NYS Pistol License Suspension - Page 7

NYS Pistol License Suspension

This is a discussion on NYS Pistol License Suspension within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "You can't find any attorney to handle this situation pro bono or for a nominal fee?" Pro bono? No. Nominal fee? Unfortunately we are talking ...

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: NYS Pistol License Suspension

"You can't find any attorney to handle this situation pro bono or for a nominal fee?"

Pro bono? No.

Nominal fee? Unfortunately we are talking about few thousand dollars with respect to legal fees, which may in fact be a nominal fee when you're talking about legal fees.

But given the current economic situation (I work for a medium size company that has had four rounds of layoffs in the last six months, across the board compensation cuts and mandatory one week furloughs for everyone) and in spite of how important this is to me (my wife doesn't share the sentiment) paying my mortgage, utilities, etc., etc., etc. have to be the priority...at least my wife thinks so ;).

Ideologically and based on principle this bugs me to no end but realistically getting involved in a legal battle, given the "privileges" the license affords you if you're living in Suffolk County, the likelihood that my situation will change shortly (daughter and grandkids moving out of state within the next year or so), the current economic situation and given what it would mean as far as changing the situation regarding the 2nd amendment here on Long Island (nothing), I can't justify the expensive involved in putting up that kind of fight.

I haven't lost my fighting spirit but I'm trying to exercise some wisdom on the when, where and under what circumstances I do the fighting. Either that or I'm just getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
    I haven't lost my fighting spirit but I'm trying to exercise some wisdom on the when, where and under what circumstances I do the fighting. Either that or I'm just getting old.
    Choose your battles wisely! One of the first lessons of life. I see some wisdom there, nothing to do with age.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Where is Danny Crane when you need him???????

At this point I'd settle for a good paralegal that knows how to file an article 78 petition :).

At this point I'd settle for a good paralegal that knows how to file an article 78 petition :).
    Have you thought about going to a local law school and enlisting a help of someone who just graduated or is just about to?

Quote Originally Posted by Huzar View Post
    Have you thought about going to a local law school and enlisting a help of someone who just graduated or is just about to?
    Actually I hadn't thought of that but given the lack of options that might be an avenue to investigate.

Ideologically and based on principle this bugs me to no end but realistically getting involved in a legal battle, given the "privileges" the license affords you if you're living in Suffolk County, the likelihood that my situation will change shortly (daughter and grandkids moving out of state within the next year or so), the current economic situation and given what it would mean as far as changing the situation regarding the 2nd amendment here on Long Island (nothing), I can't justify the expensive involved in putting up that kind of fight.
    One thing worth considering before you give up the fight is whether having a previously revoked permit is grounds for denying a future permit. It would not surprise me at all if this were the case in Suffolk county given my experiences with the powers-that-be in NYC.

In any case, sorry to hear of your continued struggles.
    Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude - Frederick Douglass

Quote Originally Posted by trob09 View Post
    One thing worth considering before you give up the fight is whether having a previously revoked permit is grounds for denying a future permit. It would not surprise me at all if this were the case in Suffolk county given my experiences with the powers-that-be in NYC.

In any case, sorry to hear of your continued struggles.
    trob09

The license wasn't revoked it was suspended. The reason for the suspension is noted on the suspension letter. In speaking to the licensing division they said once my grandson has relocated I can reapply and the suspension would be lift. It is somewhat of a black eye but I don't believe the other applications I've completed in the past (I have Florida and New Hampshire non-resident licenses) asked about license suspensions.

That would be the unlicensed practice of law.

A sure way into the Bar Associations good graces...just above stealing client's money or violating attorney/client confidentiality.

I'm guessing the prospective lawyers would be as happy to do that as they would to have a plague infested rat as a pet.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    I'm guessing the prospective lawyers would be as happy to do that as they would to have a plague infested rat as a pet.
    You'd be suprised. If they could sue the rat for endangerment or seek some form of damages they just might.
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

That would be the unlicensed practice of law.

A sure way into the Bar Associations good graces...just above stealing client's money or violating attorney/client confidentiality.

If they go to court for him then yes. If they help him go through the paperwork then I believe that's OK. Anyways, I'm not talking about going to the school and yelling out "who'll help me" and grabbing the first body that says yes. I'm talking about looking for an organization on campus that specializes in helping folks..... AFAIK most law schools have some sort of an organization that does something like that. The students know how far they can go and what they can't do.

VIP Member
    I doubt you'd find a organization on a university campus that would take up a 2A project, especially in NYS.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I doubt you'd find a organization on a university campus that would take up a 2A project, especially in NYS.
    if you don't ask you wont find out....

If they go to court for him then yes. If they help him go through the paperwork then I believe that's OK. Anyways, I'm not talking about going to the school and yelling out "who'll help me" and grabbing the first body that says yes. I'm talking about looking for an organization on campus that specializes in helping folks..... AFAIK most law schools have some sort of an organization that does something like that. The students know how far they can go and what they can't do.

Law students are covered in the state rules of professional responsibility which deal with what they can and cannot do, and how they are to be supervised.

The students are farmed out to various legal aid organizations and work under the supervision of the organization's lawyers, the professor or both. It's not a "public help desk", but a dedicated, graded assignment.

You are assigned to a clinic - criminal defense clinic at the public defender's office...consumer protection clinic helping the attorney general go after fraud...environmental law clinic working with save the wetlands people...legal aid for people being evicted...

Your work is assigned to you by a superior and you get graded on it.

No "walk ins". No "help with paperwork".

Law school does not work the way you think it does.

Law students are covered in the state rules of professional responsibility which deal with what they can and cannot do, and how they are to be supervised.

The students are farmed out to various legal aid organizations and work under the supervision of the organization's lawyers, the professor or both. It's not a "public help desk", but a dedicated, graded assignment.

You are assigned to a clinic - criminal defense clinic at the public defender's office...consumer protection clinic helping the attorney general go after fraud...environmental law clinic working with save the wetlands people...legal aid for people being evicted...

Your work is assigned to you by a superior and you get graded on it.

No "walk ins". No "help with paperwork".

Law school does not work the way you think it does.
    Yup. So not in New York, but what I described exists About the CLPC :: Community Legal Practice Clinic :: W&L Law School Each school usually has a program of sorts that does something similar. So what I'm getting at, there might be organizations that wont charge much if anything that could help in this situation.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links