I thought this was kinda cool

I thought this was kinda cool

This is a discussion on I thought this was kinda cool within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I sent my representative an e-mail expressing my feelings towards some of the legislation currently being considered and I got this obviously canned response, ...

Cool I thought this was kinda cool

So I sent my representative an e-mail expressing my feelings towards some of the legislation currently being considered and I got this obviously canned response, but I was somewhat impressed anyway.

Thank you for contacting my office regarding Gun Control. Your views are important, and I appreciate you taking the time to share them with me.

Like most Americans, I am horrified by the gun crimes committed against innocent people. However, a lot of people believe that stronger gun control laws would have prevented these crimes from happening. I believe the solution to increased crime is not to eliminate firearms - a criminal will get hold of a gun whether it is by legal or illegal means. The solution is to resolutely enforce our criminal laws and to give our citizens proper guidance and training so that they are familiar with firearms and feel comfortable using them in self-defense should the need arise.

I believe very strongly that law-abiding citizens have the right to carry firearms as a means of self-defense, a right guaranteed to them by the Second Amendment of the Constitution. If we are to ensure the safety of our communities, it is of the utmost importance that citizens, have reasonable access to means of self-protection when necessary.

That said, I believe that it is the responsibility of each individual gun owner to comply with federal, state and local regulations regarding gun licensing and safety. I also support the use of instant background checks to minimize the possibilities for guns to end up in the hands of criminals. I vote to enforce responsible gun ownership and to preserve the rights of the Second Amendment whenever I have the opportunity, and I will be sure to keep your views in mind when considering legislation related to firearm possession and use in the future.

Please continue to share your thoughts on issues that are important to you. If you are interested, please feel free to visit my website - U.S. Representative Sue Myrick - and sign up for my eNewsletter. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you in Congress.

Sincerely,

Sue Myrick
    Member of Congress

Great response. She knows what she believes, she sounds committed to her beliefs, and I agree with what she says.

I'd love to get even a canned statement like that from my reps.

If only more of our elected officials were this ready to defend the constitution.

By their fruits ye shall know them.

What fruit has she produced?? other than a letter?

well at least she is spouting the right rhetoric to her constituents... hopefully she is fighting the fight on the floor!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

If she's for real and this isn't just rhetoric I would say she looks like a a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Firkin View Post
    If only more of our elected officials were this ready to defend the constitution.
    One would think a blood oath on the first day of office at least would be considered when they lie, cheat, steal in direct contravention of this oath:
    "I, (name of Member), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."
    At minimum, one would think that the People would loudly and vociferously remind them of their oaths when they misstep and the boot strikes the shoulder rather than the back of the neck. Apathetic group that we've largely become, I have long ceased being surprised at what occurs on a daily basis "on the Hill."

The 2A never had it so good, and yet it's threatened daily by new federal futzing that is hoped to be passed before anyone notices. The right to bear arms shall not be infringed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links