WV Delegates too special to wait???

This is a discussion on WV Delegates too special to wait??? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Register-Herald, Beckley, West Virginia - Delegates want to bear arms without permits Delegates want to bear arms without permits By Mannix Porterfield Register-Herald reporter ...

Thread: WV Delegates too special to wait???

The Register-Herald, Beckley, West Virginia - Delegates want to bear arms without permits

Delegates want to bear arms without permits

By Mannix Porterfield
    Register-Herald reporter

CHARLESTON — Controversy often inflames passions, and mindful of this lawless age and a propensity of some in society to go over the edge, a few lawmakers want the right to arm themselves without a weapons permit.

One sponsor of such a House bill, in fact, Delegate Mark Hunt, D-Kanawha, relayed a personal threat directed at him and his family, penned by the hand of a convict.

A self-described “monster,” the man behind bars warned of what he intended to do to Hunt and his children.

Hunt decided to leave nothing to chance and get a firearm, but was told he had to wait during a two-month concealed weapon application process.

Despite the written threat, the man was released, but authorities picked him up a day later.

Hunt is a co-sponsor of HB3248, aimed at adding members of the Legislature to a list of officials and others who are allowed to skip the waiting period and carry a firearm.

Delegate David Walker, D-Clay, the lead sponsor, says he has never been threatened, but if he were, wouldn’t hesitate to arm himself.

“I ride around with my legislative license plate on my vehicles,” he said Friday.

“I walk into businesses with my name tag on. I wear it all day. I don’t think about it.”

Walker pointed out lawmakers often deal with controversial matters that can set certain people off and provoke them to violent episodes.

“I don’t have a concealed weapon, and no desire to carry one,” he said. “But I do believe we have the right to bear arms. I’m a firm believer in that. If the situation would arise and somebody would threaten me, I would feel better if I didn’t have to wait nine or 10 weeks to get a permit. I could just pick up my pistol, put it in my car and drive down the road without the fear of being prosecuted if I was caught.”

Besides Walker and Hunt, the bill is being sponsored by Delegates Tom Louisos, D-Fayette; Margaret Smith, D-Lewis; Daniel Hall, D-Wyoming; Stan Shaver, D-Preston; and Doug Skaff Jr., D-Kanawha.

In statute now, exceptions are provided to anyone toting a firearm on his own premises, gun club owners traveling to and from target shooting exercises, law enforcement, Division of Corrections employees, members of the military, circuit judges, federal law enforcement personnel and out-of-staters who hold a valid concealed weapon in their home jurisdictions.

His email mhunt@markahunt.com

I hope anyone from WV will email the delegate to tell him just how special you think he is.

Quote Originally Posted by HKR View Post
    I hope anyone from WV will email the delegate to tell him just how special you think he is.
    His thinking is spot-on. Being armed would be safer, should crime occur.

The thing is, though, THIS APPLIES TO EVERYONE who has ever faced a crime going down. When crime happens, there's one thing that matters: you're either armed or not, prepared or not, able or not. Being armed can help in the defense, obviously. And, yes, if he's seeing the light bulb turn on about the simplicity of that, then he should put his money where his mouth is and promote the appropriate change in the state law.

However, I absolutely disagree with a legislator voting himself such privileges when the citizens themselves have no such recourse and are still treated like felons if they dare to arm themselves against crime without going through the state-mandated, bureaucratic hoops.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Hypocrite.

Let him live under the same laws the common citizen lives under. If Mr. Special thinks he shouldn't have to wait "nine or 10 weeks" for his permit, let him introduce a bill to change it for everyone, not only the "elites".

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Hypocrite.

Let him live under the same laws the common citizen lives under. If Mr. Special thinks he shouldn't have to wait "nine or 10 weeks" for his permit, let him introduce a bill to change it for everyone, not only the "elites".
    AMEN!
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

well, now he sees what it means to be able to defend himself and be put out for 2 months before he can legally carry. Too bad, give him an all day sucker for body armour. Forget this criminal in jail making threats at him, "WE THE PEOPLE" are rubbin elbows everyday with these cons and in jeopardy. I say make them play by the rules they set for everybody else.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Maybe he should write legislation to cover ex-lawmakers so he won't have to wait once he's out of office. Wait, how about legislation to cover his whole family too? Oh and lets not forget his staff.

I just sent him an email suggesting that perhaps all citizens should be able to avail themselves of this opportunity.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Nothing surprising here. The laws only apply to the common person, not to the elite in government.

The real purpose of this has nothing to do with the 9-10 week wait. The real issue is that Disarmament Democrats do not want it a matter of public record that they own and carry guns themselves while trying to denying the right to others.

Well, the guy has a few options: He could open carry immediately(unless he's in a town with one of those grandfathered OC bans), or turn WV into Vermont-style carry. It'll solve the equal protection dilemma with legislators trying to get permits faster than everyone else, and he'll be able to CC immediately, no wait.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Sponsored Links