VA Laws need help

VA Laws need help

This is a discussion on VA Laws need help within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello everyone I've been lurking for a while[the master holster list is a great resource] But the time has come where I actually need to ...

Thread: VA Laws need help

Unhappy VA Laws need help

Hello everyone I've been lurking for a while[the master holster list is a great resource] But the time has come where I actually need to participate. I live on a small island in alaska and I have so far nothing but appreciation for alaska guns laws. I'm and temporarily in VA for a school and have been made googly eyed by the prices here. I have looked and looked but I cannot find a solid source of information on the laws in the state for out of state[tad] military. I am legally allowed to purchase a firearm in every state I know of yet for some reason I think it cannot be that easy. If anyone has can point me toward some legislation that would be awesome.

If VA is your "permanent duty station" you are considered a Virginia Resident and can buy handguns and long guns. You'll need your Military ID, a copy of your orders, and driver's license/2nd photo ID.

Otherwise you are considered non-resident and are restricted to long guns only. You'll need two ID's both with the same address in your home state.

Here's the skinny form the State Police website:
    --------------------------------
    Primary Identification

The primary form of identification shall consist of a valid photo-identification form issued by a governmental agency of the Commonwealth or of the prospective purchaserís home state that denotes the purchaserís name, sex, date of birth, and address. Where the primary form of identification is a photo-identification issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles, the date of issuance must exceed sixty (60) days from the date of new issue or duplicate issue unless the prospective purchaser also presents a copy of his/her Department of Motor Vehicles driver's record showing that the original date of issue exceeds sixty (60) days.

A State Department Driverís License is an acceptable primary form of identification: a photo-identification issued by a [Federal] governmental agency which indicates the individualís name, address, race, sex, and date of birth.

Social security cards and birth certificates ARE NOT acceptable forms of identification.

Secondary Identification

The secondary form of identification, for Virginia residents and residents of other states, must show an address identical to that shown on the primary form of identification. Some acceptable forms of secondary ID are:

* a current lease
    * evidence of currently paid personal property tax or real estate tax
    * a current utility or telephone bill
    * a current voter registration card
    * a current bank check
    * a current passport
    * a current automobile registration
    * a current hunting or fishing license

Military Personnel identification

Active military personnel permanently stationed in Virginia are treated as Virginia residents for the purchase of a handgun. Identification and residency are established by the following:

A military photo-identification card issued by the United States Department of Defense and proof that Virginia is the permanent duty station via "signed and current" military assignment orders is acceptable identification and residency documentation to establish military personnel as residents of Virginia.
    A member of the United States Armed Forces, serving on active duty, whose permanent duty station is located within Virginia, but who dwells in another state, is a ďresidentĒ of the Commonwealth of Virginia for purposes of purchasing a firearm.

If permanently assigned to a mobile unit in Virginia, and the homeport is listed as Virginia, the transaction may be processed as a Virginia resident the same as any other permanent military assignment to Virginia supported by military assignment orders. The individual is treated as a non-Virginia resident if the homeport is listed as any place other than Virginia.

Individuals retired from military service are subject to the same identification and residency requirements as any other person wishing to purchase a firearm; i.e., a primary and secondary form of ID.
    -------------------

Hope this helps,
    DJ

Thank you for the info, it did help, and then I kept reading. I am not personally station in the state of virginia. I grew up there and am temporarily working there for a month as well as visiting family. I am currently a resident of alaska. I saw that the prices on firearms are considerably cheaper as well as selection more plentiful so I hoped to save a buck or two checking a couple souvenirs on the plane ride home. I guess I'll just go home and buy my guns the good old fashioned way. There is just something exciting about not having to wait 8 months for a new AR
    Sig 229

Someone with more knowledge than me please chime in if I'm wrong, but a long gun is a long gun-- you should be able to buy an AR in VA as a non-resident, just not a handgun.

DJ

Couldn't you buy the handgun in VA and have the FFL ship it to a FFL in AK? Not sure if VA law frowns on this but isn't that basically how purchasing a handgun on the internet works?
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by AKSig View Post
    Hello everyone I've been lurking for a while[the master holster list is a great resource] But the time has come where I actually need to participate. I live on a small island in alaska and I have so far nothing but appreciation for alaska guns laws. I'm and temporarily in VA for a school and have been made googly eyed by the prices here. I have looked and looked but I cannot find a solid source of information on the laws in the state for out of state[tad] military. I am legally allowed to purchase a firearm in every state I know of yet for some reason I think it cannot be that easy. If anyone has can point me toward some legislation that would be awesome.
    See LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-308.2:2

Looking at the law below, I think you can purchase a rifle or shotgun in VA, but handguns need to go through your home state (AK) FFL.

To quote LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-308.2:2
    5. Notwithstanding any other provisions of this section, rifles and shotguns may be purchased by persons who are citizens of the United States or persons lawfully admitted for permanent residence but residents of other states under the terms of subsections A (my comment: filling out the firearm transfer form) and B (my comment: background check) upon furnishing the dealer with proof of citizenship or status as a person lawfully admitted for permanent residence and one photo-identification form issued by a governmental agency of the person's state of residence and one other form of identification determined to be acceptable by the Department of Criminal Justice Services.
    C. No dealer shall sell, rent, trade or transfer from his inventory any firearm, except when the transaction involves a rifle or a shotgun and can be accomplished pursuant to the provisions of subdivision B 5 to any person who is not a resident of Virginia unless he has first obtained from the Department of State Police a report indicating that a search of all available criminal history record information has not disclosed that the person is prohibited from possessing or transporting a firearm under state or federal law. The dealer shall obtain the required report by mailing or delivering the written consent form required under subsection A to the State Police within 24 hours of its execution. If the dealer has complied with the provisions of this subsection and has not received the required report from the State Police within 10 days from the date the written consent form was mailed to the Department of State Police, he shall not be deemed in violation of this section for thereafter completing the sale or transfer.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Good find thanks guys. That will make things much easier
    Sig 229

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Those laws mention dealers. What about private citizen sales?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Those laws mention dealers. What about private citizen sales?
    I have no idea....recommend going through an FFL? Anything else I could suggest might not be proper.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Links