Bill calls for tracking of large-capacity weapon magazines

This is a discussion on Bill calls for tracking of large-capacity weapon magazines within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.mercurynews.com/crime/ci_11995689 Cop deaths show struggle of keeping felons gunless Was the felon / parolee using a firearm registered to the parolee? How would a serialized ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill calls for tracking of large-capacity weapon magazines

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime/ci_11995689

Cop deaths show struggle of keeping felons gunless

Was the felon / parolee using a firearm registered to the parolee? How would a serialized magazines have prevented the shootings? What stops a criminal from just altering the serial number (scratch it off, etc).

They are criminals. They are going to break the law.

I wish there was accountability. I don't mind those who have anti-gun views, but it is unhonorable to sensationalize your political views for a solution that makes it appear you are doing something about crime, that does nothing at all.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Yep.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

jfl
    We are going to see more and more of this non-sense !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Rationality goes out the window when you become a politician...

You'd think politicians would spend time and money on other important issues like

- creating jobs for people
    - getting people into affordable homes
    - fixing the bung economy

The other thing I find funny is magazine size restrictions, last time I checked I could reload a fresh mag and drop the slide in under 2 seconds, so 10 rounds isnt going to stop someone from just buying more magazines.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Crapola.

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime/ci_...nclick_check=1

By Steven Harmon
    MediaNews Sacramento Bureau
    Posted: 03/25/2009 0507 PM PDT

SACRAMENTO — Ammunition magazines with a capacity of 10 rounds or more — the kind that Oakland parolee Lovelle Mixon used to kill two of four police officers — would fall under a stricter tracking system under legislation proposed Wednesday by two East Bay lawmakers.

Law enforcement officials currently have few tools to keep the dangerous ammunition devices out of the hands of criminals, said Sen. Loni Hancock, D-Berkeley, the author of the bill.

"This horrible tragedy will pinpoint for us some of the holes in our gun laws," said Hancock, a member of the Senate Public Safety Committee. "There are a number of lessons from this, and I'm prepared to learn them all. We may need to have a hearing on the status of gun control. I'm very committed to looking at this."

Assault weapons have been banned in California since 1999, and owners who possessed them before the ban are required to register their weapons. But large-capacity magazines are not required to be registered — because it was previously impossible to stamp serial numbers on them. Technology is now available to imprint serials on the magazines and enable law enforcement to track them through a registration system, Hancock said.

Mixon set off one of the deadliest police shootings in California history after he shot two officers with a handgun shortly after being pulled over Saturday in what had been described as a routine traffic stop.

Mixon fled to his sister's apartment and shot two more officers — this time with an assault weapon — before being tracked down and killed in an exchange of gunfire.

All told, five officers were shot. One was not seriously hurt, but four were killed.

The large-capacity magazines make firearms — particularly assault weapons — that much more of a threat because of the ability of shooters to fire more than 10 rounds without reloading.

"At a time like this, it's important to find out what's not working," said Assemblyman Sandre Swanson, D-Oakland, a co-author of the legislation. "This could be the beginning of a new era of urban conflict. It's an important warning sign to prepare ourselves for future conflicts that could expose officers and our community to extreme dangers. It's very sobering. We have a clear responsibility to start taking action."

The officers' slayings have also fueled debate on issues such as flaws in the state's parole system. U.S. Sen. Diane Feinstein, D-Calif., has also said that Congress needs to reopen the debate on the assault weapon ban, which President George W. Bush allowed to lapse.

Reach Steven Harmon at 916-441-2101 or sharmon@bayareanewsgroup.com
    The officers' slayings have also fueled debate on issues such as flaws in the state's parole system.
    I'd start here rather than trying to serialize mags and ban high-cap mags.

They haven't even laid 'em to rest and they're out there blaming high cap mags.
    I was shocked at first - but then Grady posted the text. Of course Californistanian Politicians are behind it.No surprise.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    because it was previously impossible to stamp serial numbers on them. Technology is now available to imprint serials on the magazines and enable law enforcement to track them through a registration system, Hancock said.
    So old technology was able to stamp things like manufacturer names, factory locations, "For L.E./Military use only", etc, but wasn't able to stamp serial numbers? Those pesky numbers are so hard to stamp compared to letters...

