TN Senate Bill 576 carry where alcohol is served

This is a discussion on TN Senate Bill 576 carry where alcohol is served within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Senate Bill 576, sponsored by State Senator Doug Jackson (R- 25), allows a person who has a valid Right-to-Carry permit to carry a firearm into ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TN Senate Bill 576 carry where alcohol is served

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar

TN Senate Bill 576 carry where alcohol is served

Senate Bill 576, sponsored by State Senator Doug Jackson (R- 25), allows a person who has a valid Right-to-Carry permit to carry a firearm into restaurants where alcohol may be served, as long as the permit holder is not consuming alcohol or is not otherwise prohibited by posting provisions. SB 576 has been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee. House Bill 1807, sponsored by State Representative Ben West (D-60), is the companion bill to SB 576.

I emailed Senator Jackson thanking him for sponsoring this bill, here is his response:

Thank you, Doug.
    The bill should pass out of the senate judiciary committee tomorrow and be on the senate floor for a vote on Monday.
    Doug Jackson

I encourage every current and future HCP holder in the state of Tennessee to go to this website Senate Members - TN General Assembly and email each Senator listed asking them to vote for Senate Bill 576.

2. Remove Ads

this is great. My parents live in TN and are awaiting their carry permits. I'll let them know so they can contact their reps, from what I understand....TN congress is Republican controlled so most reasonable pro-gun bills should pass!!!!
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Senior Moderator
    I hope we get this - finally!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

This is great. I have a lot of relatives in Tennessee and I'm glad to see this bill. Hope it goes through.

Where is TN_Mike....I'm sure he is excited about this...
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

My 1st grandchild (and her parents) are in TN.
    We go there often.
    It is a pain to go into a restaurant and have to disarm, even when one doesn't drink.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    Oh yeah...I'm sure he'll add his words of wisdom later tonight

Tennesseans, there is an even better bill running its course: SB1129/HB0724

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, allows persons with handgun carry permit to carry in public parks, public postsecondary institutions, and places where alcoholic beverages are being served; allows judges to carry firearms where law enforcement can carry if they have permit or appropriate training. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13 and Title 70.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaker View Post
    Tennesseans, there is an even better bill running its course: SB1129/HB0724

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, allows persons with handgun carry permit to carry in public parks, public postsecondary institutions, and places where alcoholic beverages are being served; allows judges to carry firearms where law enforcement can carry if they have permit or appropriate training. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13 and Title 70.
    That's the one I posted a thread about. This is the better bill; I doubt it will pass with the postsecondary institutions in it, but we can try.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

that second bill is nice...it might be tough to get passed, but like I said from what I understand congress is a lot more "gun friendly" than it has been in the past. I think there is still hope!!!!

I wish Alabama would jump on the open carry band wagon. Not so much so I could, just so I have the option, but that is neither here nor there.
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    That's the one I posted a thread about. This is the better bill; I doubt it will pass with the postsecondary institutions in it, but we can try.
    I don't see a logical reason to not allow it. Everyone point out that Utah allows it and...TA! DA! everything the anti-gunners said never came to pass.

I hope that it passes. I've been emailing all of the politicians about it.
    I've never understood the exceptions on carry permits. Like somehow we become different people because we're in a school, restaurant,etc. Silliness.

Distinguished Member

My Letter to My Senator on SB 576 and SB 1129

Under the Subject of: SB 576 and SB 1129 - Handgun Carry Permit

Dear Senator Harper,

A wise handgun carry policy would enable the self protection of honest citizens and minimize their vulnerability to criminals who don't heed the law. Tennessee should permit one to carry a handgun in restaurants that also serve alcohol. We who carry should not have to pre-plan our route and should not have to choose between avoiding popular businesses, public park areas, and forgoing many college offerrings and opportunities or going without self protection.

Tennesseans enjoy their right to keep and bear arms. Ensure the right of Tennesseans to self protection in their daily rounds and their free exchange of commerce. Keep Tennessee a strong defender of freedom and personal protection. Please support Senator Doug Jackson's SB 576 and Senator Mark Norris' SB 1129.

(My name)
    British Woods Dr

Nashville, TN
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Thanks so much for posting this! I've been following this from overseas but I had no idea it was moving as quickly as it is.

I'll be grateful for what we get, but I hope SB1129 / HB0724 make it as well.

I've written my Reps/Sen. 6 times in the last month and a half. Hope they listen to OUR voice.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." ~Thomas Jefferson~

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    I am very excited about this. It would be very nice to be able to go out to eat someplace besides Cracker Barrel or Subway here in Tennessee. Because that's the only places we go to eat in our state anymore. If we (wife, myself and the 5 kids) want to eat at a nicer place, one that happens to serve adult beverages, we drive down across the state line to Mississippi. Tennessee doesn't get the tax revenue from us. And I always make sure to fill the family minivan up in Mississippi too just to stick it to TN a little more.

I hope all the pro gun bills pass. Several of them, this one included, have been introduced and then killed in committee for 5 to 8 years before this.

Let's all email and call our state legislators and have them get behind these bills!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links