Health Plan Threatens to Feed Your Gun-related Data Into a Nationl Database

This is a discussion on Health Plan Threatens to Feed Your Gun-related Data Into a Nationl Database within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think what you and I are concerned about is however a little different than the issue in the OP. There, they were arguing that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Health Plan Threatens to Feed Your Gun-related Data Into a Nationl Database

Wink

I think what you and I are concerned about is however a little different than the issue in the OP.
    There, they were arguing that if you tell your doc you have guns in your home "the government" will know, and then who knows where that will lead.
    I saw the link, what with Doctors questions (which I would leave blank or not answer, if ever asked) and the dbase. Granted, a little Tin Hat......But the funded legislation could be used as the first step to gathering data that is extraneous to it's stated purpose (we've never seen that before, eh?).

I don't know that they can "manage" all of the relevant medical data in a meaningful manner yet, let alone meaningless data.

For the dbase to be useful, and save money, it has to link diagnosis, treatments and outcomes, with a bazillion parameters. Hard to see where guns rank in that snake-orgy of data.

2. Remove Ads

Done.

VIP Member

computerized medical records

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post

I don't know that they can "manage" all of the relevant medical data in a meaningful manner yet, let alone meaningless data.

For the dbase to be useful, and save money, it has to link diagnosis, treatments and outcomes, with a bazillion parameters. Hard to see where guns rank in that snake-orgy of data.
    I agree with what you wrote. There is also a different issue. How many times when we are asked to provide info with yes-no answers, or multiple choice answers, are we pigeonholed into a category that isn't quite precise for our situation. Will a dbase draw distinctions between type of guns owned? Will it draw distinctions between LEs owning guns and CCW license holders? It is doubtful to me that these distinctions will find their way into a dbase and thus there will be no usable epidemiological information to be gleaned.

I was at a docs a few years back and the guy was using a hand held data device which rather obviously was also guiding him and suggesting things to ask. At one point he sort of got frustrated with it because my rather bad (at the time) respiratory symptoms weren't fitting the little categories nicely. It didn't have check boxes for what he wanted to record in my file.

Fortunately, the man had practiced medicine for 35 years and the computer didn't influence his decisions about going ahead and taking x-rays (needed) and treating me appropriately. But you could sure sense the frustration. Will computerized records and data gathering cause diagnostic and treatment problems which are now unforeseeable? You bet.

I like tech stuff. I'm just uncomfortable that this transition is going to work well.

this is scary.

Hmmm...phishing for MEMBERS?

Has anyone noticed the amount of posts from "ACTION GROUPS" like GOA and NRA, and how they seem to be feeding most of the "ammo shortage" and "hide your gun" posts online?

I understand part of their job is to inform, but some of the recent news items are so over the top and skewed that I find it hard to believe my brethren anymore. I am a gun owner, but not stupid or crazy enough to think there is not SOME self interest in these sites and their "news."

If you lie about the fact that the goverment is FORCING us to pay $10,000 for Gov't insurance (which is not accurate and obvious to anyone who can read the actual bill or more reputable news), the rest of your post is probably BS, too.

Done
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links