Just in - court blocks rule allowing CCW in National Parks

This is a discussion on Just in - court blocks rule allowing CCW in National Parks within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Court blocks rule allowing guns in national parks - Crime & courts- msnbc.com Associated Press updated 33 minutes ago WASHINGTON - A federal judge has ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just in - court blocks rule allowing CCW in National Parks

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar

Thumbs down Just in - court blocks rule allowing CCW in National Parks

Court blocks rule allowing guns in national parks - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

Associated Press
    updated 33 minutes ago
    WASHINGTON - A federal judge has blocked a federal rule allowing people to carry concealed, loaded guns in national parks and wildlife refuges.

A decision issued Thursday by U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly overturns a rule issued in the waning days of the Bush administration.

The rule took effect Jan. 11 and allowed visitors to carry a loaded gun into a park or wildlife refuge as long as the person has a permit for a concealed weapon and the state where the park or refuge is located allows concealed firearms. Previously, guns in parks had been severely restricted.

The Obama administration had said it was reviewing the Bush rule but had defended it in court.
    I guess if I want to see the park, I better hurry and get up to Rocky Mtn NP before this trickles down.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

2. Remove Ads

Well, ...... That stinks!
    I just hope the case can make it to SCOUS before Obama can re-stack the court.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

and from the Washington Post:

Judge Blocks Bush Rule Allowing Concealed Weapons in National Parks - washingtonpost.com

Judge Blocks Bush Rule Allowing Concealed Weapons in National Parks

By Del Quentin Wilber
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, March 19, 2009; 5:35 PM

A federal judge today blocked a last-minute rule enacted by President Bush allowing visitors to national parks to carry concealed weapons.

U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly issued a preliminary injunction in a lawsuit brought by gun-control advocates and environmental groups. The Justice Department had sought to block the injunction against the controversial rule.

The three groups that brought the suit -- the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the National Parks Conservation Association and the Coalition of National Park Service Retires -- argued the Bush Administration violated several laws in issuing the rule.

In her ruling, Kollar-Kotelly agreed that the government's process had been "astoundingly flawed."

The regulation took effect Jan. 9 and allowed visitors to carry loaded concealed guns into national parks and wildlife refuges. In the past, they had been allowed in such areas only if they were unloaded, stored or dismantled.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Information on the Clinton appointed Judge here:

Colleen Kollar-Kotelly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

More infomation on the Judge if you are so inclined:

https://ecf.dcd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/Opinions.pl?2008

Interesting that the site has a secure address but I found it thru google and you can get around without any kind of login. Put the judges name in the search field and you will find all rulings she's made in '08. Change the year in the address bar and you can review previous years.

Who is John Galt?

Is the frog still sitting in the 'warming' water?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm sure this will be appealed 20 times over. So when the Department of the Interior removes this U.S. Department of the Interior - News Release - Interior Announces Final Firearms Policy Update from their website then we will know for sure whats happened. Until then I live in MI with lots of state parks

I thought due process was to be used before denial of rights, not reinstatement of them.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    I don't like the ruling either. However to blame the court ruling on Obama is ridiculous. The law suits were filed before he took office by the Brady bunch and others. If McCain had won the election and the judge ruled against it would you be blaming McCain? Blame the man for what he does, not for everything that happens. BTW, I did not vote for him and I don't agree with his views, but we have to be realistic, he didn't file the suit.

This sucks, but is not unexpected. We'll just have to sit back and wait and see what happens with the rounds of appeals...
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    So if I read this right we can no longer carry in National parks. What happened to the NRA

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I don't like the ruling either. However to blame the court ruling on Obama is ridiculous. The law suits were filed before he took office by the Brady bunch and others. If McCain had won the election and the judge ruled against it would you be blaming McCain? Blame the man for what he does, not for everything that happens. BTW, I did not vote for him and I don't agree with his views, but we have to be realistic, he didn't file the suit.
    Right, but who "defended" it? If an entity wants to get rid of guns, the best way to do it is to position yourself as the defender and just do a lousy job. Regardless, it should be noted that there are a lot of wackjob judges at the district level. Who appointed the judge in this case?
    Last edited by HotGuns; March 19th, 2009 at 09:46 PM. Reason: edited out unacceptable language
    HK .45C
    HK P2000SK 9mm LEM

Any questions?

Quote Originally Posted by f8lranger4x4 View Post
    So if I read this right we can no longer carry in National parks. What happened to the NRA
    It's going to take some time for the NRA to react, the ruling just came down today. Lawyers will have to look at the judges ruling and I'm sure it will take some time to put together an appeal.

She may have issued an injunction, but since the rule has already taken affect, it will take some time to 'unaffect' it. And hopefully by that time, there will be another ruling that will step on HER ruling

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by belltoller View Post
    Regardless, it should be noted that there are a lot of wackjob judges at the district level. Who appointed the judge in this case?
    I don't know how she was assigned to the case, but you will see in one of my earlier posts that she was appointed by Clinton. You can also find in my earlier posts how to read for yourself if she's a 'wackjob judge' or not.

Who is John Galt?

Okay, she's a Clinton appointed judge...but was also appointed by C.J. Rehnquist to head the FISC. A quick review of her records shows she is a liberal, but not a wackjob.
    HK .45C
    HK P2000SK 9mm LEM

Any questions?

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    1 step forward, 2 steps back. It is a shame how a few people with special interest can impose on everyone elses rights. Probably the ones that piss me off the most are the rangers who work in the parks. They are government employees and work for the people of this country. They have no business trying to impose on others rights. If they don't like or "feel safe" doing their job, they are free to find another job. The rest of the special interest doesn't surprise me.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links