NYS Pistol License Suspension - Page 4

NYS Pistol License Suspension

This is a discussion on NYS Pistol License Suspension within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Lot's of advice here, but I would go to the county judge that issued your license in the first place. He/She may hold some sway ...

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 168
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: NYS Pistol License Suspension

  1. #46
    VIP Member Array JonInNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mid-Hudson Valley New York State
    Posts
    4,207
    Lot's of advice here, but I would go to the county judge that issued your license in the first place. He/She may hold some sway with the authorities. Since our permits are on a county-by-county basis, this might help.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin


  2. #47
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    44,751
    This sound like the 'taste' of worse things to come your way.
    I believe I would be thinking about a relocation plan. I know that that is a tough call, but what could happen if this country really goes down the tubes...more laws preventing self-defense and a heck of a lot more criminals.
    I don't think I would want to be living in your neck of the woods.
    Research your options...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  3. #48
    Senior Member Array 2edgesword's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    IANAL, but I see a couple glimmers of hope here. First, in your earlier post where you quote NYS on suspension/revocation, it at least sounds on the surface, like there is to be an investigation during the suspension, and that such suspension is not definitely permanent?

    Second, you indicate your daughter and grandson occupy an apartment at your residence, but is a separate dwelling? If this dwelling is indeed fully autonomous from your residence, that no "common areas" exist, and the grandson does not necessarily have access to your residence, that may be beneficial. Seems like their contention may be his potential access to your firearms. If he does not have access to your residence, this may work in your favor.

    Then again, I am trying to use logic here. I should probably know better when involving a topic like firearms and a government such as New York.

    I wish you the best of luck!

    Oh, on transferring your firearms? Based also on what you've posted, doing so may "significantly lengthen" your suspension? Hmm... all I can say is, if you are pretty certain it's permanent anyway, I would do that. If not, it might... might be worth simply turning them in (if they've not yet notified you, I wonder if doing so before the notification comes will affect you? There I go trying to use logic again... ).
    T-bone

    My wife has already recieved her suspension notice so she has to surrender her pistol immediate. Her brother is a NYC correction officer. I spoke to him today and he'll take possession of her pistol until this can be resolved.

    As for my daughter and grandson, yes, they have a separate entrance to their apartment and do not have open access to mine.

    My guess is the first notification I'll receive is to go to police headquarters for an interview. My intention is to have them clarify their concerns and then ask how this type of situation would be handled if I was a police officer, correction officer, judge or district attorney. Would one of these be required to surrender their firearm?

    I'm also going to look into the possibility of having my firearms stored at the range I frequent. If the concern is access to the handguns by my grandson that should alleviate the concern.

    In any case I'm going to keep the appointment with the attorney recommended by the NRA next week. There are many in this area of the country that view this situation as no big deal. Bologna!!! They just don't get it. If we don't fight for our rights and freedoms the government will rob us of them. When chaos comes in whatever form it's my right and responsiblity to defend my family and property.

  4. #49
    Senior Member Array 2edgesword's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Lot's of advice here, but I would go to the county judge that issued your license in the first place. He/She may hold some sway with the authorities. Since our permits are on a county-by-county basis, this might help.
    In my neck of the woods it's the police department that issues the license and they're the ones turning the screws in this situation.

  5. #50
    Senior Member Array 2edgesword's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This sound like the 'taste' of worse things to come your way.
    I believe I would be thinking about a relocation plan. I know that that is a tough call, but what could happen if this country really goes down the tubes...more laws preventing self-defense and a heck of a lot more criminals.
    I don't think I would want to be living in your neck of the woods.
    Research your options...
    I would like nothing more then to move to America (versus living in the People's Republic of New York) but for now that isn't an option. I have a Florida non-resident CCW that gives me more access to my 2nd amendment rights then does my NYS license. It's crazy.

  6. #51
    EW3
    EW3 is offline
    Senior Member Array EW3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,078
    This would never fly in Pennsylvania, thank God!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

  7. #52
    Senior Member Array 2edgesword's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    This would never fly in Pennsylvania, thank God!
    As incredible as it may seem with my Florida non-resident license I have more rights in PA then I do in my own home state.

    BTW, I just spoke with a lawyer and my only recourse is to fight it in court (approximately six months and thousands of dollars).

  8. #53
    Member Array trob09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
    BTW, I just spoke with a lawyer and my only recourse is to fight it in court (approximately six months and thousands of dollars).
    Ah New York - "If we make it difficult enough, people will just give up".

    I am glad I moved. I have heard an unconfirmed report that NYC's position on the revoking of permits is that since the application process is capricious and arbitrary, revoking or denying permits for capricious and arbitrary reasons is acceptable. Perhaps the rest of the state is picking up on that.
    Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude - Frederick Douglass

  9. #54
    Senior Member Array 2edgesword's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    653
    trob09

    "Ah New York - "If we make it difficult enough, people will just give up".

    Unfortunately you are correct. They are making it so onerous that most people, many who don't have a clue about the importance of the 2nd amendment, just won't bother. They are either living under the presumption that the government will protect them when the "stuff" hits the fan or have never learned that the Founders included this amendment as a protection against a tyrannical government.

  10. #55
    Member Array trob09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
    trob09

    "Ah New York - "If we make it difficult enough, people will just give up".

