Sometimes 2A Discussions Can Hurt You

This is a discussion on Sometimes 2A Discussions Can Hurt You within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was out at dinner last evening entertaining three representatives of our Global Safety Team who were in our building to perform a safety audit. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes 2A Discussions Can Hurt You

I was out at dinner last evening entertaining three representatives of our Global Safety Team who were in our building to perform a safety audit. Myself and the three other attendees from our building regularly go shooting together. Well, after a couple of drinks (I wasn't carrying) I started discussing guns, gun control, and the 2A. This female I was talking to doesn't like guns but said she grew up in a house full of guns as her brothers and father had them. As I went on to try to change her way of thinking a somewhat surprising thing happened. I didn't sense she was getting annoyed until she said, "Your score already went down, do you want it to go lower?"

Anybody want to guess what the moral of this story is?

VIP Member
    Did she say why? Some people you just have to let go, the dark side has them.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    I didn't sense she was getting annoyed until she said, "Your score already went down, do you want it to go lower?"
    Wow.

Anybody want to guess what the moral of this story is?
    Be guarded when talking with inspectors/auditors, or anyone else work-related that you don't know well.

Case in point: Two years ago, we had 2 inspectors spend a couple days with us. We did a lot of traveling, even spent the night in another town. I watched what I said, and felt them out.

Then AFTER they had gathered all the info they came to gather, I opened up a bit to them. One guy had been a federal officer somewhere down in Texas and had carried a gun similar to one I had.

And AFTER the outbrief, I shared some internet references with them as they headed to the airport. The point is, I waited to share anything with them until I felt them out, and anything that could be considered possibly revealing until the outbrief was over.

During the trip, they had no idea how protected they were, but I suppose they have a strong suspicion now that I had them covered. One of my final comments to them was, "The number one priority for us all is that we make it home to our families safely each night." The look on their faces told me they understood and agreed.

I had another inspector this year, just a few weeks ago. I felt him out, and while he believes in people having guns available at their homes, he wasn't warm to CCW. So I didn't discuss that any further.

So, was she serious? Did she mark your company down because the thinks there is "an increased possibility of gun violence"? I hope this doesn't reflect negatively upon you from your boss's perspective. If he doesn't know you carry, any chance he will single you out now and direct a search of you and your vehicle? Or is that not an issue?

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Your 'score' ? Like were you trying to take her home or is she refering to some audit of the company and that your personal stance on guns reflects on how they rate the company?
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

"Your score?"

Who-in-the-bleep does she think she is?

We all posted at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    Your 'score' ? Like were you trying to take her home or is she refering to some audit of the company and that your personal stance on guns reflects on how they rate the company?
    +1
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

She just let you know how she lacks objectivity, taking out on your professional life for your personal beliefs. She obviously can't separate her own personal beliefs from her work and I would talk to her supervisor. Good luck.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Wow.
    So, was she serious? Did she mark your company down because the thinks there is "an increased possibility of gun violence"? I hope this doesn't reflect negatively upon you from your boss's perspective. If he doesn't know you carry, any chance he will single you out now and direct a search of you and your vehicle? Or is that not an issue?
    I don't know if she was serious or it was just her way of getting me to shut my trap. The ironic part is we sailed through the inspection during the day and they said we were one of the best facilities they've seen--globally. The one guy she was with was talking with my boss about how he just bought his wife a 9mm because he travels overseas a bunch. My boss was there and if we get dinged on our score he won't be happy. However, I go shooting with him a bunch and he is very pro 2A.

It was my bad that I let my 2A passion run wild. I'll surely feel people out that can detrimentally affect my job in the future!

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    That's what I'm wondering as well. If she's marking down your company based on statements made AFTER an inspection at a gathering AWAY from the work site, then I suspect she is in violation of the procedures governing such an inspection. You could file a protest if indeed your score has reflected her feelings after the inspection vs. her observations made during the inspection.

We probably won't know the score for awhile until they get back to corporate and tally the results. I'll just hold my breath for awhile. When you see me turning blue, just kick me in the gut so it forces me to take a deep breath.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    That's what I'm wondering as well. If she's marking down your company based on statements made AFTER an inspection at a gathering AWAY from the work site, then I suspect she is in violation of the procedures governing such an inspection. You could file a protest if indeed your score has reflected her feelings after the inspection vs. her observations made during the inspection.
    Although I agree with the above, in this economy and our company cutting jobs, filing a protest would just put me on the radar even brighter.

The one guy she was with was talking with my boss about how he just bought his wife a 9mm because he travels overseas a bunch.
    I can see why you joined that conversation. I'd have probably joined in also, at least to some degree.

My boss was there and if we get dinged on our score he won't be happy. However, I go shooting with him a bunch and he is very pro 2A.
    Perhaps no harm, no foul then, assuming she isn't an anti and tries to stick a knife in you and break it off because she doesn't like gun owners.

Sounds like you have a cool boss.

Sounds to me like she had an interest in you but then your chances of taking her home were being diminished by what she thought was your big mouth LOL
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

VIP Member
    What you suffered was nothing more than prejudice. I had a situation at work recently that really ticked me off. A guest from Europe had ordered some packages and one was missing. According to him the tracking showed it was delivered to the hotel and signed by a hotel employee but it couldn't be found. I went to talk to the guest to see if he had the tracking number available (there were a couple of boxes without any name on them) and he pulled the email on his laptop. It was from Barnes and the guest told me he ordered 50 Triple Shocks bullets for reloading back at home. We did some small talk about guns and I went back to the office to start the investigation. When I got there, I commented to my boss and supervisor that the box contained bullets and that it should be a small box. My boss jumped and said "I have that box!" and he pulled it out of a drawer. I asked him why he had it and he said that when the box was not claimed, he opened it and saw the smaller box inside labeled bullets and thought I ordered them against company regulations. Basically it was an ambush. I got angry and barely controlling myself I retorted:

1) I am NOT that stupid. I am not going to order anything and have it delivered at work, specially with the track record of some of the idiots working with me and how they care about incoming shipments. Plus I will not order anything that might compromise me at work.
    2) The box contained bullets, NOT LOADED AMMO (I opened the inside box and showed it to him) and I told her he made a fuss over 50 pieces of inert copper. Plus, there are NO company regulations against bullets or even ammunition and I'd be glad to show him the employee handbook and point out the corresponding paragraph about forbidden items.
    3) If he had a suspicion about me, how come he just didn't simply ASK ME or better yet, read the darn invoice that was inside the box which was in the name of the guest?

He shut the heck up while I picked up the box and delivered it to the guest. Let's say that the words Hostile Workplace Environment crossed my mind.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Some good news here. I just got an email today from the Vice President of Operations and the President of the company. They were very please that the safety team said we were the branch that the company should model their safety efforts after. So I guess there was some other motive for her statements. Now I got to put up with everyone commenting about sneaking off to her hotel room to help our score. Some guys just don't get it!

Stay armed...never argue with ignorance...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

BAC
    I dunno, my first impression about the "score" was slightly different from the general consensus here.

Edit: Props to AllAmerican.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links