VA-ALERT: "60 Minutes"

This is a discussion on VA-ALERT: "60 Minutes" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We will let you guys know when the show will air. Also, below there is a link for a piece that ABC News did last ...

Thread: VA-ALERT: "60 Minutes"

We will let you guys know when the show will air. Also, below there is a link for a piece that ABC News did last year at VCDL Picnic in Newport News, VA

Yesterday at the large (and very crowded) Richmond C&E gun show at the Showplace, the CBS show "60 Minutes" was filming a segment dealing with gun shows, gun show legislation, and the recent explosion of firearm and ammunition sales due to concerns that the new administration might be hostile to the
    second amendment, worries about the economy, and potential terrorism.

I was interviewed at length by Lesley Stahl and I walked some of the
    show floor with her.

The camera crew and I also went to Dominion Shooting Range in Richmond to film me shooting. Dominion graciously helped with the arrangements.

Some of you are probably drawing in a deep breath about this time, and I thoroughly understand.

However, VCDL has had a policy of being open with the press, even
    those who have been hostile to gun owners in the past.

I willingly, and regularly, do interviews with the Virginian-Pilot,
    the Roanoke Times, and the Daily Press, for example.

Last year we allowed ABC's Nightline to attend one of our picnics and
    I thought they did a great job and were quite fair in their story.
    To view the Nightline story, go to: ABC News

The "60 Minute" questioning was thorough and reasonable in my opinion.

There were some tough questions and, hopefully, some tough answers.

Continuing to work with the press is important. For If we don't
    represent our side of the argument, then who will? On an unbiased
    playing field, with both sides getting equal time, I am convinced that
    our positions will out shine those of our opponents every time.

"60 Minutes" interviewed Colonel Massengill, ex-superintendent of the Virginia State Police, yesterday and will be interviewing some of the Virginia Tech families next week.

I will advise everyone once there is a date for show to be aired.

You present an excellent argument for talking to the media. I only hope when the program airs it is fair and balanced. The media is famous for being gracious while making a piece of video only to edit it into a Michael Moore presentation once it appears on TV. No one should forget that the press is far from conservative and far from even being neutral on gun rights. Dealing with them is like having a discussion with the fox over acceptable behavior in the chicken coop.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uechi View Post
    You present an excellent argument for talking to the media. I only hope when the program airs it is fair and balanced. The media is famous for being gracious while making a piece of video only to edit it into a Michael Moore presentation once it appears on TV. No one should forget that the press is far from conservative and far from even being neutral on gun rights. Dealing with them is like having a discussion with the fox over acceptable behavior in the chicken coop.
    Media outlets who's only intention is to slant the topic rarely seek out an informed individual to present the case. Granted, a lot can be done in editing but they will usually look for some "gun nut" not responsible, informed people. And, it seems to me that recent documentary type pieces (not drive-by media talking heads) that have taken on 2A issues have been surprisingly balanced. I can't wait to see how this one turns out.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I hope they are fair in their editing (they often are not, taking a half hour interview and cutting it to 30 or 40 second sound bites that make the interviewee look like a moron or a lunatic).

Having once had the opportunity to speak to Ms. Stahl on camera and declining, I am glad I did. Still ended up on camera on 60 minutes, but with my mouth shut. They did do a decent slice and dice on several others who didn't decline.... That was a long time ago. I hope they are more interested in fact than sensationalism this time.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

There is always a chance of the slant

The only hope is that it won't happen and it will be a fair and balanced piece.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jowgafist View Post
    The "60 Minute" questioning was thorough and reasonable in my opinion.

There were some tough questions and, hopefully, some tough answers.

"60 Minutes" interviewed Colonel Massengill, ex-superintendent of the Virginia State Police, yesterday and will be interviewing some of the Virginia Tech families next week.

I will advise everyone once there is a date for show to be aired.
    I am cautiously optimistic. Very cautiously. It's not the interview or the questions, but how they choose to edit it and what the voice over has to say that makes the message.

I participated in an ongoing focus group during the Bush/Kerry election sponsored by the Boston Globe. I could barely recognize what they printed verses what I said in those sessions. There were clear factual errors, some distortions and some stuff I just did not recognize.

I hope my low expectations are unwarranted. We'll see.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Sponsored Links