    Unfortunately you are correct. They are making it so onerous that most people, many who don't have a clue about the importance of the 2nd amendment, just won't bother. They are either living under the presumption that the government will protect them when the "stuff" hits the fan or have never learned that the Founders included this amendment as a protection against a tyrannical government.
    It was clear to me that the permitting process in NYC was/is designed to have the maximum amount of annoyance built in - Lengthy and convoluted application process, repeated times where you must show up in person in very narrow time windows, Gov't "servants" who seem mostly interested in finding where you've made a mistake on your application. You must really be committed to see it through.

    The vast majority of my NYC friends can't believe that I own guns and *gasp!* might actually carry one. These are the same people who ended up at my apartment after 9/11 and the blackout because I was prepared. If something happens now, they either have to find their way 1200 miles west or deal with the NYC madness. I wish them luck either way.
    Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude - Frederick Douglass

  11. #56
    Senior Member Array 2edgesword's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    653
    trob09

    I got my license in Suffolk County 20 years ago and thought the process back then was onerous. I was just enlightened to the process one has to go through in NYC. Absolutely incredible!!! It makes the Suffolk County paperwork look like a shortform and all for the privilege of carrying an unloaded handgun to and from the range!!! The sole purpose is to disarm the populace, period.

    At this point my wife is not willing to go through the gyrations and expense of fighting her suspension. As for me, even though we're talking about a license with draconian restrictions (target and huntng) I can't just walk away from a right that many have struggle, fought and died to preserve for us, as diluted as it is in my county.

    It's going to take months to wade through the process and I'll post periodically to let those interest know how it's going.

  12. #57
    Member Array jbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    438
    I know theres an appeals process in NY for people who are denied a pistol license. It may be the same for revoked licenses as well. If so it could help to speed the process along. I cant find the book that I have that outlines the whole procedure.

    Im happy I live in Dutchess County. Although we still have to go through a lot of the B.S. that the state requires, we have a very pro-gun sheriff, and judges.

    The letter I received in the mail, that included the "supplements" to go pick up my handgun infuriated me! It stated that I have "PERMISSION" from NYS to purchase my handgun. Permission???? You have to be kidding me! It should say that I am ENTITLED
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

  13. #58
    Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Texan in NWFlorida
    Posts
    1,588

    Cool

    Found on the 'Second Amendment Foundation' wesite:
    Second Amendment Foundation Online

    ****************
    New York: Nothing specific, however Article XII, Section 1 of the Constitution covers both the "organized" and "unorganized" militia and reads:

    The defense and protection of the state and of the United States is an obligation of all persons within the state. The legislature shall provide for the discharge of this obligation and for the maintenance and regulation of an organized militia.

    Article 2, Section 4 of the New York Civil Rights Law also reads almost identical to the Second Amendment:

    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms cannot be infringed.

    *****************
    Good Luck!


    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

    "Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

    GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

  14. #59
    Member Array ultra45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
    trob09

    .

    At this point my wife is not willing to go through the gyrations and expense of fighting her suspension. As for me, even though we're talking about a license with draconian restrictions (target and huntng) I can't just walk away from a right that many have struggle, fought and died to preserve for us, as diluted as it is in my county.

    It's going to take months to wade through the process and I'll post periodically to let those interest know how it's going.
    This is exactly what they are counting on. FIGHT THEM. If your circumstances are as you say, the LAW is on your side and you will prevail.

  15. #60
    Member Array trob09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
    trob09

    I got my license in Suffolk County 20 years ago and thought the process back then was onerous. I was just enlightened to the process one has to go through in NYC. Absolutely incredible!!! It makes the Suffolk County paperwork look like a shortform and all for the privilege of carrying an unloaded handgun to and from the range!!! The sole purpose is to disarm the populace, period.

    At this point my wife is not willing to go through the gyrations and expense of fighting her suspension. As for me, even though we're talking about a license with draconian restrictions (target and huntng) I can't just walk away from a right that many have struggle, fought and died to preserve for us, as diluted as it is in my county.

    It's going to take months to wade through the process and I'll post periodically to let those interest know how it's going.
    Hey, you've got my moral support from this corner of the world... I hope it works out for you.

    Tim
    Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude - Frederick Douglass

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Got a call for pistol license interview today
    By distortion9 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: August 14th, 2011, 12:43 PM
  2. NH may end the requirment for a Pistol and revolver License
    By CLASS3NH in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: February 27th, 2011, 01:48 PM
  3. NYS Pistol License Suspension - Final Chapter
    By 2edgesword in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: November 27th, 2010, 10:45 PM
  4. NYS Pistol License Suspension - Chapter Two
    By 2edgesword in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: May 20th, 2010, 11:30 PM
  5. Pistol License Reinstatement
    By Jefferson in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: October 22nd, 2009, 06:20 PM

Search tags for this page

gun liscence interview nyc
,
new york pistol permit revocation
,
ny pistol permit revoked
,

ny pistol permit suspended

,

nys pistol permit revoked

,

nys pistol permit suspension

,
pistol permit revoked new york state
,

revoked gun license new york

,
revoking nys pistol permit
,
suffolk county pistol permit process
,
suspended gun license in ny
,
why would pistol license be suspended in oneida county ny
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors