NYS Pistol License Suspension

This is a discussion on NYS Pistol License Suspension within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by trob09 Hey, you've got my moral support from this corner of the world... I hope it works out for you. Tim I ...

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: NYS Pistol License Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by trob09 View Post
    Hey, you've got my moral support from this corner of the world... I hope it works out for you.

Tim
    I very much appreciate the moral support. It's people on this forum and others like it that let me know I'm not alone and give me some courage to keep up the fight. There are those days when I feel "what's the use", it's fighting a losing battle. But I come back to the forum or get my cope of 1st Freedom magazine or log onto the NRA website and get inspired again. Whether or not I win this battle at least I'll have some consolation in having done what I could to put up a fight.

And maybe someday I'll have the opportunity to get out of this God forsaken state and move to America.

2. Remove Ads

Well it's official :( ... I received my pistol license suspension notice today.

It's off to visit the lawyer tomorrow to get the article 78 proceeding started and then at some point this week my wife and I have to go out to pistol licensing to surrender (hate that word with a passion) our handguns.

VIP Member
    Good Luck tomorrow with the Lawyer. It don't make sense since Your Grandson is in a different home than You. Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
    ...It's off to visit the lawyer tomorrow to get the article 78 proceeding ...
    GL...What you are dealing with is not right. One of the reasons I just don't plan trips to NY.
    Last edited by Thanis; March 3rd, 2009 at 04:58 AM.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

ccman

There are separate entrances and there is no common access (plus a separate alarm system for my apartment, lock boxes bolted to the floor, never a problem with me or my wife in the 20 years we've had our licenses) which my wife explained during her interview so in my mind it doesn't make any sense. Then again we're talking about downstate NY where the licensing authority grants you the right to own a pistol and legislatively (as far as I can tell) doesn't need a reason to deny you that right.

Another issue I'd be interested in understanding is whether there are laws that prohibit a parent from owning any firearm if a teenager living in the same home has been convicted of a misdemeanor. I don't think that's the case but then again I had no idea my pistol license was in jeapordy based on my grandsons crime and his alleged gang association.

Another issue will be what conditions have to be met to have the suspension lifted. If my daugther moves and my grandson comes to visit for a month in the summer do I have to give up my pistol license again? Just how far can they take this?

Best of luck to you. I can't imagine how horrible it must feel to give them up (and I'm from NY too!). I hope your lawyer does a good job for you. Let us know how it goes!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    2edgesword.

I hope Your Lawyer can give You some good answers and hope on this. I would make a list of questions so I would not leave anything out when You go to see Him.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patti View Post
    Lawyer up
    +1. At least a consultation to see where you stand. Perhaps at least get you an opportunity to sell your weapons and not just lose them.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

JoninNY

Thanks.

It's been a tough week since my wife got her suspension notice last week and knowing mine was going to be in the mail shortly. I've got thirteen grandchildren. They're all precious. My grandson screwed up and he understands in no uncertain terms that while we love and support him my wife and I have zero tolerance with respect to any criminal activity, violence or gang activity/association. We also have tried to convey to him that his actions have ramifications on the victim, the victim's family as well as his own family. He has his whole life ahead of him (he's sixteen). To ruin your life and seriously limit your future opportunities for a couple of hundred dollars worth of cell phones not only wrong it's just plain stupid.

ccman

Good suggestion. If I don't write the questions down I'll probably forget half them and then kick myself in the butt while I'm driving home.

VIP Member
    2edgesword

You got it, thats what I do when I have a meeting of importance.

Best of luck. Maybe when you explain the entire situation as explained to us, the pistol police will have some common sense and realize that there really is not a problem, that you just got caught up in the computer generated reports and bureaucracy. You might want to take pictures of all entrances, security devices and gun safes.
    oldogy

VIP Member
    oldogy.
    Best of luck. Maybe when you explain the entire situation as explained to us, the pistol police will have some common sense and realize that there really is not a problem, that you just got caught up in the computer generated reports and bureaucracy.
    oldogy.

This is what I am thinking/hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by oldogy View Post
    You might want to take pictures of all entrances, security devices and gun safes.
    oldogy
    This was something I was thinking of doing (taking pictures). At this point it can't hurt.

Never thought I would say this to somone about gun ownership, but I'm praying for you.

It looks bad, but maybe someone will be reasonable (esp considering how secure the firearm is). Those pictures are a great idea. GL today.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Thanis

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Never thought I would say this to somone about gun ownership, but I'm praying for you.
    Being a praying man myself I appreciate it.

Both lawyers I've spoken to expressed a high level of confidence that an appeal of the suspension would be successful. Having said that one of them told me that if I surrender the firearms to PD make sure they are well oiled.

My wife isn't very happy that it's going to cost a few thousand dollars to hire an lawyer especially since the company I work for had its forth round of layoffs last week, cut everyones compensation and announced that the remaining employees will be taking one week unpaid furloughs each quarter until business turns around.

O.k., enough of my moaning and groaning. I appreciate the well wishes and the prayers.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links