Letter to the Editor

Letter to the Editor

This is a discussion on Letter to the Editor within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is a copy of a letter I wrote to our local newspaper. Who knows if it will ever see the light of day, but........figured ...

Letter to the Editor

This is a copy of a letter I wrote to our local newspaper.
    Who knows if it will ever see the light of day, but........figured you folks would agree.

Breakfast in America
    As I was sitting in my favorite breakfast spot this morning enjoying a wonderful omelet, I could not help but to overhear two couples commenting on the recent shooting in Cleveland, ostensibly by one Davon Crawford. One woman commented; “….that it was a terrible thing and that there are just too many guns ‘out there’.” The other woman, an apparent friend of the first, commented laughingly to the effect that; “People should have to take a mental competency exam before owning a gun.” I had all I could do to not only swallow my omelet, but my tongue as well. It was indeed a terrible event, however, I take offense not only at these type of statements being acceptable to a populace who have become conditioned by our misled socio-liberal culture, but also to the fact the shooting had the occasion to occur at all.

In the order of the offenses to my sensibilities, let me explain. First, the statement that there are “just too many guns available”; the amount of guns in the hands of criminals cannot be legislated from existence. Legislation will only deny the law abiding from owning a firearm. The reality that guns exist at all is a fact of life. In this country the right to keep and bear arms is not just some ‘right wing’ group’s ideal. It is a constitutionally protected right. That right is not ‘granted’ as a privilege to the citizens by the Constitution, it is ‘protected’ by it and Congress shall make no laws contrary to the Constitution. The firearms ‘on the street’ get there predominantly because of thefts from homes and businesses and although it is an unfortunate occurrence, it is due to a crime occurring in the first place and possibly improper storage methods by the previous owners, not by ‘unscrupulous dealers’ selling them to felons. Firearms dealers are monitored stringently already and anyone not following the draconian letter of the law is put out of business in a flash.

It is simply not possible to legislate away the existence of firearms. Britain, Australia, and Mexico are among those that have tried to make it illegal to privately possess firearms and have proven by crime statistics how much of a failure that idea is. In Mexico almost every household with the financial ability to do so, owns at least one firearm and the types of most of those, contrary to what you may have heard recently, are not available in the U.S. to any of us law abiding citizens. That means they are not getting into Mexico from here. Even if you could eliminate firearms from existence these types of crimes would still happen by other means. Britain’s largest percentage of assault crimes are now being committed with knives. How could knives be practically banned from society? As far as outright bans on firearms, examine the crime levels in some of the communist or dictatorial countries. They are far from exemplary.

The fact that Davon Crawford, was in possession of a firearm that could have been avoided by any legislation is a patently false theory. According to news reports; Davon Crawford was convicted in 1995 of voluntary manslaughter. He was released in 2000 and sent back to prison in 2002 on a felonious assault conviction involving domestic violence.

That means he was a convicted felon, (apparently more than once). Convicted felons are already barred from ‘legally’ owning a firearm of any kind or even being in the presence of one. The only way Davon could posses a firearm was ILLEGALLY. Laws will not stop those that do not choose to follow them.

Also reportedly, in a letter written in 2005, most likely for a parole hearing, Crawford apologized for firing a gun in his home and said, "I made an insensible choice in a moment of anger that could have actually cost me my wife and children...." And yet still another woman chose to forget all that Davon Crawford had proven himself to be and marry him, (only 4 days prior) putting at risk not only her own safety, but that of her children and other family members.

That brings us to the next statement; “People should have to take a mental competency exam before owning a gun.” For one, we have already determined Crawford was illegally in possession of a firearm. Would one more law have changed the outcome? Secondly, it would conceivably then make sense to have people take a competency exam prior to being permitted to get married or have children. Everyday there are far more children that are mistreated and neglected to the point of death than those that are injured or killed by firearms. Don’t overlook the fact that most firearm death statistics include those underage victims of criminal activities which skew the data in favor of those arguing against ownership.

As far as competency goes for owning firearms, it’s an idea that although sound in practice is flawed in principle. It goes back to the Constitution; it is a protected Right to possess firearms for your personal well being as well as protection against a tyrannical government. If it was required to show competency for exercising that right, it would be akin to having to show competency for being able to exercise say, the First Amendment, involving the Freedom of Speech. Some have argued that it is required to show competency to have a license to drive a car, but the flaw in that argument is; there are still a lot of incompetent drivers on the road, and; driving a car is not a constitutionally protected right. The freedom to travel is, but not necessarily by car.

The Second Amendment was written from a fresh perspective of men who just experienced a government attempting to take away that very right. Let us not forget the auspicious event where the British soldiers marched on Concord to take possession of the arms in the local militia’s armory. That was where the ‘shot heard ‘round the world’ was fired. That is the reason the Founders wrote in the protection of the right of the people to keep and bear arms. We would no longer keep our arms in an armory that was subject to governmental control and confiscation, but in our homes. Look to Australia or Britain today where laws dictate that firearms be kept in a facility such as a ‘sporting club’ but not in private homes. Remarkably; guns have been stolen even from these and other ‘secure’ facilities allowing criminals access while denying the law abiding.

British subjects seem destined to repeat history. Let us hope that a country founded on principles learned from personal experience and fought for against tyrannical extremes, does not again fall for the violation of them.

G. Patrick
    Last edited by ImaShepardRU; March 7th, 2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: formatting
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Great letter!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Ditto. But I fear, waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to be published. Maybe as an opinion piece.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Ditto. But I fear, waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to be published. Maybe as an opinion piece.

Either way, a great read!

Bravo Zulu!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Good read, good points, but too long. Most editorial departments have a limit that is somewhere between 500-1000 words. Check with them and then re-write to fit. When they see how long it is they will not have any crisis of conscience for not printing it.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Yes, I was thinking it might get in as an editorial/opinion piece.
    Had to be said either way. (It's actually 1100 words, just got on a roll!)
    Thanks all.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Forget length...find a paper that leans the right way.....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Good read...Thanks.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Nicely written! I hope it gets published, but I'm not holding my breath. Logic tends to make liberals' eyes bleed.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Well done.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Yeah, I agree the odds are not good.

This letter needs to be published in it's entirety. Great letter!!!
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    While a well-written piece, it's a bit on the wordy side for editorial consideration in most papers. Space is money to papers, many have word limits for submissions, and if it appears, don't be surprised to see it trimmed quite a bit.

For instance:
    As I was sitting in my favorite breakfast spot this morning enjoying a wonderful omelet, I could not help but to overhear two couples commenting on the recent shooting in Cleveland,... could be cut to :
    Recently I overheard two couples commenting on...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I hope it gets published and we need to get more of this out into the public. Logic and truth will hopefully break through the cloud of crap currently floating.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Excellent article, needs to be published but, really needs to be read. Most of the people on the left are so closed minded that even when published it won't be read. ( Those of us on the right are the same way, I tend not to read things that I know go against my beliefs.) Maybe Required reading is the way.
    I reject your reality, and insert my own.

Links