Property rights bill in Texas (gun in car)

This is a discussion on Property rights bill in Texas (gun in car) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; HB 1301 has been introduced to secure personal property rights for citizens. This law would allow you to have the same rights within your personal ...

Thread: Property rights bill in Texas (gun in car)

Property rights bill in Texas (gun in car)

HB 1301 has been introduced to secure personal property rights for citizens. This law would allow you to have the same rights within your personal property, your car, that you have in your home. It would trump any corporate policy and allow you to have your firearms inside your vehicle.

I have written to my state legislator (Chris Turner)in support of this law. His reply indicated that he is fence-sitting on the issue and waiting to hear enough replies from voters to make sure he doesn't loose face on the issue.

Write to your legislator in support of this bill! They won't follow common sence, but they will follow the voice of their constituents when they hear from enough of them. I would especially appreciate it if your rep is Turner so your voice would reinforce my own.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

2. Remove Ads

Will do,we should be able to carry anytime anywhere.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I wasn't aware that this is a problem anywhere in Texas. Laws and resolutions for the sake of laws and resolutions has gotten beyond old.

I think I'll pass.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    Actually, it is a problem. Employers can keep employees from keeping their guns in their vehicles, on company property. It would also override any entity that has a parking lot posted with a 30.06 sign. The law would for all practical purposes say you have the right to have your gun in your vehicle, regardless of any other statutes, or policies...for example teachers, etc...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I have somewhat mixed feelings about this. I would agree if it applied to handgun license holders. I'm not sure I agree that it should apply to those who 'more casually' keep a gun in their car but would be illegal if they ever needed to step out of their car with it.

I think my problem with this legislation is that it dilutes the meaning of a concealed handgun license---and when things go bad, we will be lumped together with folks who keep in their cars but who have gone through somewhat less stringent background checks.

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Actually, it is a problem. Employers can keep employees from keeping their guns in their vehicles, on company property. It would also override any entity that has a parking lot posted with a 30.06 sign. The law would for all practical purposes say you have the right to have your gun in your vehicle, regardless of any other statutes, or policies...for example teachers, etc...
    I am unaware of this ever occurring. I still say it is legislation for the sake of legislation.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I am unaware of this ever occurring. I still say it is legislation for the sake of legislation.
    This is a problem in Texas and in other shall issue states. Employers have begun on more and more occasions to usurp the property rights of their employees by not only making searches of your company property something you cannot resist without getting fired, but searches of your own property (your car) and restrictions on what they can find inside. This bill is one proposed and lobbied for by the Texas State Rifle Association and is modeled after similar legislation in other states.

I do not object to an employer having the right to ensure that I am not stealing from them by having random searches of my vehicle. If it isn't their property it isn't any of their business. If security wants to look in my car for company property, okay, if they see something illegal they have a duty to report, okay. If it is legal it is not any of the company's business.

This bill is an effort to allow those who may legally have firearms in their cars to be able to, no matter where they go. In Texas our prohibitions on firearms are only for buildings and structures. They do not include grounds and parking lots with a few very specific exeptions. My vehicle is my property and my rights to the sanctity of that property should be the same as my home.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    There are no legal 30.06 signs that apply to anything but buildings and structures. There have been a few creative people who have made street or parking lot signs, they carry no force of law. Those signs are not area signs, they are to be posted on the entrances of buildings and structures. Parking garage, okay. Parking lot, BS.
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Links