Texas-

This is a discussion on Texas- within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; These two bills are important for Texas CHL Holders. If you are a Texas resident, please take action with your representatives. Find your reps here ...

Thread: Texas-

Texas-

These two bills are important for Texas CHL Holders. If you are a Texas resident, please take action with your representatives. Find your reps here

House
    Texas House of Representatives

Senate
    The Texas State Senate: Current Members of the Texas Senate

S.B. 1164 & H.B. 1893- (the house and senate versions) is a bill which would permit holders to carry on college campuses.

You can follow 1164 here Texas Legislature Online - 81(R) History for SB 1164

You can follow 1893 here
    Texas Legislature Online - 81(R) Authors for HB 1893

*The senate version of this bill (1164) is in the State Affairs committee which is chaired by Robert Duncan of Lubbock. Duncan has advised through his staff that he is opposed to this bill. Particularly if you are a constituent of Duncan he needs to hear from you. As the chair he is very powerful and can practically kill the bill singlehandedly

S.B. 730 & H.B. 1301- the "parking lot" bill. Would allow employees to lock their handguns in their vehicles during work. Also provides legal protection to businesses, it does not mandate that employers allow concealed carry in the workplace. It simply prevents you from being disarmed to and from work because your employer posts the parking lot.

730 was voted unanimously out of committee on 3/23 which bodes well for it, you can follow it here
    Texas Legislature Online - 81(R) History for SB 730

You can track 1301 here
    Texas Legislature Online - 81(R) History for HB 1301

Do what you can in a polite and professional manner to support these two pieces of legislation. Please do not blanket email the entire house or senate, focus on your representatives. Thank you.

2. Remove Ads

Will do, emails being sent in support.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Thanks for posting, I'm on it too.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

SB 730 has cleared the senate, NOT the house yet. Keep working your reps.

Keep working both on the Campus Carry bill.

I'm on it! thanks for the post
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

Sorry, but it's one of the few things I don't agree with. I'm about as pro-gun/pro-carry as they come, but above all I believe in individual rights, especially property rights. These "parking lot" bills irritate the piss out of me. YOU always have a choice. You don't have to go to that posted employers lot. Don't like that it's posted? Fine. You have options.
    1. Convince the employer to change the rules.
    2. Find a new employer...
    3. or better yet, start your own company and set your own rules.

I don't own a business, but I suspect at some point in the future I may very well head down that path and let me put it this way...My property = My rules. That said, I would allow carry no matter what, but again...MY RULES. Don't like it? Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Sorry, but it's one of the few things I don't agree with. I'm about as pro-gun/pro-carry as they come, but above all I believe in individual rights, especially property rights. These "parking lot" bills irritate the piss out of me. YOU always have a choice. You don't have to go to that posted employers lot. Don't like that it's posted? Fine. You have options.
    1. Convince the employer to change the rules.
    2. Find a new employer...
    3. or better yet, start your own company and set your own rules.

I don't own a business, but I suspect at some point in the future I may very well head down that path and let me put it this way...My property = My rules. That said, I would allow carry no matter what, but again...MY RULES. Don't like it? Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.
    I agree with you here. I like my guns, my choice, my time, but I will not impose my will or sign onto a bill that imposes my will on someone else or I am no better then the anti-gunner trying to impose theirs on me in this respect.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

VIP Member

Pack, you are partially right, but missing an important point

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Sorry, but it's one of the few things I don't agree with. ..

Pack, you are partially right, but missing what I think is an important point.

I am in full agreement with you regarding the right of an employer to keep guns out of the building. A parking lot is a little different. Yes, it is owned by the company, but it has a public flavor to it--like your front yard; people with front yards who live off city streets can't control what goes on forward of the building line.

The other angle is that the employer's will also exposes some to harm.

What about the person who truly needs the weapon while traveling to and from work because of threats made? The employer might be able to provide armed security on site if is a large company, but it can't protect on the drive home.

Like most things involving principal, compromises which recognize we live in a real and practical world are often necessary.

Hopyard,

Why can't I control what happens in my front yard beyond the building line. It is in fact my property, and I control it. If your there and I tell you to leave you are in violation of the law if you continue to stay in my yard. If your there after dark and doing something that falls under criminal mischief, heck I can shoot you for it.

What this will do if passed is mandate that employers who want to keep thier property free of guns/ammo ect, will have to build a separate parking lot outside the secure area for those individuals to park who want to keep a gun in their car.

As a business owner I am torn by this type of legislation. I personally would not take the stance that I don't want you to bring your gun to work or have it in your car. However I don't like the idea that the gov would override my rights as the owner of the property.

There are in fact instances where people were fired or pissed off in some way, that went to thier cars, got a weapon and returned to work to shoot someone. I assume the companies that don't want guns on thier property are using these instances as justification for thier decisions. Right wrong or whatever, it is private property belonging to the company. The employee is there at the request of the employer, not the other way around.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Pack, you are partially right, but missing what I think is an important point.

I am in full agreement with you regarding the right of an employer to keep guns out of the building. A parking lot is a little different. Yes, it is owned by the company, but it has a public flavor to it--like your front yard; people with front yards who live off city streets can't control what goes on forward of the building line.

The other angle is that the employer's will also exposes some to harm.

What about the person who truly needs the weapon while traveling to and from work because of threats made? The employer might be able to provide armed security on site if is a large company, but it can't protect on the drive home.

Like most things involving principal, compromises which recognize we live in a real and practical world are often necessary.
    Again, YOU HAVE A CHOICE. And more importantly the property owner has a choice. Once the dotted line is signed by the government, choice has been erased. My freedoms should not come at the expense of others, nor others at the expense of mine.

As to the public flavor comments, I've heard them before. Doesn't make it any more right. If I own property, it's MINE. PERIOD. I don't give a flying monkeys rollerskates what you or joe blow donut eater wants or doesn't want to do on my property. Sorry, don't mean to get heated AT you, more at the issue at hand.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

H.b. 1301

The Texas parking lot bill in the house committee is in some trouble. We need either Rep. Hubert Vo, or Rep. Tyron Lewis, to vote with us to get it out of committee. If they represent you, they need a phone call quickly.

Vo: District: 149
    Capitol Office: EXT E2.208
    Capitol Address: P.O. Box 2910
    Austin, TX 78768
    Capitol Phone: (512) 463-0568
    District Address: 7474 South Kirkwood, Suite 202
    Houston, TX 77072
    District Phone: (281) 988-0212

Lewis: District: 81
    Capitol Office: EXT E2.812
    Capitol Address: P.O. Box 2910
    Austin, TX 78768
    Capitol Phone: (512) 463-0546
    District Address: 3800 E. 42nd Street, Suite 500
    Odessa, TX 79762
    District Phone: (432) 363-1300

The fact this passed the senate is irrelevant if it dies in this committee in the House...do what you can, now.

Wish I could help

I am in Joe Drivers district and know from experience he supports all such bills other than open carry.

Searn

VIP Member

Depends on City Code

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Hopyard,

Why can't I control what happens in my front yard beyond the building line. .
    It all depends on your city code. In some cities you can't fence in the area in front of your property line. Someone walking to your door isn't a trespasser.
    You can't let your grass over grow indefinitely or fail to mow it, or in some places cut the dang tree down without a permit. You can't put an "out building" on your front lawn.

Right or wrong, that is the way it is. It is publicly accessible. A kid chasing a ball or a kitten isn't trespassing. You don't have the same more complete control you have within a fenced back yard.

Links