individuals and even groups like the NRA can't match.

Feelings of powerlessness and frustration lead to the Revolutionary War. The Founder Fathers were terrorist agitators as far as King George was concerned. There is a tipping point at which reasonable men like Washington, Adams, Franklin, Jefferson, etc. believed the only redress was a call to arms. You can and some did argue that they hadn't exhausted all of the legal and political options available to address their concerns but at some point they believed that that course of action was fruitless and that the only recourse was a war.

I don't believe we are in that situation today but never say never.

VIP Member
    Good luck and keep working with the grandson. Lawyering up would work, but as you know would be expensive. The way it has gone so far has been unfortunate but it seems like you are dealing with it okay.

I think it's good tactics that you are notifying the licensing division on your grandson's progress. Keep that going in a positive direction and keep in mind any other merits about him that you can provide.

What a shame, all of this seems another bit of erosion and undermining to our freedom.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Hate to revive such an old thread, but does anyone know how this turned out?

Welcome to the board Doc.

Thank you...killing time until I get home!

Did someone repeal the 4th Amendment when I wasn't looking? The Patriot Act does it.
    Welcome to "Guilt by Association" the Nanny state's best friend.

4th Amendment
    “The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.”

Did someone repeal the 4th Amendment when I wasn't looking?

MSNBC REPORTS: Obama Justifies FEMA imprisonment of civilians! - Obama Approves Prolonged Detention of Citizens without being Charged | Video | Americans For Freedom.

http://americansforfreedom.org/videos/11/2097

More & more of this stuff will start happening,,,, liberals know that to get rid of the 2nd amendment you
    1st have to stop the 4th amendment. Get rid of probable cause and they can do whatever they wish.

...don't go down without a fight. Maybe it NOT TO LATE to reverse THIS JUNK.

My opinion is free of charge & worth every penny.

mel
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet1234 View Post
    Did someone repeal the 4th Amendment when I wasn't looking? The Patriot Act does it.
    Welcome to "Guilt by Association" the Nanny state's best friend.

4th Amendment
    “The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.”

Did someone repeal the 4th Amendment when I wasn't looking?

MSNBC REPORTS: Obama Justifies FEMA imprisonment of civilians! - Obama Approves Prolonged Detention of Citizens without being Charged | Video | Americans For Freedom.

MSNBC REPORTS: Obama Justifies FEMA imprisonment of civilians! - Obama Approves Prolonged Detention of Citizens without being Charged | Video | Americans For Freedom

More & more of this stuff will start happening,,,, liberals know that to get rid of the 2nd amendment you
    1st have to stop the 4th amendment. Get rid of probable cause and they can do whatever they wish.

...don't go down without a fight. Maybe it NOT TO LATE to reverse THIS JUNK.

My opinion is free of charge & worth every penny.
    This is a little disturbing, considering the way that this is worded. If you are deemed a "enemy combatant" or "terrorist" you can be held indefinitely? What is this country coming to?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc8404 View Post
    Hate to revive such an old thread, but does anyone know how this turned out?
    I read through this whole thread, horrified at how New York State (and certain counties within) operate. I hope it gets better for people there.

Apparently, it turned out well. Here's the final chapter: NYS Pistol License Suspension - Final Chapter

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Links