NRA and WA

NRA and WA

This is a discussion on NRA and WA within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I can not abide by this desition. NRA-ILA :: NRA Files Suit Against Washington State for Second Amendment Violations The National Rifle Association (NRA) today ...

Thread: NRA and WA

NRA and WA

I can not abide by this desition.
    NRA-ILA :: NRA Files Suit Against Washington State for Second Amendment Violations

The National Rifle Association (NRA) today (Tuesday, November 04, 2008) filed suit against the State of Washington charging it in violation of the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution by preventing firearm ownership to non-United States citizens legally residing in the U.S.

can you tell me HOW you can "violate the Second Amendment rights of a non-United States citizens". by defanition that is not posable.

some of what the NRA does makes no sence to me.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    I can not abide by this desition.
    NRA-ILA :: NRA Files Suit Against Washington State for Second Amendment Violations

The National Rifle Association (NRA) today (Tuesday, November 04, 2008) filed suit against the State of Washington charging it in violation of the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution by preventing firearm ownership to non-United States citizens legally residing in the U.S.

can you tell me HOW you can "violate the Second Amendment rights of a non-United States citizens". by defanition that is not posable.

some of what the NRA does makes no sence to me.
    ? As far as I know the rights given by the constitution apply to EVERYONE on US grounds. Right to a lawyer, due process and so on..... that gets extended to 2nd amendment.

Not sure if you realize but there are a lot of foreign nationals in US that have what's called a green card. They've lived here for ages, and will live for quite a bit longer as they have chosen to call US their home. They might or might not become US citizens down the road (some of them will not want to as that would make them loose their retirement $ from their own country) but at the moment, they are here legally and pay taxes and do everything that a citizen does but vote. Heck, some of them even serve in the US armed forces.

VIP Member
    Many Resident Aliens legally carry in Florida and do so with pride and obeying the law.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote- As far as I know the rights given by the constitution.... -End Quote

Our rights are God given, not bestowed by the Government. The Constitution spells out rights the Gov't can NOT muck around with.

I see your point but I still think that there are much larger fish to fry then this. I would rather see the NRA go after Mayor Nickols (Seattle) and his no guns on city property rulling that is not Constitutional acording the Washington Constitution.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I see your point but I still think that there are much larger fish to fry then this. I would rather see the NRA go after Mayor Nickols (Seattle) and his no guns on city property rulling that is not Constitutional acording the Washington Constitution.
    Well... but look at it this way: it's easier to prove that gun ownership applies equally to both citizens as well as residents under 2A. Then you can go in for the kill and say: now that we acknowledged 2A lets look at the rest.

I agree with Huzar there. Why should someone from another country who is not a citizen be allowed to risk his life for OUR country and then we won't let him own a gun in our country to defend himself? That sir is outrageous. If you are here legally then you should be allowed to own and carry.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

VIP Member
    and guess which way they will vote once they acquire citizenship?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    As a brief background on the issue: the Alien Firearm License was issued by the Dept of Licensing. The DOL (in Washington) is not a law enforcement agency and the FBI would not release their background check information to non-LE agencies, thereby stopping any criminal checks before the licenses were issued and stopping the issuing of licenses.

You will notice that the article was from November. I recently saw a notice that they are issuing again. I don't know which end (DOL or FBI) changed, but apparently something did.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    As a brief background on the issue: the Alien Firearm License was issued by the Dept of Licensing. The DOL (in Washington) is not a law enforcement agency and the FBI would not release their background check information to non-LE agencies, thereby stopping any criminal checks before the licenses were issued and stopping the issuing of licenses.

You will notice that the article was from November. I recently saw a notice that they are issuing again. I don't know which end (DOL or FBI) changed, but apparently something did.
    ok, I can see a grean card legal alien having a permit. Does the grean card expire? Is there a renual part of this? I know nothing about the grean card program.

ok, I can see a grean card legal alien having a permit. Does the grean card expire? Is there a renual part of this? I know nothing about the grean card program.
    Green Card (issued to resident aliens) expires I believe every 8 years. For the most part the renewal is just a formality unless the renewing alien has a record that makes them persona non grata.

Quote Originally Posted by Huzar View Post
    Green Card (issued to resident aliens) expires I believe every 8 years. For the most part the renewal is just a formality unless the renewing alien has a record that makes them persona non grata.
    ok, next step. If they are persona non grata, do they get deported and permit revoked OR do they get to stay under the radar with a deportation order pending and a permit still active?

ok, next step. If they are persona non grata, do they get deported and permit revoked OR do they get to stay under the radar with a deportation order pending and a permit still active?
    I have no clue. I believe they are given a certain time period to appeal their stay or leave (they are supposed to start the renewal process before their cards expire). From what I know, there are none that have been denied renewal (though it probably occurs, I just don't know anyone that had that happen) and those who would get denied were already in jail and potentially were in the process of being deported.

Look at it the other way: if you are a citizen and commit a crime that should result you not being allowed to have a permit would they know to come and pull it or would they yank it on renewal?

Links