NO! They weren't stamped with serial numbers because it's UNNECESSARY! We've ALWAYS had the "technology" to stamp them, just like any other serialized part.

Someone is going to believe this load of bull honky and demand we use this "new technology" now that it's available. Garbage.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Someone pass the duct tape, I want to keep my head in one piece and I feel the pressure rising.

It's like the numbskulls pushing for all the bailout bills that say "we have to do something because something is better than nothing".

I liken it to a car teetering on the edge of the Grand Canyon. Do you put the car in drive and hit the gas, causing yourself to plunge into the abyss, just because the transmission is broken and you can't put it in reverse?

It's the same logic, or would that be lack of logic? Yes. Yes. That would be it!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Can they really keep track of all this? I don't think they can get the weapons out of our prisons let alone keep track of what's on the street.

I know most of you already have a solid grasp on that issues, but I'm just ranting. Some of the articles I've read since November have me at a profound lost. It is like the politicians from historically anti-gun states are making anti-gun statements without even making an attempt to make a case.

I really don't get the point, at all, of requiring , serialized mags to be registered. There is no logic to it at all. If the criminal (in this case a felon on parole) aquires the firearm, I guess somewhere along the way someone could alter or rub out the number on the mag.

I hate to admit it, but I can think of reasons I would want to have the factory mark my mags. Just for me to track. As is, I've scratched, almost unseen roman numerals in them. Now I have a little anxiety that I would not have had a problem with factory serialized mags 24 hours ago.

Unlike a few of you, I think firearm registration for pistols and say select-fire and full-auto firearms is a reasonable regulation. In the back of my mind, I do have concerns that it could be used as the first step toward confication. However, I'm just willing to trust my government enough to go to my local PD and register my pistols. Now, I don't agree with firearm bans (and for that matter, cost prohibitive licensing, a background check and a small processing fee should be all that is required). I don't think this will prevent a criminal from acquiring a firearm, but I guess it does hinder them from walking out of a gunshop with a firearm, and helps track down the history of the firearm and legal ownership. I'm stating this just to point out I'm not at the far right concerning firearm regulation.

However, what stuck out to me was the complete stupidity of suggesting a serialized mag would have prevented the deaths of two LEO who were killed by a felon on parole using an unregistered firearm. What is going on in CA that a politician can even make this statement without the press just being all over the politician as to how it would have stopped anything. Maybe there is something not yet released about this case (like maybe the gun was registered but someone smuggled in illegal mags). Yes, it is all stupid, but at least it would make sense in view of the laws on the books.

If I was anti-gun, I would be mad at this politician for making such a stupid, cowardly, statement. If you believe in it, just say, we need to ban all firearms. Ya, as an owner of firearms I disagree with the statement, but at least I know you were standing up for your beliefs, and not just using the deaths to make political gain.THE FELON WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE THE FIREARM IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

I think what I'm most sincerely angry about is I'm lost thinking about their idiotic statements, and all the while, two LEO lost their lives.

In summary, for the first time, I'm just against something, because anti-gun is for it.
    Last edited by Thanis; March 26th, 2009 at 03:07 AM.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

In a sane world, a scum bag with such a large number of felony convictions would have actually been in prison and not out in the world doing more evil.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Wait a minute.

Didn't the BG fire just two shots from his pistol and three from the rifle, all scoring hits?

So even if he had had a ten round 'low capacity' magazine he'd still have had reserve enough to double if not triple his hits per his demonstrated accuracy.
    Using these people own logic then it would be most appropriate to ban all magazines external and internal too (which commonly support as many as five rounds) and press us back in time to bolt action single shot rifles only.

Just like the Remy 700 that the TX tower sniper used to kill 17 people and wound another 20+ using just an ordinary hunting rifle...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links