We need more leaders like this one

We need more leaders like this one

This is a discussion on We need more leaders like this one within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Representative Todd Tiahrt of Kansas this week co-sponsored the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill (H.R. 197). This legislation recognizes that those who have a valid state-issued ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We need more leaders like this one

Thumbs up We need more leaders like this one

Representative Todd Tiahrt of Kansas this week co-sponsored the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill (H.R. 197). This legislation recognizes that those who have a valid state-issued concealed firearms permit should not have to forfeit their safety when traveling to other states. Not only does this bill protect the rights of concealed firearm permit holders, it also maintains the right of states to issue concealed weapons permits as they desire.

Congressman Todd Tiahrt : Latest News : Tiahrt Co-sponsors 2nd Amendment Self Defense Bill

VIP Member
    That sounds like a good change to me
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Agreed.

But with the current anti-gun administration and congress we have, Mr. Tiahrt and his fellows have an uphill battle on their hands. Don't think this will be won easily.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Cool

Federal laws would trump individual state statutes? Are you sure that's what you want? What about states rights?

the current "ideology" behind state reciprocity is "if it's as hard or harder to get licensed in your state, then you're recognized in this state." like Alaska reciprocates with everyone else (right?) because it's so easy to apply there, but pennsylvania doesn't... so on and so forth. Will the nation-wide reciprocity mandate a nationwide standard on the application/test standards?
    Good Judgment comes from experience...
    ...experience comes from bad judgment.

What about Illinois and Wisconsin?

These have NO CCW and ostensibly would be required to allow non-residents to do what residents cannot. I doubt it, strongly. Until there are no rerstrictions or "infringements", there will be no common ground. 50 different laws are impossible to enforce, the CCW will never be as the drivers license is, in that the powers in control of the major metropolitan areas are entrenched in their positions of anti and will never allow homogenous reciprocity. They fear losing their power base and control over the sheep that re-elect them.
    When I joined, I swore to protect and defend the Constitution. No one ever said I was relieved of that oath.

Quote Originally Posted by hdawson View Post
    Federal laws would trump individual state statutes? Are you sure that's what you want? What about states rights?
    I tend to agree. If the feds can tell the states they have to recognize other states, then why can't the feds tell the states they cannot recognize other state's CHL?

It might be a two edge sword, and we might be struck with the other edge.

Regards,
    Jerry

VIP Member

Uncle has the trump card

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    I tend to agree. If the feds can tell the states they have to recognize other states, then why can't the feds tell the states they cannot recognize other state's CHL?

It might be a two edge sword, and we might be struck with the other edge.

Regards,
    Jerry
    The Fed already tells the states what they must obey--e.g., LEOSA. I don't hear anyone argue that LEOSA should be abolished.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I want my badge (tongue and cheek)...

Rick

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    I am afraid that CWL will become a national license, if that happens the Dems can take one more step to make it almost impossible to get. While it sounds good on paper, I do not want the feds involved at all since it would backfire on all of us.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

VIP Member

Would you favor repeal of LEOSA?

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    I am afraid that CWL will become a national license, if that happens the Dems can take one more step to make it almost impossible to get. While it sounds good on paper, I do not want the feds involved at all since it would backfire on all of us.
    With respect to the last sentence above, would you favor repeal of LEOSA?

Quote Originally Posted by tamworth View Post
    the current "ideology" behind state reciprocity is "if it's as hard or harder to get licensed in your state, then you're recognized in this state." like Alaska reciprocates with everyone else (right?) because it's so easy to apply there, but pennsylvania doesn't... so on and so forth. Will the nation-wide reciprocity mandate a nationwide standard on the application/test standards?
    Not exactly? it took my 9 MONTHS to get my CC permit for New York State. ( long story as to why? )

New York State does not recognize ANYONE ELSE'S permit
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

I dont support a national CWW law. Sorry. You take one more thing from the states and then its another and another.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

it should be like a drivers license, good in all 50 states
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    it should be like a drivers license, good in all 50 states
    Sure, that would be recognition, not reciprocity. Id have no problem with that. I just have a problem with the Fed being in charge of concealed carry. All we would end up with is the same crapola they are pushing in DC right now.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links